I need more protein in my diet I'm vegetarian

Options
2»

Replies

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    abbier98 wrote: »
    I have decided to be lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Been a couple weeks and going great. Just want some ideas for protein and such. I tried a veggie burger...actually didn't enjoy it due to its texture. I would also like maybe some meat substitute. Please give me some ideas. Thank you :)

Lupini beans. 1/2 cup = 22 grams of protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm a steak-pork-chicken-turkey-seafood-vegetarian. I seem to get plenty of protein.

I am a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, and so do I.
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Nuts and cheese, but watch out for the fat content, especially in nuts. They are extremely calorie rich.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a texture replacement for meat, perhaps try a black bean patty, tofu, or mushrooms. Every once in a while I make a stir-fry with tofu where the vegetables and the tofu are all julienned. It's super easy and the texture is pleasing. I like medium-firm tofu. I'm just discovering mushrooms and I now keep dehydrated shiitake mushrooms on hand when I feel like cooking with them.

proteinchart-e1364771524680.jpg

Don't forget the beans, lentils, and grains. There's surprises in there. Buckwheat has 13g of protein.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got tired of store bought veggie burgers esp cause of the soy content in some of them...so i make my own

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/
  • abbier98
    abbier98 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    a lot of cheese isn't vegetarian though so be careful because many brands use animal rennet
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Black beans, lentils, nuts, quinoa.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    And mushrooms and chick peas.
  • jpcstudios
    jpcstudios Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. Plant Head protein shakes. Clif bars. Vegetarian refried beans. These are all vegan.
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really like VEGA protein powder! It is all plant based and can be mixed into smoothies with kale, banana, berries and some almond milk! Spirulina is also a great source of protein.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan 3 years now. Don't worry about protein. You don't need nearly as much as you think.
    That said, beans, rice, potatoes, and whole wheat are great sources. Look up potatostrong.com
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5iii wrote: »
    I've been a vegan 3 years now. Don't worry about protein. You don't need nearly as much as you think.
    That said, beans, rice, potatoes, and whole wheat are great sources. Look up potatostrong.com

Protein is the most important macronutrient for muscle growth and retention. Many people could probably benefit from more than they get, particularly if active or in a caloric deficit. Rice and potatoes have a pretty low protein content for the calories.
  • abbier98
    abbier98 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    5iii wrote: »

Protein is the most important macronutrient for muscle growth and retention. Many people could probably benefit from more than they get, particularly if active or in a caloric deficit. Rice and potatoes have a pretty low protein content for the calories.

Like look. I'm a soccer player. I'm the goal keeper and need too keep up to my nutrients as well.