Looking for strength focused fitness classes with built in progression

Mochaccino10
Mochaccino10 Posts: 12 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
It seems like very few fitness classes have any form of built-in, clear, measurable, long-term progression (whether in weight,reps, rounds, speed or whatever). For example, if you start out unable to do a single pullup, you can't reasonably expect to be able to do several a few months down the line, unless you're training for them seperately on your own time. You also typically can't expect to ever be lifting more than the light rainbow colored dumbells provided to you. It seems like, if you're lucky and choose the right gym, Crossfit can fit all those criteria and then some, but it's somewhat luck of the draw, and it's very expensive in my area. I'd like to look into some other options but I haven't found any. I've heard of bootcamp programs that last a set length of time and work towards specific concrete goals, but I haven't found one in my area yet. There are plenty of options available in and around the large city where I live, but searching them out is proving to be surprisingly difficult.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Can you find a TRX class? Difficulty increases by simply changing your position. So a complete beginner with not much strength starts making things as easy as possible, then gradually progresses to making exercises harder by simply taking one step forward or backward at a time.
  • Mochaccino10
    Whoa, I was just thinking of that. I was looking at their youtube channel and saw that they actually have clear progressions listed for several different bodyweight exercises. That's a rarity as far as I can tell. Are the trainers aware of those progressions (and others) and do they actually implement them in the classes?
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Everybody in ANY class is going to be at different levels, eating differently and progressing at different rates. An instructor or trainer can't manage each person's progression for them. Even in a boot camp, you will need to decide for yourself when you're ready to pick up the next weight. For instance you might start doing push-ups on your knees, but then you decide when to start trying to do full push-ups. And when you've done as many as you can and want to complete your set on your knees. A typical boot camp will do an assessment at the beginning and end with something like a timed mile, number of push-ups in a minute, and maybe one other metric. But you can do the same type of assessment for yourself once a month to compare your progress.

Alternately, you can follow a program from a book. Many contain photos and explanations of progressions in how to do different movements and which progression to follow to work up to doing a pull-up, etc. A $30 book is a comparatively cheap way of going about it. (It's what I'm doing, and I've done boot camps and paid for really good trainers in the past.)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    I do a strength training (yes encouraging to use the heaviest possible with reps between 6-10) and usually have about 20 females in it. But being able to monitor all of them is tough to do though since I don't record what they do as individuals. I can only see what they do for reps and if it seems easy, I encourage them to do more reps.
    TRX is also a great option.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I would suggest a structured lifting program that you do on your own like strong lifts, starting strength, etc….then you are not at the mercy of an instructor and a class that is filled with people of different experience and fitness levels….
  • Mochaccino10
    I'm totally fine with keeping track of my progress just as long as it's actually possible to do so. I have to have specific numbers that I can easily remember and write down after every workout. That's a real pain if you're doing twenty different exercises at each workout, and the trainer keeps changing them every week for the sake of variety. Even if by some miracle I can remember what I did, I'd be stuck staring at my notebook wondering whether this weeks 2 minutes of isometric one leg deadlifts represents an improvement over the last week's 100 reps of 5lb DB deadlifts. I understand why trainers do this, and a lot of people really like it as an alternative to another boring hour on the treadmill, but it's not for me.

I'm considering other options. Classes obviously aren't the only option, but it depends on cost, convenience, and a lot of other factors. I could really use some hands on training and extra accountability right now.
  • ndj1979
    again ..

find a structured lifting program.
    follow said program

end thread

this is not really complicated….
  • kikichewie
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    again ..

follow said program

end thread

Yeah..... This.......

You're overthinking it and throwing up barriers before you even begin. If you want to pay someone to just write down your weights and reps (and some people do), then cough up the money and tell the person you hire exactly what you want. Or follow a written program and write down your own stats. Make a spreadsheet if you're feeling fancy. But so far to me it sounds like you're coming up with excuses and nothing will be good enough to keep you "accountable." Throw that attitude out the window, pick a halfway decent looking program recommended by people here, and make a commitment to follow through with it for at least 12 weeks. You will see progress. Personally, I love Strong Curves. I just follow the program and use an app called Strong to record my stats. It tells me each time how much I lifted the previous time I did each particular move ad well as reminds me what my PR was (personal record). It's very easy to keep track and try to push a little farther each time, even if I do three different routines per week for a total of 24 distinct moves. It was a pain to enter the workout routines into the app the first time, but well worth it.
  • Mochaccino10
    I would suggest a structured lifting program that you do on your own like strong lifts, starting strength, etc….then you are not at the mercy of an instructor and a class that is filled with people of different experience and fitness levels….

Thanks, Im aware of those programs and Ive dabbled in them before, but I really feel like I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least try to get some hands on training from someone who actually knows what they're doing. Online form checks and discussion boards just aren't going cut it. Plus I'll probably have to find a gym with all the proper equipment anyway. I probably won't be doing it from home. I might open a second thread about finding some decent, affordable, short term barbell training, just in case I decide to go that route.
  • Mochaccino10
    edited April 2015
    again ..

follow said program

end thread

I don't want to seem like I'm fighting with you since I think you're advice is pretty reasonable and you're actually trying to help, but I don't think you actually read all my responses. I said I wanted to at least try to get some hands on training from someone who knows what they are doing. Ideally I'd find someone with a lot of experience in barbell training, who isn't extremely expensive, but that's easier said then done. I have no idea why you'd have problem with that. Im just going to assume you didnt read it.
  • ndj1979
    again ..

follow said program

end thread

I don't want to seem like I'm fighting with you since I think you're advice is pretty reasonable and you're actually trying to help, but I don't think you actually read all my responses. I said I wanted to at least try to get some hands on training from someone who knows what they are doing. Ideally I'd find someone with a lot of experience in barbell training, who isn't extremely expensive, but that's easier said then done. I have no idea why you'd have problem with that. Im just going to assume you didnt read it.

Ok - see my revised advice.

get a trainer to teach you proper barbell moves for compounds.
    get on a structured lifting program
    follow said program

I don't see how a "group class" is going to teach you proper form ….

FYI - you can learn proper form through you tube videos and reading up on it…I self taught myself squat, deadlift, etc….
  • kikichewie
    again ..

follow said program

end thread

follow said program

FYI - you can learn proper form through you tube videos and reading up on it…I self taught myself squat, deadlift, etc….

Or.....

Pick a structured lifting program.
    Show the program to the personal trainer you hire.
    Ask to learn those specific moves. Doesn't have to be a workout, but more a learning session and discussion on form.
    Follow the program for a few weeks or a month.
    Hire the trainer for another hour to check your form and progress.
    Repeat.

Make sure you pick a trainer who specializes in real weight training, not someone who does a bunch of functional training or circuits.

Personally, this is something I'm considering doing myself. There is one trainer at my gym who obviously knows about the heavy stuff, and I may hire him for an hour to pick his brain and have him check my form on certain lifts. $50 well spent.
  • Mochaccino10
    edited April 2015
    kikichewie wrote: »
    again ..

follow said program

end thread

follow said program

Or.....

Pick a structured lifting program.
    Show the program to the personal trainer you hire.
    Ask to learn those specific moves. Doesn't have to be a workout, but more a learning session and discussion on form.
    Follow the program for a few weeks or a month.
    Hire the trainer for another hour to check your form and progress.
    Repeat.

Make sure you pick a trainer who specializes in real weight training, not someone who does a bunch of functional training or circuits.

Personally, this is something I'm considering doing myself. There is one trainer at my gym who obviously knows about the heavy stuff, and I may hire him for an hour to pick his brain and have him check my form on certain lifts. $50 well spent.

Thanks again. The only reason I was asking about classes and programs and such is because I was hoping there was a reasonable alternative to crossfit where I could learn proper heavy lifts and/or very advanced calisthenics/basic gymnastics. Crossfit gets a lot a crap from people, and for good reason, but they're one of the only places where its possible to do all that. The problem is that I could either hit the lottery and end up with a champion olympic lifting coach who carefully teaches us all the lifts and arranges them into a reasonable circuit OR I could end up with a barely trained 19 year old who has us do crappy snatches for time until we all snap our backs or die of rhabdo. And all for the low low price of 250 to 350 per month. Having the support and accountabilty that comes from a good coach and a group setting still really appeals to me, but beggars can't be choosers. It should be enough just to finally learn how to lift properly.

Ive already posted a new question on a different forum with lots of experienced heavy lifters. Hopefully they can help me find someone well qualified to teach me the basics.