New and a bit daunted by MFP - Vancouver

LisaMighton
LisaMighton Posts: 51 Member
edited April 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi I'm new, from Vancouver, 49, and would love to lose 30-40 lbs.
I have lots of questions. Like, do people weigh all their foods?? I just had some slices of cheese and have no idea how many ounces it was. Plus lots of the options for something I've eaten that I type in, seem to indicate brand names I've never heard of in Canada?
Thanks for info!

Replies

• dbzgt12
    dbzgt12 Posts: 11 Member
    You should weigh. I don't yet. So I just try to guess how much they weigh and be as accurate as possible
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    welcome aboard. weighing and measuring is important on MFP. I have a good food scale and I try to weigh everything and track in my food diary to the best of my ability. after a while you will get good at eyeballing a portion but it is still better to be as accurate as possible. If I can't find a brand name product I use a generic if it is available. the counts may be a little off but it is better than not counting at all.
    don't worry if you don't understand everything at once. Just try to learn something everyday.
  • CaribooKit
    CaribooKit Posts: 6 Member
    welcome playethic. I'm from BC too. I second the opinion to get a scale. You'd be surprised how many servings of that cheese that you're actually having. I've really cut back on it. Really have to be diligent weighing calorie dense food. I originally was just measuring but it was a real eye opener when i finally bought a scale. Once you get all your frequent foods entered it's not such a challenge. If you're using the mobile app you can scan the barcode which quickens the pace as well. Keeping track of your macros is a big plus too. Too easy for me to eat too many carbs, not enough protein and too little fibre if I don't keep on top of it. Everyday is a challenge but I find it fun tracking. I'm seeing results too. closing in on twenty five lbs since new years. You can do it too.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    playethic wrote: »
    Hi I'm new, from Vancouver, 49, and would love to lose 30-40 lbs.
    I have lots of questions. Like, do people weigh all their foods?? I just had some slices of cheese and have no idea how many ounces it was. Plus lots of the options for something I've eaten that I type in, seem to indicate brand names I've never heard of in Canada?
    Thanks for info!

Also in Canada. Buy a food scale. When searching for a food, put in the brand name and that will help. When dining in a global restaurant, put in Canada in the food search title. Example Tim Hortons large double double coffee Canada

Double check the nutrition on each item you log with the package you have in hand (or corporate websites) to make sure it is a correct entry, lots of wrong entries in the database (especially for things like the aforementioned double double).

Weigh your food & log accurately.
  • bredaclarke67
    bredaclarke67 Posts: 45 Member
    Weighing is important. You'd be surprised how much more you're eating than you think! I started weighing 3 weeks ago and was stumped to find my breakfast cereal was almost twice the size I thought it was. No wonder my weight wouldn't shift!
  • melbelgibson
    melbelgibson Posts: 4 Member
    Weighing actually shows you exactly what you're eating. Before I started weighing my food, I would "guesstimate" and it turned out I was sabotaging myself over and over. And I'm goig through the same issue with non-canadian brands. There's a few too many options. :)