Oh my what should I do? Body fat is super high!

Options
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/09/15/a8/0915a8c6595264f93572091492ecf967.jpg

Saw this picture on a thread and my jaw dropped. I have been wondering why people with similar height and weight look so much smaller. Then I saw this picture and I am close to that 50% body fat picture at 5' 8.5" and 190 lbs.

What should I be doing besides eating at a deficit and exercise ( T25). I have been considering lifting heavy. Is that the answer? I got to about 170 but was still very flabby...now I think I know why...too much body fat, right?

Please guide me in the right direction to correct this major problem.

Replies

• JLoRuthie
    JLoRuthie Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    iipol3gvreo9.jpg
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and at a deficit is where you want to start. I started dropping bodyfat percentage when I started weighing my foods again.
    Also in my opinion, it wouldn't judge your bodyfat just from a picture. Go to a chemist, or a gym or a gp and get it checked correctly. That way you know the correct percentage

Good luck op!!!!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Exercise should be done to address other fitness goals (strength, muscle mass/retention, cardiovascular, endurance, mobility, balance, speed, agility, etc.). So, work on your food choices first. Then set some fitness goals and do the work outs that help you reach those. If you’re fueling your workouts (eating your exercise calories back, which is recommended), then the exercise calories are a wash.
  • JLoRuthie
    Options
    So just keep going with losing lbs and at some point I will reach a normal bf...thank you for responding
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    You can also work on the denominator by adding/maintaining muscle mass. It isn’t the easiest thing to do, but well worth the effort.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes your absolutely correct, you still had more to lose at 170. Just keep dropping the bodyfat.

Lifting heavy is great, but make sure you research it first. Start light and build slowly.
  • JLoRuthie
    Options
    @HappyCampr1 @VanillaGorilla808 @AllanMisner and @karen_fitzgibbon thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
    I will keep at it and add in some lifting slowly.
    I am just baffled that people post pictures on here near my height and over 200 lbs and they look so much "better" i.e. smaller than I think I look. maybe I just don't see my true self yet? I was so close at 170 yet felt so far away and just stopped because I didn't look how I thought I "should" look.

back at it - thanks guys!!
  • JLoRuthie
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    JLoRuthie wrote: »
    @HappyCampr1 @VanillaGorilla808 @AllanMisner and @karen_fitzgibbon thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
    I will keep at it and add in some lifting slowly.
    I am just baffled that people post pictures on here near my height and over 200 lbs and they look so much "better" i.e. smaller than I think I look. maybe I just don't see my true self yet? I was so close at 170 yet felt so far away and just stopped because I didn't look how I thought I "should" look.

back at it - thanks guys!!

You may be partially right. We often don’t see our real self. I’d recommend taking body measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper legs and upper arms). That will give you a better measure of improvement than you get with a scale.

But also realize that people often post their “highlight” photos. Those taken at great angles that make them look their best. It is time for you to focus on you (not others). Be the best you you can be.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JLoRuthie wrote: »
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/09/15/a8/0915a8c6595264f93572091492ecf967.jpg

Saw this picture on a thread and my jaw dropped. I have been wondering why people with similar height and weight look so much smaller. Then I saw this picture and I am close to that 50% body fat picture at 5' 8.5" and 190 lbs.

What should I be doing besides eating at a deficit and exercise ( T25). I have been considering lifting heavy. Is that the answer? I got to about 170 but was still very flabby...now I think I know why...too much body fat, right?

Please guide me in the right direction to correct this major problem.

I find that difficult to believe .. I'm 5'8 and 160lbs and my profile is my shot from about 165lbs (I'm around 23-24% BF at my current weight) ... are you sure you're not being a little body dysmorphic?

that said - to drop body fat eat at a calorie defecit is that major part (like 80%) but lifting heavy whilst you do it is certainly worthwhile .. hugely worthwhile
  • JLoRuthie
    Options
    @rabbitjb I took at peak at your pics and you look fabulous! If I could look like that in 25 lbs I would be thrilled.
    @AllanMisner you are right, focus on me and the best I can be. I will also do measurements. Great idea.
    @happyhampr1 congratulations on maintenance! I like the idea of taking pictures.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thank you...but I really did mean it about the dysmorphic...let your mind catch up and keep on going :)
  • JLoRuthie
    Options
    Awe thanks will do (try)
  • susanlouise
    susanlouise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am wondering if it's really true you are 50% - I am 5'8" (on a good day), 182, and 30% body fat. The pictures are useful, but would be good to find someone to actually measure your body composition.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Exercise should be done to address other fitness goals (strength, muscle mass/retention, cardiovascular, endurance, mobility, balance, speed, agility, etc.). So, work on your food choices first. Then set some fitness goals and do the work outs that help you reach those. If you’re fueling your workouts (eating your exercise calories back, which is recommended), then the exercise calories are a wash.

I used to be very heavy and although diet is a the main piece of the puzzle, my rigorous cardio routine helped immensely too. It's VERY hard to shed a lot of weight through just diet, IMO. So I wouldn't call exercise just for "other fitness goals". It's very much for fat loss and overall weight reduction.