Gaining weight while exercising!? help!

Options
I started circuit training and 30 minute cardio and when i got on the scale i had gained a pound. I know a pound isn't a lot, but i had steady weight loss until i started working out. Why could this be? My diet has stayed the same. I'm eating anywhere from 1000-1500 calories per day and maintaining a low carb diet. I go to the gym 3x a week. I normally do 30 mins of cardio, 40 mins of ciruit training, 15 mins of 5lb free weights, and usually a stretch or medicine ball for my cool down. Any suggestions or advice will help! Thanks.

Replies

• BbRubyQ
    BbRubyQ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is probably gaining of muscle there are people who stay the same weight but lose a ton of inches. Try measuring and see if that makes a difference.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Could be just water weight. Every now and then when u jump on the scale my weight will go up 1-2 pounds, but by the next day or 2 it will be back down again. It very normal to weight to jump up and down within a few pounds.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That isn't eat enough if you're working out that much. I do 60 mins of weights and eat 1700 calories. If I play volleyball and lift weights then my calorie intake is 3000 and I'm losing a pound a week. Is MFP suggesting you eat that little?
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    A pound is very normal fluctuation. You might have gained a pound because you're still digesting a big dinner from the day before, or you started a day off with a glass of water. You might have had a lot of sodium and be holding some water. Seriously, so many things. None of them mean you're doing a bad job. Try to look at the bigger picture and not stress about one weigh in that didn't go perfectly.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    BbRubyQ wrote: »
    It is probably gaining of muscle there are people who stay the same weight but lose a ton of inches. Try measuring and see if that makes a difference.

It is absolutely not muscle.

It could be:
    > water retention - though low carb tends to drop water weight easy in my experience
    > digestive system contents
    > ate back too many exercise calories

It definitely is:
    > within the normal realm of day to day weight fluctuation

• LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you're 100% spot on with your food tracking(weighing food, know actual caloric values of what you're eating) and are eating at a deficit, it's water. New workout routines can commonly cause your body to retain water. I also would definitely not eat any less than 1200 calories a day if you're working out that much, or ever. There's no reason you need to eat as few as 1k calories, and if you are, you shouldn't be doing it without medical supervision.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Water retention.

This is why weight is such a horrible data point. Measure your body (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, upper legs) and take pictures. That is a much better set of data to see progress on fat loss.
  • robbie_ely
    robbie_ely Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My weight loss is being monitored by my doctor and I make it a priority to eat 1500 calories on workout days but was given the ok to eat less on off days. I was just worried I would gain more. Clothes are fitting better and I'm full of energy which is exactly what I was hoping would happen. I will admit I don't weigh my food , but I do measure. Looks like a food scale is a very near future purchase. Again thanks for taking the time to respond, I feel better.
  • robbie_ely
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    That isn't eat enough if you're working out that much. I do 60 mins of weights and eat 1700 calories. If I play volleyball and lift weights then my calorie intake is 3000 and I'm losing a pound a week. Is MFP suggesting you eat that little?

MFP suggests 1500 calories a day.
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight doesn't mean you are getting bigger.. Your weight depends on what you are the day before & if it's still in your stomach, if you've gone #2 yet or not, how heavy your clothes are, ect.. Don't stress over a pound or 2
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    robbie_ely wrote: »
    lulucitron wrote: »

MFP suggests 1500 calories a day.

1500 Is fine, i think it is best to try stay over 1200. I ate 1600 to loose weight. And now that I have lost my weight my maintenance calories is 1900
  • danni988
    danni988 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your measurements and I know it sounds a bit vain but take progress photos I did this when I started training post baby and even though I may have only lost 7lbs in 4 months I've lost 21in around my body and gone down 2 dress sizes I sometimes fluctuate on the weight side of things too but don't get too hung up on it you're doing fab! Xx
  • robbie_ely
    Options
    danni988 wrote: »
    Try tracking your measurements and I know it sounds a bit vain but take progress photos I did this when I started training post baby and even though I may have only lost 7lbs in 4 months I've lost 21in around my body and gone down 2 dress sizes I sometimes fluctuate on the weight side of things too but don't get too hung up on it you're doing fab! Xx

Thanks ladies!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    BbRubyQ wrote: »
    My situation haha
    i gained about 6 pounds went from 115-121 pounds but at the same time losted about 6 inches all over