Plain v. Vanilla yogurt

Options
mayharmony
mayharmony Posts: 16 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I got some plain yogurt because I eat a ton of vanilla yogurt and always go over on sugar and thought the yogurt was partially to blame. However I realized the plain yogurt has 16g of sugar while the vanilla only has 13g. Both are nonfat. The vanilla yogurt has fructose and sucarlose listed in the ingredients while the plain is just milk & pectin.

Which is healthier? Or does it matter? They are the same amount of calories but plain has more protien

Replies

• lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You're confusing sugar and added sugar. Yogurt has lactose which is a sugar. So you'll get that no matter what kind of yogurt. Sucralose and fructose are added to the vanilla yogurt to make it taste sweeter. I would go with plain Greek yogurt and add what I want to it. Berries, honey, whatever. I like the higher protein. You have to choose which you like better and which fits your goals best.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    themaybird wrote: »
    I got some plain yogurt because I eat a ton of vanilla yogurt and always go over on sugar and thought the yogurt was partially to blame. However I realized the plain yogurt has 16g of sugar while the vanilla only has 13g. Both are nonfat. The vanilla yogurt has fructose and sucarlose listed in the ingredients while the plain is just milk & pectin.

Which is healthier? Or does it matter? They are the same amount of calories but plain has more protien

does not matter.

hit your calorie/micro/macro targets that is what matters…not what type of yogurt you eat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For the same amount of calories, you get more protein with the plain. 'Seems a great choice.
  • mayharmony
    mayharmony Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I get vanilla or fruity yogurts because I don't like plain yogurt and don't much care about sugar tracking. Unless you have a medical reason to limit sugar I'd just buy what you like and not sweat it.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Flavored yogurt has way too much added sugar, and nonfat yogurt is an anathema.
    Give me plain, full fat yogurt, or no yogurt at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Flavored yogurt has way too much added sugar, and nonfat yogurt is an anathema.
    Give me plain, full fat yogurt, or no yogurt at all.

who cares?

as long as you do not have a medical condition there is no need to avoid sugar…

unless of course eating sugary things puts you in a caloric surplus all the time, or blows out your macros, and does not allow you to hit your micros...