how long did it take you to lose 20 pounds?

Options

Replies

• titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It took me 13 weeks to lose 20.4 pounds. Just reached that last Friday.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It can be pretty misleading, it depends how much you have to lose and is heavily influenced by how much effort people put in at what deficit.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Less than two months. And I wasn't heavy to start with (150 - 130 lbs).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    10 months.
    Lost it slow and steady at 1/2 lb per week.

However that is all I had to lose - someone with, say, 150 lb, to lose should lose the first 20lb much quicker than someone like me who only had that much to lose in total.
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month & a half
  • bevjack1
    bevjack1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It took me four months, but I started at 153. I was doing the 5:2 Diet (UK) but now I'm doing 1200 cal per day. If I had been heavier, it might have come off quicker. The smaller you get, the harder it seems to be.
  • heathergetshealthier
    heathergetshealthier Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Remember that it also depends on what your starting weight is. The heavier you are to start, the easier it is to lose weight because your body burns more calories (because you body needs a certain amount of "fuel" per pound to keep you going and if the pounds go down, so does the calorie need).
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I took me about 8 weeks to lose 20 lbs; (It comes on a lot faster than it will go off)
    I'm confused cause it tells me if I do what I'm doing and eat the way I do I should loose 20lbs in 5 weeks. I chart everything and workout almost an hr.a day doing different activities the walk challenge and insanity workout so it is not accurate? I don't want to wait two to three months to loose 20lbs I'm impatient

Don't rely on the MFP tool's estimate at what you will be in 5 weeks. It's unhealthy to lose more than a couple pounds a week.
    I'd recommend you read this MFP post it has some excellent information and even further links to getting you started on your journey: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1 This article will help you understand what you need to do and how to setup MFP with what your goals.
  • spk1982
    spk1982 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to lose 20 pounds after my first delivery 4 years back.

My second born, daughter is 2 months old, have started the efforts again, but I'm breastfeeding so not going too low on calories.

Last time i did it 3 yrs bk after my son was weaned off, and my calorie intake was 1600 and i did jillian michaels workouts!

I am worried about losing weight too quickly as it could lead to loose skin :s
  • rembolton
    rembolton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight in July 2014 and I'm only 18lb down - I'm not going to be discouraged by everyone else's success though because I have had time off (gained 4lbs the first time -2 week holiday and Christmas included so I was pleased with that!! and maintained the second time) and slow and steady will eventually win the race.

As long as you're making positive, sustainable changes it doesn't matter how slowly it comes off as it will stay off in the long run!
  • amy_morrey
    amy_morrey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    3 months. And I can't seem to get under 9 stone. Just one more pound! It gets harder the less you weigh I guess.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds in a month, but I started at 267 pounds so that makes a difference, since I had a lot to lose. Now I am 157 pounds and I average 10 pounds a month.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i would say about 2 months
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It's taking me 5 years... >:O but not this time.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the realistic goals. I need to lose 30 total, and am a lady in my 50s so it will take longer....but two to three months will take it off by mid-summer. I'm hoping to get a job offer for a job that starts in two weeks. I will have to completely change my wardrobe - so not sure how much to buy.....luckily I sew and can take things in. Good job to all of you.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    34 days for the first 20.. But, in the last 14 days I've only lost another lb.. lol (had my anniversary and a couple small setbacks) Hoping to pull it back together this week and start losing again.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Took me 11 weeks starting at 211.6 lbs.
  • ShastaOC
    ShastaOC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    12 weeks at starting at 184lbs with 1540 cals a day and working out and/or running for an hour total 5 days a week. It's not been linear but there is also the muscle mass that you are gaining during some of those weeks that will cause the scale not to budge but you will lose inches.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Nine months. No matter what I did or didn't do, it went at an average of half a pound a week. There's been some hiccups and it's taken me along time to get into the mind set.
  • smfrench1
    smfrench1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    About 3 and a half months - I lost just over 20lbs from November 7th-February 20th (221.4 to 201.1). Has slowed done a little since then, but still losing, and within 5 pounds of my goal weight so am very pleased.

Like many, I am just doing the basics, simply tracking what I eat with the app every day, and trying to exercise most every day. Worked better (and easier) than I expected.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!