Can't stay on plan... what's wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You might try the Fifty, Female, and Fun group--very supportive, good advice.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    5"9
    203 lbs
    Lightly Active (I'm on my feet a lot when I'm working)
    1680 Calories
    I guess I'm not crazy about weighing and measuring everything. I think I get overwhelmed with the thought that this weight is not going to come off overnight. It's going to take some time. I want to be healthier, and lose some weight in the process.
    I also know that I have to be the one to make the changes and commitments, but I don't know what throws me off this path

Impatience and lack of discipline to stay on path ... possibly resulting from setting unrealistic goals.

This +1 and it sounds like it hasnt been though through in terms of being ready to do what it takes for an extended period of time. Its easier for some than others, its a bit dull and it will take time. You can alter the deal by setting a less aggressive target or doing more exercise to suit. The impatience seems to be undermining you. There are limits to how fast weight loss can happen and they apply to you just as everyone else. One you understand and accept the limits then there will be less reason to get frustrated and you may be more realistic about whats possible and how quickly. Knowledge is your friend.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    5"9
    203 lbs
    Lightly Active (I'm on my feet a lot when I'm working)
    1680 Calories
    I guess I'm not crazy about weighing and measuring everything. I think I get overwhelmed with the thought that this weight is not going to come off overnight. It's going to take some time. I want to be healthier, and lose some weight in the process.
    I also know that I have to be the one to make the changes and commitments, but I don't know what throws me off this path

Hi, Kathryn. IMO, just getting started is the hardest part, since once you start seeing the progress it is motivating.

One thing I did was set reasonable goals and think about where I'd be in, say, 6 months. You probably know how soon 6 months from now seems to get here, so it was helpful for me to think (for example) "by Halloween I could be X lbs or in dress that I've wanted to fit back into forever. As it's possible it won't go as fast as you want you have to be someone that won't get totally derailed by that, but I found it helped me see longterm goals as really achievable and concrete and to realize that what I do now matters.

Another thing I did was to take charge by focusing on process goals--things that I was 100% in control of, whatever the stupid scale did, and things that would be worth it in themselves independent of the scale. When I started I was scared that the weight wouldn't come off (superstition), so I decided that no matter what I was going to be healthy and fit, even if I was a healthy, fit, fat person, and decided that I was going to eat in a way that made sense to me and was healthy (and tasty) and was going to get myself in good shape through exercise. Of course the weight did come off, but this gave me lots of things to think about besides the scale and to focus on when the scale didn't cooperate a particular week.

Finally, I tried to think of it as a process, not something that was either on or off. The point was to learn and get better at this, so a setback or mistake was a learning experience, not a sign that I was a failure or it wasn't working. Basically, I tried to be kind to myself. Related to that, I tried to have manageable goals each week. For example, when I started I was really out of shape, so I just set a goal to walk a certain amount. After a couple of weeks I set a goal to ride the stationary bike 30 min/3 x a day and go swimming once. Stuff like that. I didn't do things that would be unpleasant and deter me from continuing, and I focused on finding things that would be fun, with the understanding that I probably would find everything more fun as I worked my way into better shape.

For food, it was similar--I had a goal to cook 5 dinners and 3 lunches, say, and a set breakfast. I decided to add veggies to meals, or increase protein. I basically figured out how I was eating and simple steps to make it healthier and lower calorie, and then I started implementing them.

For me, the process itself became really fun, especially when I started losing.

I also kept a journal to keep track of what I was finding worked and what I was struggling with.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just don't want it bad enough. I went through most of my life saying I wanted to lose weight so bad. I tried and quit over and over. This time around has been different for me for several reasons. It's not just something I have to do but now something I truly want to do. Before, while I did want to lose weight, I wanted more to continue eating how I was eating. I cared but not enough. Sometimes you have to reach that moment in life where it all just clicks.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a like a muscle, you have to exercise it for it to get stronger. Every time you give up you're missing an opportunity to exercise your ability to bounce back. Keep at it, one day off the wagon is better than two. Every day is a new day. Get realistic. No sense crying over spilled milk. Yes, it will take a while for it to come off. Nobody can make you stick to it. Take it a day at a time, one meal at a time, you need to ask yourself, does this contribute to my goals?
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Think we have all been guilty of unrealistic expectations when it comes to 'dieting'. Give up idea of ' dieting'......decide to make changes, as small as you like, that you can live with......and don't eliminate stuff you can't live without; just work on making it work as a balance as time goes on........
    Had a bad day? Call your Scarlett O'Hara and move on the next day.......
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just do it. If it's frustrating, do it anyway. If it's slow, do it anyway. If it's tedious, do it anyway. If it's discouraging, do it anyway. Calorie counting is the simplest and least restrictive weight loss "diet" there is. When you give up, it's not a matter of your ability to keep going. It's a choice that you're making. Don't make that choice anymore.
  • sblackwell2013
    sblackwell2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have to have something that drives you...ask yourself, what drives me?? Put a picture up of whatever that maybe and put it on your bathroom mirror so you see it every morning when you start your day so it it keeps you motivated for the day and gets you off to a great start each day!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    before i joined my gym, when i would walk every day.... i would sometimes have to FORCE myself to go do it. Force the socks and shoes on, force myself out the door. even when i was sick, or in the rain and snow and cold and yuck... if it was over 25f degrees (my personal cut off point)... then i went. even when i didnt want to. because *I* am in charge. not my emotions, my BRAIN is the BOSS. and my brain said ' get moving fatso'. so i did.

• Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Wow... The advice and pointers are greatly appreciated. You guys are "Right" I do get overwhelmed, and then panic. Maybe I am looking to do everything right, the first time around.

PAV8888 Why should I change my calorie setting to "Maintenance?"
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    PAV8888... Nevermind, the light just came on as to why the change... Thankyou