How do you deal with calories burned at work?

Options
red_lady
red_lady Posts: 7 Member
I work as a line cook which is a pretty active job. I know I burn a lot of calories during my day but I can't wear a monitor of any kind in the kitchen. How can I keep my numbers accurate?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's what your activity level accounts for...everything you do that isn't physical exercise.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Set your profile to a higher activity level it will give you additional calories...gauge how you go over a weeks and see if you need to reset...depending on your current weight average weight loss will be 1lb to 2lb per week, possibly more if you have a lot of weight to lose.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can't have anything on my arms at work but I have a fitbit that I wear on my bra. No-one knows it's there because it's under my clothes. Couldn't you use something like that?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Id get a Fitbit zip or One. They clip onto your clothing so you won't have a problem wearing the at work. I've done that job. Spent 10 years in the last place working the Expo line and pantry. It's a tough job. I hope you are i a place that treats you well. Yeah you are burning a lot of energy and keeping track of it will be helpful for you. If you can't go that route set your activity level to active. Be very very careful of grazing. It is so easy when you are surrounded by food all day. After all quality assurance,,,, right? "p

• PostExamsHealthBinge
    PostExamsHealthBinge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You don't count everyday living calories being burnt such as working because that's something you do everyday, this is a key mistake people make. You are here to make a CHANGE, counting everyday tasks isn't a change.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You don't count everyday living calories being burnt such as working because that's something you do everyday, this is a key mistake people make. You are here to make a CHANGE, counting everyday tasks isn't a change.

No but if your job is a more active one, your TDEE will be higher with or without exercise. That's why MFP has different activity level settings, which will give you a higher calorie baseline and allow you to have a reasonable and sustainable deficit.

OP as others have said I would probably start with lightly active and see how your body reacts, as a line cook you are on your feet but not covering a lot of distance. If that still seems low or you are losing weight too quickly then you can up it to active.
  • 9mike
    9mike Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    red_lady wrote: »
    I work as a line cook which is a pretty active job. I know I burn a lot of calories during my day but I can't wear a monitor of any kind in the kitchen. How can I keep my numbers accurate?

use a fitbit or jawbone it counts everything I wear one at my job
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I can't have anything on my arms at work but I have a fitbit that I wear on my bra. No-one knows it's there because it's under my clothes. Couldn't you use something like that?
    +1 for this suggestion. i'd recommend the jawbone up move. it's a fantastic little device and i wear it clipped to my bra because my office is a little formal for a silicone band on my wrist. still totally accurate, and no one knows i'm wearing it. no food safety issues, still a good tracker.

also, you'll want to adjust your everyday activity level to account for the level of activity you do at work. that's a part of your everyday life, not intentional exercise. your base calorie level should therefore be increased a bit to account for that. then, get some intentional exercise on the side and you'll be all set :)
  • bonnie8486
    bonnie8486 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and love it. It's out of sight and goes everywhere. The wrist version would drive me crazy with the typing, cooking and cleaning that I do. Also, for me the habit of posting everything is important. If it goes in my mouth, I log it. This creates the life change by making sure that extra spoonful of leftovers is not ignored, especially water. Once your habit and your frequent foods are listed, tracking is easy. I log throughout the day as it happens, but when that is not possible, I log it later, as close as I can estimate. It works for me!

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm a school custodian and walk 2 1/2 to 3 miles a day just doing my job. My activity level is set at lightly active and that works well for me
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm a preschool teacher in an extremely large facility. I walk at least 1.5 miles back and forth across the building and up and down the stairs several times each day. Plus I'm getting up and down off the floor and from children's sized chairs at least 100 times a day, running races, climbing monkey bars, chasing tantruming children, carrying tantruming children, doing the Hokey Pokey and Yoga and all sorts of kid-oriented exercise activities. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I rarely sit. I often drip sweat and pant from exertion. Yet, doing all that...I still managed to gain 50+ pounds in 26 years. I count my job as 'lightly active' and then just use the calorie goal that MFP gave me. I only count intentional exercise as exercise.
  • frazz007
    frazz007 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I stick a fitbit in my pocket. My hands are free and it doesnt show. It synchs with myfitness pal and adds calories to my quota. I shoot to eat about half of those extra calories. My work has big swings in activity. Some days I walk 5 miles and some days I sit all day. The fitbit helps me figure out what calorie target to use.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    red_lady wrote: »

Fitbit zip in your bra, on your waistband
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I agree. I work a very active job were Im walking and bending and climbing stairs and I wear a vivofit and I don't get very manys steps in during my work day and I'm non-stop on my feet (sad) but, true.