Do you record

Options
Do you guys record Milk? I was told by someone I highly respect that its so good for you it doesn't count

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    NO WAY! There's natural fat, sodium, and protein in it. I log EVERYTHING I eat unless I literally can't.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Do you guys record Milk? I was told by someone I highly respect that its so good for you it doesn't count
    :huh: It can be a good food choice. All foods count though as they have calories in them as well as some having carbs, sodium, fats etc.

So absolutely I record dairy products.
  • allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, just because of the calories. But I do log everything!
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I count everything, whilst milk is good for you it still has quite a calorise.
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    definitely! even no fat milk has calories.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

It has calories, fat (depending on what you have) and a fairly high sugar content (IMO), so of course I log it.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I might be the wrong person to ask since I'm not really on the milk bandwagon... In cultures in Africa where they don't drink milk from cows, osteoporosis is basically unheard of! So I limit my milk intake and try to get my calcium from plant-based sources. But to each his own!
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    if it passes your lips, log it.
    then you have honest info to work with.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Scratching my head... what kind of logic is that?!? I record everything... because I like to not only keep track of the basics (fats, cals, proteins, carbs)... I also monitor my calcium, potassium, sodium, sugar, and vitamin levels.

Record everything... ev-ery-thing.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    if it passes your lips, log it.
    then you have honest info to work with.

this!
  • mere282
    mere282 Posts: 3
    Options
    I record everything :smile:
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I would record everything. Gives you a better idea of what your doing right and wrong.. If I gain 10 lbs I can go back and look at my sodium intake and everything else and go "OH RIGHT" I had tacos or I ended up drinking 4 glasses of milk which added this many calories and I didn't work out. K this gain makes sense. Or vice versa if I lose 10lbs I can look back at what I've eaten roughly see what my caloric intake was and see if I should adjust my numbers or not.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    In the morning, I used to have roughly 1 1/2 cups of milk IN my cereal and 2-3 cups in a glass to drink along w/ my cereal. Now that I'm tracking, its 1 cup in cereal and 1 cup to drink. Its still really good for me, but not killing the calories. But yes, count it.
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ERrrr since when has milk been a super food?

just replying to all the "milk is good for you" posts lol

i would not say its bad for you but its definaitly not a must in a diet!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    1.) milk IS good for most people (not lactose intolerant I guess).

BUT- a little known fact is that "raw milk" is best, although a lot of states made it illegal. Studies have shown that even lactose intolerant people can drink raw milk. It's not milk that is bad, it is (duh) what people DO to it with all the processing, that is bad. Adding hormones, ultra pasteurizing, etc.

Milk is NOT bad. Fat is not bad. Processing is bad. Google it and read if you don't believe me.

but it does "count" on here. . ha ha I think everything counts in a food diary.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I might be the wrong person to ask since I'm not really on the milk bandwagon... In cultures in Africa where they don't drink milk from cows, osteoporosis is basically unheard of! So I limit my milk intake and try to get my calcium from plant-based sources. But to each his own!

That's funny because I just saw a documentary where Africans drank milk and complained that our dairy tasted like crap. . not like real food. (the processing and added vegetable oils in our dairy- not whole or real)

Maybe they don't have osteoporosis because you need a combo of sun and calcium to optimally absorb vitamin D. Also, any weight-bearing exercise reduces the chance of developing osteoporosis. I imagine they do a lot more physical labor than us fat f@ck Americans.

It's totally ridiculous to say that NOT consuming milk HELPS fight osteoporosis.
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    WHOLE COW'S MILK

Calories per pint: 370. Fat per pint: 22 grams.

Cow's milk is packed with a range of nutrients, including protein, calcium, zinc, vitamins A and B, and iodine.

The National Osteoporosis Society recommends that adults consume 800mg of calcium each day to protect their bones, while growing teenagers should have 1,000mg.

For many people, milk is as good a source as any of the mineral - one glass of milk contains 300mg. Only tinned pilchards and sardines eaten with their bones provide more calcium weight for weight than milk does.

However, cow's milk has been linked to a number of health conditions.

One piece of research says women who have more than 90g of fat a day from sources such as full cream milk are at an increased risk of breast cancer. This could be because pregnant cows produce oestrogen, which goes into the milk. Excess oestrogen has been linked to breast cancer.

This could also explain Japan's low rates of breast cancer - they prefer soya milk.

Because whole cow's milk is high in saturated fat, it can lead to heart disease, high cholesterol and even cancer. Milk is also considered a trigger for eczema.

Anecdotal evidence links drinking milk to increased phlegm production. It therefore should be avoided by those with respiratory conditions such as asthma.

Another study linked high consumption of full-fat milk to increased risk of coronary heart disease in women. Again, this could be because of its high fat content, which is linked to elevated cholesterol.

Meanwhile, a study in Finland has suggested that children may be vulnerable to insulindependent diabetes later in life after exposure to cow's milk - as opposed to breast milk - while very young. The evidence has not been regarded as conclusive, however.

Milk needs to be avoided by those who have lactose intolerance - a deficiency in the body of the enzyme lactose which is needed to break down and digest dairy products.

Now new Swedish research has linked drinking more than a glass of milk a day to ovarian cancer. The milk sugar lactose is thought to over-stimulate the production of hormones, which could encourage tumours.

This applies not only to fullcream milk, but also to semiskimmed and skimmed cow's milk.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    it has calories , fat , sugars, i would definatly count it. well if i drank or used it (dont really )