What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You’re not using a food scale to measure your food intake. Cutting sugar and carbs has nothing to do with weight loss - it is in no way necessary. All you need to do to lose weight is maintain a caloric deficit. Your food tracking looks inconsistent and I see a lot of things measured in cups. I thus expect you’re probably just eating more than you think, so you aren’t maintaining the deficit you need to lose the weight.

I would also suggest you only eat back about half of your exercise calories, because the burns are usually overestimated.

I also see you’re on 1,200 calories a day. You have less than 30 lbs to lose, so maybe consider a less aggressive goal, so that it’s more sustainable, easier to do, and a lot more fun.

I can’t speak to your being fatigued… has this only started happening since you’ve been tracking your calories? Don’t be discouraged, you will get there, you just need to improve the accuracy of your logging.

Edit: You’ve only been doing this since April 6? Gosh, it’s early days! I gained weight for about a month and a half, due to water retention because of exercising, and then eventually it started consistently coming off. Patience is key! :smile:
  • sjb5577
    sjb5577 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    you are not weighing your food consistently or accurately. you're eating more than you think you are.

sugar and carbs do not make a difference. how many calories you put in your body does.

you lose weight in the kitchen, not in the gym.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    But you can burn the calories you eat in the kitchen in the gym. Why doesn't anyone get this?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    But you can burn the calories you eat in the kitchen in the gym. Why doesn't anyone get this?

You can never out-exercise a bad diet.

Calorie deficit for weight loss.

Strength training to maintain muscle mass while you lose.

Cardio for fitness, and to have a bit more calories to eat.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Who said you had to have a bad diet? If you have a great diet eating all the right foods and don't exercise, you might maintain your weight. If you cut those calories by say, 20%, then you will lose weight. But if you continue the great diet eating all the right foods and exercise 20% of those calories, you will lose weight. I would rather continue eating the great diet and exercise 20% of the calories than cut back 20% of the calories and not exercise.
  • blankiefinder
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Most people were eating in a surplus before deciding to diet, or they wouldn't need to diet. Most people are calculating their calorie deficit from their maintenance calories, but it is a much larger drop from what they had been eating previously.

Scrolling back, I can't find anything specific your comment "But you can burn the calories you eat in the kitchen in the gym. Why doesn't anyone get this?" was in reference to for any other context than face value.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Ok say i logged my calories for the day into my diary this morning. After doing this it puts me 500 calories over my budget. Cant i then just go out and burn 500-600 calories today to put me back down into a deficit?
    Is this classed as out-exercising a bad diet?

• atypicalsmith
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't even get where the phrase "You can never out-exercise a bad diet" came from. It doesn't make any sense at all. I've heard it more than once, not just from this poster, and never does it make sense.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Ok say i logged my calories for the day into my diary this morning. After doing this it puts me 500 calories over my budget. Cant i then just go out and burn 500-600 calories today to put me back down into a deficit?

Considering that your "budget" already includes a deficit ... I'd say no.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    menopause
    My mom has gone through this believe me
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Most of your days are completely blank. On the days you have logged most of them are incomplete. If you don't log consistently then you don't know how many calories you are really consuming.

If you already know what you are planning on eating for the day, you can always fill out your diary ahead of time. Take advantage of the quick tools to copy meals from a previous day. The more you log the more foods you will have in your recent and favorite foods and it will make logging a lot easier too.

This link is a great read on how to log accurately.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Use a food scale to weigh everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

• blankiefinder
    Options

I think you missed the last sentence in that quote, that you can do cardio for more calories to eat.

If you are eating in a deficit, I wouldn't consider going over by 500 calories to be a 'bad diet', I would consider it to be eating at maintenance (if set for 1 lb loss per week) or a deficit (if set for 2 lbs per week).

I would consider a bad diet to be eating in a surplus on a daily basis when you are trying to lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen. Start logging and you'll lose.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    To echo some of the posters here, there are quite a few days of no logging or partial logging. This really does prevent you from seeing the totality of what you're eating.

How are you measuring the burn from your exercise calories? MFP and the read from cardio machines are both notorious for being inaccurately high.

If you're too fatigued and exhausted at the end of the day to even log, that could be a sign that you're not eating enough to supply your body with the nutrients and energy it needs to get you through the day. How did you decide on 1200 calories a day?

You also might consider swapping out some of the simple/simpler carb choices for more complex carb options. Like trade in the brown rice for quinoa. Don't make a ton changes fell swoop, just try a new swap a week. Little changes that you integrate in are often easier to sustain.