Does your body need the things it craves?

Options
Im on the Mediterranean diet, as recommended by my doctor. I eat lots of fish and a little chicken and heart healthy fats along with tonnes of veggies and whole food only. I was doing really well for 45 days, dropped 10 pounds, but now I'm craving all the carbs. It seems everyone is telling me "your body needs the things its craving" but since I'm craving Doritos I really can't see the logic.

Why would I start craving these things now? I have been resisting but it is hard. Any nutrition experts out there? Do you have the answer?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Everyone has cravings. and everyone craves junk food from time to time. That's why I suggest fitting the things you like into your diet in small quantities. You can do it as a scheduled cheat meal, or if you're more disciplined you can have the things you like every day in small quantities.

Since your doctor has you on a specific diet, I would talk to him/her about how you can fit in the food you like once in a while to keep the cravings down. just tell them that you don't think your diet is sustainable if you have to eliminate those foods completely.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    How's your salt intake?

When you crave something ... and especially if you crave it over several days ... your body needs something. It doesn't necessarily need exactly what you're craving, but it needs something.

For example, I was craving potato chips day in and day out for about a month just before I started logging here. When I started logging here, I discovered that my salt intake was less than half the recommended amount. I started salting my food ... and the craving for potato chips went away.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I fear (from past shameful experience) that if I cheat I will fall off the bandwagon altogether. I don't think I have the willpower to cheat.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing, like your body is craving some mineral or vitamin that is in the food you're craving.
    That's why when you drink/you're hungover, you're craving all kinds of foods, because the alcohol has drained your nutrients.

However, not sure what nutrients would be in Doritos. Also not sure why I am still craving Oreos :)
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I have heard the same thing, like your body is craving some mineral or vitamin that is in the food you're craving.
    That's why when you drink/you're hungover, you're craving all kinds of foods, because the alcohol has drained your nutrients.

However, not sure what nutrients would be in Doritos. Also not sure why I am still craving Oreos :)

you're hung over because alcohol is a diuretic, not because your nutrients are drained.
  • tannibal_lecter
    Options
    I'm supposed to aim for about 1500mg a day of sodium. My diet is for heart health.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust that craving lol. But maybe if you wanted something salty, you could eat some celery with almond butter? Celery has a good kind of sodium, and you can get unsalted almond butter. Yum.
    What are you eating daily?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I wouldn't trust that craving lol. But maybe if you wanted something salty, you could eat some celery with almond butter? Celery has a good kind of sodium, and you can get unsalted almond butter. Yum.

what kind of sodium is that?
  • tannibal_lecter
    Options

I believe my diary is open for viewing. You can check it out. I will just go check my privacy settings to be sure.
  • tannibal_lecter
    Options
    Yeah isn't sodium the same wherever you get it from?
  • mewkiyoko
    mewkiyoko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. I too was on a super low carb diet, only eating whole foods for months, over time I would give myself a "cheat" day and I would just binge on sweets and other carbs. I learned moderation over deprivation. I still try to eat plenty of veggies and lean protein and healthier carbs, but I fit in bits of my craving here and there and treat myself when I work hard. :)
  • i4gv777
    i4gv777 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and when things get tough I turn to food for comfort. I've just become aware of doing this, so now I try to find other ways to console myself.:-) Also I too have heard that cravings can be a sign of needing certain vitamins or minerals.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

you're hung over because alcohol is a diuretic, not because your nutrients are drained.

Nutrients will get screwed up if it's an alcoholic/frequent drinking situation. For a normal social drinker/occasional drinker, not so much.

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Can also be a sign of self sabotage. We all have a lot of emotional reasons behind why we do those things we do and if a part of us feels we do not deserve to be thin (or thin is bad, thin is vain, thin will get me the wrong kind of attention) then we start doing things that are not in the interests of that goal.

Outside of that, there are some interesting theories around our gut bacteria pushing our cravings in a certain direction. Worth a google.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Drinking alcohol depletes vitamins in your system. It's a fact.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Drinking alcohol depletes vitamins in your system. It's a fact.

I didn't argue that. What I said was the feeling you get when you're hung over is primarily because your dehydrated, not because your craving nutrients.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Is your period due? It makes my carb cravings way worse (and typically not sweets either).

But no, I think otherwise cravings are totally a mind thing.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No, cravings are a preference, not a need.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I think some cravings can be an indicator of things the body needs, but it's important to put some thought into a) identifying those cravings as distinct from "the gimmes," and b) considering what the craving is trying to tell us and whether the food we're craving is the best source of what we need.

What I mean is, if I'm suddenly overwhelmed by an urge for brownies, I stop and think: Do I feel a physical craving or do I simply want brownies? And if I'm feeling a physical craving, what is the likely true source of that craving? At that point I look back at my diary and figure out what brownies have that I haven't been getting -- have I gone too low on carbs on heavy workout days, has my diet been unusually low on sugars leading to a glucose drop? Once I've identified that I think about whether there are better options to fulfill my needs, like if I've been too low on carbs I might include quinoa or rice with dinner, turn my planned lunch salad into a sandwich on oat bread, etc.

It sounds time-consuming as all hell, but the whole process really only takes a couple of minutes. It's just about stopping and putting some thought in before indulging. And, of course, sometimes I just want a brownie and I have one! Or I crave quesadillas because I haven't been eating enough fat, I know there are healthier options like avocado salad, but I go with the quesadilla anyway because it's tastier. The process isn't meant to totally eliminate enjoyment, but just to make me mindful of how I respond to cravings.