Chewing Gum While Running

I did a search and didn't find any results for this question (probably because it may sound a bit absurd), but does anybody find that chewing gum (in my case, mint flavored) enhances breathing while running? I don't have an extremely fast pace. I run about 8'30/mile on shorter runs and roughly 9'/mile on longer runs. This morning, I got up and walked out the door to go run while the rest of my family was sleeping and I forgot to brush my teeth. I know that's gross, but I had gum in the car so I grabbed a piece before I started running instead of going back in the house and risking the dogs barking to wake everybody up.

Enough babbling, I was wondering if anybody could explain why I felt like my breathing was much better with the gum? Maybe psychological from the cooling sensation that I was getting from the spearmint? Is that weird?? It's probably dangerous, but I've seen crazier questions around here I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I literally can not cardio without chewing gum..
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Sounds like a choke risk to me. I wouldn't run with anything in my mouth. Especially if there might not be other people around.

Breathing might have been easier because you were actually breathing. A lot of people tend to hold their breath when they are extending effort. It is a bad habit to have. I would suggest a better thing to try while running would be singing out loud or reciting your abc's or counting out loud. It does not have to be so loud that people stop and stare if you are self conscious about it.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    I can't run and chew gum at the same time (seriously!) but I find that Altoids make my run...better.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Oooh I'm gonna have to give it a go!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Mint is a natural bracheo-dilator, meaning it helps open the airways. That's one reason why menthol is the active ingredient in cough drops and vicks vapor rub. I would guess that would help one breathe better doing cardio, too.

Still, sounds like a chocking risk.
  • Blazing_Brunette
    Blazing_Brunette Posts: 217 Member
    Interesting .. I too always chew gum while doing cardio ...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    I've actually heard of that before. I believe my husband, a volleyball player, heard it somewhere. I will see if I can track down some information on it.

I've tried it but it didn't last long. Something weird happens to my saliva when I run and gum breaks down in my mouth. It's really weird. And chewing gum while running drove me nuts.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Mint is a natural bracheo-dilator, meaning it helps open the airways. That's one reason why menthol is the active ingredient in cough drops and vicks vapor rub. I would guess that would help one breathe better doing cardio, too.

Still, sounds like a chocking risk.

That's very interesting. All of the responses are, thanks to everybody. I'm aware of the choking risk and I think ultimately that would make me think twice about making that a habit.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    I cannot even walk and chew gum at the same time....
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    I chew when I run because I'm a mouth breather & helps prevent dry mouth. I also chew it when I jump rope so it doesn't seem like an easy choking hazard.
  • minphx
    minphx Posts: 3 Member
    I also often chewed gym when I trained for and ran a half marathon. It kinda just sat in my cheek, but the added saliva helped. In the book 127 hours, when the guy is dehydrated and stumbling through the desert, he talked about having a sip of liquid and just holding it in his mouth since he didn't have enough to actually drink. For some reason, I thought about that as I ran when I didn't want to guzzle too much water mid-run. Gum served a similar purpose.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    I mix a spoonful of xylitol into my water when I work out, and do a good swish every time a take a gulp. Xylitol increases saliva and helps dry mouth. I've been doing it a few months, and I can really tell the difference if I just drink normal water. It's a natural sweetener, but I don't really taste it in water. I also use xylitol for cavity protection after every meal and drink.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    I can see the benefits to airways of menthol but for me chewing gum would probably cause excess stomach acid while exercising.

As for chewing gum as a 'choking hazard' this is a website for adults not children. Unless you chew a fist size blob of gum, the gag reflex or swallow reflex will deal with chewing gum that reaches parts of the throat its not supposed to reach.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I've tried it but it didn't last long. Something weird happens to my saliva when I run and gum breaks down in my mouth. It's really weird. And chewing gum while running drove me nuts.

Yeah me too ... I end up almost frothing at the mouth, choking, gasping for air.

And when I bit my tongue, that was the end of gum.