Walking Shoes for Obese People

Options
I'm about 250 pounds overweight (well, 230 pounds overweight as of this morning), and I've begun walking a bit more to get things started. I have a Misfit Flash, and on any average non-diet day I walk about 5500 steps in my go-to pair of Chuck Taylors. I've tried upping that to 7000 steps a day, but i haven't been successful 2 days in a row because every time i make it, my feet (particularly my heels) kill me for at least a day. This week i hit it Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, but i want to be consistent and i don't want to develop a hatred for walking. For now I'm blaming it on the shoes...so where do i start when going to find a good pair of walking shoes?

Replies

• Irisdupree33
    Irisdupree33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Where I live, I went to a store called Blue Mile. The do a walk analysis and recommend shoes based on how you walk. I have flat feet and tend to roll to the outside. The tennis shoes are a little higher than what you buy in Kohl's or the Finish Line or somewhere, but my sales rep spent over an hour with me, making sure I got a good fit. Then they also have a 15 day return policy, even if they have obviously been worn. I returned mine on day 7, after wearing them for 4 of the 7 days because they ended up being small in the toe. I got the next bigger size, and it reset my days to return. Days 15-30 you can do an even exchange. And now I walk about 6,000 to 7,000 steps a day. I have about 240 lbs to lose.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd recommend going to your local running store. They will fit you properly with a shoe that matches your foot (width, arch, gait, pronation). It should feel good right off the bat. If after using a proper shoe and the pain doesn't subside, seek a podiatrist which may be able to correct any alignment issues placing extra stress on your feet.

Also, have them measure you foot every time you get a new pair. Your feet may change. When I started, I went from a size 10.5 to an 11 to a 12. As you age and your body changes, your feet do to.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    An outdoors shop, get hiking shoes. Might want to consider an orthotic insole of some sort, if you arches aren't super strong already.

I used to wear ballet flats and got plantar fasciitis which took over a year to heal. So get those inserts!

My walking shoes are by Merrell
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    And consider getting a half size bigger. My feet tend to swell as exercise continues. My first pair fit great. Walks and short runs were fine. As I increased my steps the shoes were no longer fine :neutral:, lesson learned.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store that can help you find shoes for your gait. I bought Saucony shoes that feel great when I walk long distances or when I run. Any time I wear my Chuck Taylor's for a long period of time my feet and legs always hurt!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go to a running store. your feet will thank you!
  • keishakylejohnson
    keishakylejohnson Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am about 130lbs overweight as well and would love to know some brands I could get that would relieve feet pain. Right now i've got Nike Fitsole shoes and there okay, but I walked 3 miles yesterday. When I got home and took my shoes off I had to put them back on, it felt almost like my feet were raw or something and I had to have the cushion of the shoe on them. Great great question! =)