Favorite healthy road trip foods?

Options
I'm going away this weekend, all by myself! No hubby or kids. The awesome thing about this is that I have a 4 hour car ride (each way) during which I DON'T have to stop at a fast food place AT ALL!

So I'm trying to plan my meal/snacks for the road. I'm going to bring a small cooler with ice packs, so I can bring some cold stuff, but obviously can't have anything I'll need to heat up. I'll need lunch and a bunch of healthy, filling snacks.

So what are your favorites?

Replies

• tanyamg
    tanyamg Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going on a trip soon myself, heading back up to Chicago and considering the same thing. If you need to/want to stop, Subway is always a good choice, the veggie on wheat no cheese, all veggies, with mustard is really good. Also you could try carrots, fruit, cut up apples into slices, you could make sandwiches.. goodluck girl!
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    First of all congrats on the kid free hubby free trip! I am getting ready to go on my first road trip with my kids alone next week, and have been considering the same question of what to bring to eat so we don't have to eat fast food. I think we will already have eaten breakfast, so only need to worry about lunch and dinner. I plan to make turkey or ham sandwhiches to put in an ice chest, and going to bring bananas and grapes for snacks. Will also probably take granolla bars and string cheese. The kids of course will have pretzels and gold fish as well! Good luck, and have fun!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Are you stopping to eat or are you noshing while driving?

Proteins--
    the tuna that comes in pouches
    hard boiled eggs
    nuts
    cheese

fresh veg & hummus
    (baby carrots, sliced orange peppers, cucumbers)

fruit

Snacks
    Trader Joe's Chocolately Cats Cookies for People

Trader Joe's Baked tortilla chips and
    Trader Joe's Avocado's Number or
    Trader Joe's Spicy Black bean Dip or
    Trader Joe's Corn & Chile Salsa

Trader Joe's roasted seaweed snack
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I am a fruitaholic so I'd say a few pieces of fruit for sure.

A cheese stick or a few wedges of laughing cow cheese.

A few avocado wedges wrapped in a piece of lettuce or luncheon meat- avocado has a lot of calories but it's so yummy and satisfying.

One of my favorite tricks is to get one of those small round reusable glad food containers Put a quarter cup of hummus in the bottom and then stand up a bunch of carrot sticks in the hummus. It makes for easy dipping in the car.

Crab/lobster roll. YUMMMMEEEEEEEE Take a whole grain wrap or pita (plan on 150 cals for the wrap) and fill with lettuce, sprouts, veg and some crab or lobster salad. I make mine with REAL HOMEMADE MAYO but I only use a tablespoon. So figure 150 cals for the wrap, 100 cals for the crab, 100 cals for the mayo and a trivial amount of cals for the veggies, That's 375 calories for an AMAZING treat. It keeps well in a cooler.

So this is a lot of food and I wouldn't eat it all on a four hour road trip, but it's nice to have variety to choose from. Have a fun time!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit....banana, apple, strawberries, cuties (already peeled)
    bagged, cut veggies....carrots, celery, cauliflower, pepper or cucumber slices
    whole unsalted nuts....almond, walnut, sunflower (could make your own trail mix)
    Kashi cereals with no milk
    protein bars
    protein drinks already mixed and/or bought
    laughing cow cheese wedges or any cheeses
    sandwiches...tuna salad, chicken breast

(2) 32 oz water canteen w/lemon slices...for each way. HAVE FUN!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    We made a sixteen hour each way trip a few months ago with ham sandwiches on multi grain bread, apple slices, hard boiled eggs, cheese, veggies and nuts.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    String cheese, hard boiled eggs, cut up veggies and fruit. Maybe a tortilla filled with hummus, turkey, spinach. Have fun!
  • Sarahdangerfox
    Options
    Oooooh girl you are LUCKY! Have a great time and enjoy the quiet and solitude :) Here are some yummy suggestions:

-veggies with hummus (the Eating Right brand from Safeway has the lowest calories, or it is super easy to make yourself with little or no olive oil)
    -hard boiled eggs
    -laughing cow lite cheese wedges
    -Trader Joe's has this great whole wheat lavash that's like 100 calories for a huge sheet- perfect for making wraps on the go. I like to do turkey+light laughing cow wedge or low fat cream cheese+sprouts+spinach
    -fat free jello pudding snacks for when that sweet tooth hits. That chocolate vanilla swirl is YUMMO...for an extra yummy treat I like to dip a banana in it.

Have fun!
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    Favorite healthy road trip foods:

1. Small cut up chunks of fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, and grapes)

2. String cheese

3. Sandwiches (without the mayo or mustard and on 1 slice of bread).

4. Huge bottle of water and juice (Gatorade).

5. Peanuts/Almond/Cashews mix (I prefer honey roasted type).