Is there something wrong with my back? Whenever I lay down to exercise (or in general) there's a gap

No I'm not giving a thumbs up in the pic, I'm holding onto the bar. Anyways, when I lay down to exercise on a weight machine, there's always a gap around my back area. I'm starting to become concerned that I'm either swaybacked or have a damaged spine. If it's neither one then what do you assume it could be? I tried lying down on my carpeted floor and still the same thing. My friend (male) however can lay flat without any gap in his back.

20i9eoo.jpg

I'm lying on the machine all the way down to my knees. The picture just came out diagonal.

Replies

• Bex_hostie
    Bex_hostie Posts: 52 Member
    Hi I have exactly the same as you. It's called a 'hollow back'. Its not necessarily a bad thing but can lead to back problems in future apparently. The reason I know this is because I had a bad back injury when younger and when I told the doctor at a check up that my back doesn't touch he said it's called a hollow back. There's more info on the web if you google x
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    @rebeccachance thank you. I'm looking some things up about it on wiki, now. Did you have to end up getting surgery? Or are there natural remedies to straighten it? Unless it's unfixable.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Women are supposed to have a curve like that. Men have a very different hip and pelvis so it makes sense that your make friend does not have a hollow. You don't need to fix it. It is just how your body is made.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I have the same thing... it makes any kind of crunches/leg raises very painful, so I just gotta be careful with the exercises I chose
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I have this same problem, I just chalked it up to me having a really round butt. :D
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I can do that... Or I can flatten my back,by tilting my bum/pelvis. Some exercises you should look like that!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Pretty sure that is normal, mine is like that. Plus with your legs bent down at the knees like that is probably making it gap more.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    it looks normal to *me*
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Normal. Backs have a natural curvature, they aren’t straight. As long as the curve is not side to side, you’re fine.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Maybe you can set a record like this girl. :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV2stv8Iplk
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    That's normal. Everyone I know has that when they lie down. In fact I'd find it pretty unusual if you didn't have a spinal curve like that. It would make me wonder what was going on with your *kitten* or think you had an anterior pelvic tilt.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Looks normal to me too. If you put your feet up on the bench does your back straighten most of the way out like it should?
  • cranberrytape
    cranberrytape Posts: 29 Member
    Women generally have a more exaggerated spinal curvature, and the size of your butt/hips can also affect whether your back is able to rest flat against the floor. But only your doctor can tell you whether it's normal for you or whether it poses a risk to your health. Do you find it difficult to sit or stand up straight? Do some exercises cause back pain, not just discomfort? Do you have chronic pain in your lower back and the surrounding areas? All of these things are important to take into consideration. If it's not causing any pain or discomfort then I wouldn't be concerned, but it's worth mentioning to your doctor if you find that it's disrupting your exercise routine or normal daily activities.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Looks normal to me too. If you put your feet up on the bench does your back straighten most of the way out like it should?
    Tried that and nope. Like I said, not even when I lay on my floor lol. But thanks for your advice everyone. I'll take it as a natural thing.

• Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    It's the natural curve of the back. I have a small curve like that. But I'm quite chubby and with my butt and back flab I've actually gotten my back suctioned to the bottom of the bathtub :/
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I have had that my whole life. I have never had a dr say anything about it but, I was born with spina bifida myleomeningocele so I have had issues with my spine from the get go,
  • Bex_hostie
    Bex_hostie Posts: 52 Member
    A natural curvature of the spine is natural in a woman but not to the extent that it hurts with certain exercises or you can't get it flat in any position. It's called hollow back and if you googled it you'll see it very much is a condition. I had an injury growing up and I've since been told when I've asked in physio that I need to strengthen my back as much as possible as with a hollow back you're more likely to have back problems when you're older. Natural curviture is one thing but if it aches or anything like that it isn't. It has plenty of information on the Internet which has helped me. It's when I do these exercise classes and they shout get your back on the floor! Errrr I can't?! Lol xx
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    It's perfectly normal to have a curve in your lumbar. You should be able to work on flattening your back down (with your feet on the floor- knees pointing to the ceiling)- you might not be able to get your back flat flat- but you can improve that with your mobility with working on tipping your pelvis up and down- like I said you may not get completely flat- but you can work on it.