Headaches after running?

Options
I always get headaches after I run (either outside on the treadmill) that I can't shift for the rest of the day. I drink a lot after I finish the run so I don't think it could be dehydration. I don't go on particularly long runs either - I'm not usually out for more than half an hour. Does anyone have the same problem/a solution?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    could be potassium
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I get them every now and then, especially if it's really hot outside.

These are some of the things I do:
    drink some pickle juice
    drink some coconut water
    eat a banana
    take a nap
  • BethanyFrerichs
    BethanyFrerichs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get them with cycling. For me it's a food issue..not getting enough and also overdoing it. Once I got within a decent HR range, it hasn't been a problem.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    electrolytes might be off. get a little gatorade in you. but do a 50/50 mix with water, i find it's too sugary straight up.
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I get them too. I figured it was due to exercising prior to breakfast (I like to work out on an empty stomach because having food in my belly makes me feel nauseous. ) However, mine usually go away after I eat and drink more water afterwards.
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    electrolytes might be off. get a little gatorade in you. but do a 50/50 mix with water, i find it's too sugary straight up.

^^ This.

When I first started running I got headaches all the time. Once I started on making sure I was keeping my electrolytes up it got better and they went away.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    One thing that has been suggested to me: Are you taking long, deep breaths while running? Do you hold your breath while pushing hard?

Not feeding your body enough oxygen can cause headaches after you've finished working out.
  • christopherlee147
    christopherlee147 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If it's not hydration related, maybe it's a tension headache. You could be running with your shoulders too high, head tilted forward or backward, maybe clenching your jaw. When you go for your next run, focus on relaxing your hands/arms/shoulders/neck and face.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    always fuel your workouts... food about 45-60 minutes before... and water 15 minutes before and during the workout. it does NOT have to be a turkey dinner with all the fixings... BUT protein and some carbs will go a long way in improving your effort AND hastening your recovery... before you know it YOU will be a monster in your workouts
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I swear by clif builder's bars... and after my Nutritionist had a look she fully endorsed them. excellent protein content and solid carbs... balanced with just enough fibre for a slow consistent energy release
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    2 that come to my mind
    Hydration and or Electrolytes

Yes, You drink a lot after you run but how do you hydrate your body a day before the run maybe 2 days before the run?

My point is - It has to be a everyday thing.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink before you run? I've found that to be just as important as the water I drink after.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    you can drink all the water you want, but if your sodium levels are out of wack (possibly you have a high sweat rate, or lose more sodium than the average person in your sweat) you won't be able to rehydrate properly. I know I have a high sweat rate and can drop up to 6 pounds of sweat in 2 hours. That's about 3 liters. On the low end you can lose about 2500 mg sodium per liter. If I've lost a total of 7500 mg sodium and am consuming less than the usual "recommended" amount of 2300 mg per day, I'll definitely have to make sure I get some extra salty goodness in me for the water to do much good.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I got them too. I was able to prevent them with Indomethacin before exercise. Nothing else worked and believe me, I tried it all.

Now that I lost the weight and am in much better shape, I pretty much never get them anymore.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My head hurts and I want to barf after I run. I do it like 3 times a year ha.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Most likely a hydration/ electrolyte issue. Make sure you're properly hydrated the day before and see if that helps.
  • rc4589
    rc4589 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the help guys. Those are some really helpful ideas.
    electrolytes might be off. get a little gatorade in you. but do a 50/50 mix with water.
    Thanks, I'll have a go at this. Don't think we have gatorade in the UK but I'm sure lucozade will do the same job.
    Are you taking long, deep breaths while running? Do you hold your breath while pushing hard? Not feeding your body enough oxygen can cause headaches after you've finished working out.
    This is an interesting point. I know I forget to breathe when I'm rock climbing and trying something really hard, and I only know because it's been pointed out to me. I'll concentrate on breathing properly next time I go for a run.
    If it's not hydration related, maybe it's a tension headache. You could be running with your shoulders too high, head tilted forward or backward, maybe clenching your jaw.
    Thanks for the idea. I do tend to clench my jaw/grind my teeth quite a lot. I'll try and focus on relaxing my head and neck next time.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    you can drink all the water you want, but if your sodium levels are out of wack (possibly you have a high sweat rate, or lose more sodium than the average person in your sweat) you won't be able to rehydrate properly. I know I have a high sweat rate and can drop up to 6 pounds of sweat in 2 hours. That's about 3 liters. On the low end you can lose about 2500 mg sodium per liter. If I've lost a total of 7500 mg sodium and am consuming less than the usual "recommended" amount of 2300 mg per day, I'll definitely have to make sure I get some extra salty goodness in me for the water to do much good.

This. I ran a 10k last weekend and had a brutal headache all afternoon... It was the first race of the season where I had truly sweat a lot. If you sweat heavily and get even a little behind on your hydration, it can be tough.