low fat/cal. alternatives to peanut butter??

Options
JenFerguson1
JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
Hey everyone!
I LOVE peanut butter. I eat extremely healthy so obviously I don't usually eat regular peanut butter. I buy the all natural organic kind. I have tried pretty much every brand as long as the ONLY ingredients are peanuts and salt. Anyway, they all have around 180-200 calories and 16g of fat per 2 tbs. serving. Thats a lot of calories and fat! Although it is "healthy" fat, it still adds up on my daily calorie intake. I have heard of that "Better'n Peanut butter" stuff but never tried it because it was like 8 dollars and I wasnt sure if id even like it. Does anyone know of something else I can try without so many calories??

Replies

• kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I read that you can mix the natural peanut butter with non-fat Greek yogurt. I was going to try it but had forgotten about it. I'll try it soon and post how it was.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I read that you can mix the natural peanut butter with non-fat Greek yogurt. I was going to try it but ad forgotten about it. I'll try it soon and post how it was.

What an interesting idea! I'm going to try it. Would have a lot of protein that way, which is always a good thing.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You cant beat peanut butter!!! Its my fave i get it freshly crushed from a healthfood store the kids love going in to make it .......we go through 500gms a week minimum!!!! YUM YUM sorry cant be of help Lol
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    I love peanut butter also! But I use it a lot of times to make my daily calories and fat! Greek yogurt with peanut butter sounds delicious! I will have to try that!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I just eat less of the real stuff, I really don't like the ones that have all kinds of extra stuff added.
    2 tbsp sounds like a lot to eat at one time, maybe eat the real stuff just less often!
    I have mixed it with natural yoghurt before, but the texture was a little weird, so I don't think I'll do that again. I'm sure it would depend on your yoghurt thought so maybe give it a try and see if it works for you.
  • ThatDamnScale
    ThatDamnScale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I was on Weight Watchers, they raved about PB2. It's bacially powdered peanut butter. They have chocolate also. I eat natural peanut butter....nothing but peanuts and salt. But, from what they say...it's really good. I hope this helps.....

http://www.bellplantation.com/
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    A LOT of members here swear by PB2 http://www.bellplantation.com/

I am yet to try it myself But I probably will some day.

Edit: ThatDamnScale beat me to it :)
  • cfcakes
    cfcakes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Better N Peanut Butter! They sell it at Trader Joe's. Almost everyone I know who has tried it raves about it! I have had it a few times and I enjoy it also. It is only 100cal (don't quote me) but they have their own website if you want to check it out for yourself!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I tried Better n'Peanut butter and (it's only about $5 near me) and found it very chemy and fake tasting and returned it. I do sunflower seed butter, I like it even better than PB and it's a little less fat, not much, but every little bit helps and it's naturally a lot creamier. It's all I use. Try to limit myself to 1 tbsp sometimes everyday for awhile till I tire of it, and then take a rest. Come to think of it haven't had any in awhile!! Tomorrow is weigh-in day so might have a SB/jelly sammie tomorrow after weigh-in! With 2 tbsp!!
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Soy Nut Butter has slightly less fat and saturated fat than standard peanut butter.

Per two tablespoons the average breakdown is 170 calories and 11g fat (with just 1.5g saturated). It does not taste like peanut butter (more similar to sunflower seed butter) but is still very tasty.

I would steer clear of fat / calorie reduced peanut butters as they are generally full of other crap that is bad for you and outweighs the potential benefits of the lower fat content.

Have you tried other protein rich spreads made from beans, peas or tofu? Hummus and other bean spreads are pretty easy to make and tofu is a good base for "mock" tuna or egg salads. All of these can be tasty and lower fat alternatives to nut butters. Just a thought!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Hi, my names Carl... and I am also a Peanut Butter'aholic!! Love that stuff!! I am the same, I could sit with a jar of Peter Pan or Jif and go to town. You may even find me passed out on the couch later with the spoon stuck to my chin!

I started using PB2... its a powdered version of peanut butter but with only 45 cals for 2 tb spoons. You mix it with water and it tastes the same..... thats because it IS REAL PB,.... only they strip out 85% of the fat calories during the processing. I use it to mix with protein shakes as well and its awesome!

You can buy it all over the place, but if you look at their website (www.bellplantation.com), you can either order directly from them OR you can enter your town and it will show you the nearest retailer. I love the stuff!!
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options
    PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter is AMAZINGGGGGG. The "chocolate peanut butter" is so yummy!

http://store.bellplantation.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-s/3.htm
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    YES! PB2 is great, you gotta try it if you are a fellow peanut butter lover!!!
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all your help, everybody!! I'm going to try PB2 and mixing natural peanut butter with greek yogurt. They both sound amazing! I'm one of those people that could literally sit and eat an entire jar of peanut butter as well. ANY BRAND! but of course, I do not. I'd feel way too guilty. thanks again for all the good tips:)