Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hypothyroid and struggling to lose!

Hi all! I've been here a while but continuing to struggle with weight loss. I have Hypothyroidism and am a recent stage 3 breast cancer survivor. I'm trying to eat healthier and lose at least 20lbs but it seems impossible! Food is my weakness..

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    If your hypothyroidism is under control, it won't stop you from losing weight. However, certain cancer drugs might. It's really going to come down to controlling your calorie intake. Will cut and paste my general advice:

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories. Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the stickies at the top of the various forums such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants

Best of luck with your recovery and weight loss!! <3
  • mom4two
    mom4two Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the tips! :)
  • I have hypothyroidism as well, it doesn't help weight loss for sure. Best of luck with your challenges. If you need any help let me know.
  • mom4two
    Thanks for the support! :)
  • jpulp
    jpulp Posts: 19 Member
    Not to get terribly off track, but how did you find out you have hypothyroidism? I feel like I have some of the symptoms, but had a TSH test and my test results were in the high of normal2(2.58).

As far as weight loss, I've struggled since high school(20 years ago) with weight. I've recently lost 20 pounds in a about a month and a half simply by tracking everything here on MFP and walking 2-3 miles 6 days a week. The hardest part, as most know, is mental. Just saying no once is huge. Saying no 2-3-4 time is monumental and will eventually become a habit.
  • APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    I'm hypothyroid as well (although the standard tests have always shown me as borderline low normal) - and I'm realizing that I really will need to track what makes me feel better and what makes me feel worse. Sugars and sweeteners create all kinds of inflammation in me although naturally sweet foods (fruits, sweet potatoes, honey, etc ) don't have the same effect. I've learned I need iodine (even though I'm on thyroid meds) and I've also learned that I feel more energetic when I'm eating lean proteins and fruit/veggie type carbs. As for exercise, I'm doing it, but I'm not overdoing it because I know that in rare cases it can really screw with your thyroid and even throw it into overdrive... and our family tends to be filled with "rare cases", lol. Oh, and sleep - I need 8 hours to feel my best, although I'm usually lucky to get six.

My biggest problem with the hashi's right now is that it's causing some edema -this week I'll be working on eating "clean" to avoid the salt in processed food. There's so much they don't know about the thyroid and medical views seem to change weekly. Good luck in finding what works for you!
  • mom4two
    jpulp wrote: »
    Not to get terribly off track, but how did you find out you have hypothyroidism? I feel like I have some of the symptoms, but had a TSH test and my test results were in the high of normal2(2.58).

As far as weight loss, I've struggled since high school(20 years ago) with weight. I've recently lost 20 pounds in a about a month and a half simply by tracking everything here on MFP and walking 2-3 miles 6 days a week. The hardest part, as most know, is mental. Just saying no once is huge. Saying no 2-3-4 time is monumental and will eventually become a habit.

Make sure the doctor is also checking your T3 and T4 level. I made them check for a few years before they found I was hypo. If you feel like something is wrong, it probably is..
  • mom4two
    I have such a problem with food! It seems like if I like it, I'll eat it, even if it makes me feel bad. I don't know why I do this! I know I need to stop, but it's very hard for me!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1