Do I burn calories while I am doing my strength training?

Options
Question: If I'm doing some type of Strength training everyday along with my Cardio, am I not burning calories while I'm doing the strength training? I know that my heart rate is staying up in the fat/calorie burning zone, because I make sure it is. I'm just wondering why when I log my strength training into my exercise log it does not give me credit for those calories that I have burned while I am doing my strength training?

Replies

• jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    You can log your strength training as cardio. Weird, I know, but if you search "strength training" you can log how long you did that as part of your cardio exercise.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You are burning calories when strength training! In fact, unlike cardio, weight-bearing exercises actually keep your metabolism going strong for hours after your workouts! So they are great!!!

Not sure why MFP doesn't show calories from strength training, but probably because it's too hard to calculate...
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im with the above I think it's to hard for MFP to calculate especially since alot of calories burned from strentgh trainingcome from the "after burn", and even when you log it under the cardio strentgh training option it really doesn't give you that many calories :/
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    I noticed that too until somebody had posted to log it in the cardio. They said it estimates based on your weight how much you burn. What's the point of having the strength training option on there if it doesn't log it?! Now I just do the one under cardio!
  • ammonwiese
    ammonwiese Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know that other online services give you calculations and metrics to assist in the calculation of the amount of calories burned during Strength Training. Come on MFP get with the program, we like the service but somethings actually make it more difficult. Just my two cents.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    What's the point of having the strength training option on there if it doesn't log it?!

because some people are really interested in knowing how many reps/what weight/etc. so they can keep track of their progress. So they developed that portion to address that need. But logging in into cardio makes sure you get the calories you earned!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Someone posted about this the other day...

I don't really take the "credit" for my workouts anyway. I don't eat that much more when I know i did a workout, so why not eat the way you would eat anyway and that is just a surprise bonus?

You continue to burn throughout the day after you do weight training anyway, so you have nothing to lose!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    so why not eat the way you would eat anyway and that is just a surprise bonus?

because if you are burning a lot during your workout, your body will need more fuel. If you don't feed it, it will turn to your muscles to get the energy it needs. You'll be working hard and staying put, in terms of fitness. FEED your body! You earned those calories, and eating them does NOT hinder your progress.