Meal planning ideas and nutritional help!

Options
jla2983
jla2983 Posts: 26 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I am a college student, mother of two, an 11 year old girl and 5 year old boy, and a wife. During the week I am constantly on the go which ultimately leads me to either not eating enough in fear of going over my calories or allowing myself to become so hungry that I eat something quick and unhealthy. This is going to sabotage my diet and I really want to prevent that from happening so I am reaching out for help!!

I would like to prepare meals before hand so I do not have to struggle with what to eat. I am worried that if I prepare my meals on Sunday that they will go bad within a few days. (Sounds silly I know!). What are some low calorie, healthy, budget friendly meals I can prepare before hand?

I am not sure what is wrong with me but as of late I am having a difficult time eating pork and chicken. I can eat chicken if it is highly seasoned (I used to dip in ranch to get it down). I have tried many different types of fish and can't do it. Therefore, I am usually low on my protein intake daily and over on carbohydrates according to MFP. Because I don't know what to eat I am afraid I will eventually give up as I have before. This is the longest I have stuck to a diet faithfully and I want to continue with it so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!! :)
Jamie.

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Eat beef then. Its delicious! I am having spaghetti bake with beef for lunch and cheeseburger for dinner. Nothing wrong with beef as long as you eat other things along with it. I use 90/10 most of the time except burgers I use 80/20.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Use your freezer! I make everything and freeze it so I don't have to cook during the week. It takes months to go bad.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We also do a lot of easy meals - frozen vegetables, roasted fresh vegetables, crockpot, breakfast for dinner, microwave "baked" potatoes, salad, stir fry, tuna cakes, etc.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I make everything on Sundays for the week for Mon-Fri. If I think it'd go bad, I freeze it. MOST of what it is is either pasta and sauce, rice & chicken, and some veggies. It is fine at day 5. Nothing wrong with it. Recently been doing more tuna/chicken and veggies.
  • mayharmony
    mayharmony Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with freezing. I will keep brown rice in my fridge for a week and it is fine, same with cooked veggies and beans.
  • jla2983
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely try freezing this week!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    jla2983 wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Hmmm, might want to speak to a mental health professional.

I'm not sure why I would need to see a mental health professional.... I just do not like the taste of certain types of meat! ;)
    If you don't like something, don't eat it. There are plenty of foods that give protein - cheese, milk, eggs, beef, peanuts, beans, Greek yogurt. You can try drinking a protein shake or eating a protein bar if not meeting your protein is bothering you so much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prepare some of my meals on Sundays and also prepare extra for dinner during the week which I immediately pack up for work. Sometimes I quickly whip up different sides for variety too, but that's not necessary. My favorite purchase for weight loss after my food scale is my set of tupperware containers for lunches.

I find that cooking up something larger in a slow cooker works as a good main dish for my lunches (for the part cooked on Sunday anyway). I like doing turkey pieces--breast, leg, wings--and then pulling the meat off the bone. I also like doing lamb and pork shoulder this way. Maybe lamb or turkey would work for you? I then pair the meat with veggies and either some kind of starch (rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes) or something like avocado. A stirfry with rice, veggies, and tofu also works if you like that.

I think lunches cooked up on Sunday are find through Friday lunch, but like I said I like to supplement from dinners also, so if I were nervous about it I'd do that on Wednesday or so. The benefit of the slow cooker thing is that I can choose to do it overnight and pack up in the morning too.
  • armanka3
    armanka3 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Hmmm, might want to speak to a mental health professional.

@kbmnurse idk why you would say such a thing! Isn't this a place where others come for support? I don't think she needs help mentally just because she dislikes the tastes of some meats. She was simply asking for ideas and support. Shame on you!!
  • jbowers1978
    jbowers1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always hated fish, but found out it's fantastic grilled. You may find you like certain foods if they're cooked a different way.
  • i4gv777
    i4gv777 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with meat too. I did a little Google search for high protein foods and here are some I found: eggs, protein shakes, Greek yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, and beans.
  • jla2983
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    @kbmnurse idk why you would say such a thing! Isn't this a place where others come for support? I don't think she needs help mentally just because she dislikes the tastes of some meats. She was simply asking for ideas and support. Shame on you!

I said that because she mentioned the words fear and " I am not sure what is wrong with me". Lighten up armanka3.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Kbmnurse think you need to put things in perspective, overreact much?
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    jla2983 things I make a big batch of.....
    Tuna mayo sweet corn with pasta or for sandwiches
    Macaroni cheese
    Bologna see and freeze in portions in freezer bags, good with pasta or on jacket potatoes
    Home made egg n potato salad
    I try to keep some low cal muffins, snack a jacks and jelly to hand too for grab n go snacks
  • jla2983
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you star1407! I just needed ideas on what I could pack for the week and you all have given me some good ideas!