Weight Fluctuations (How does one know it's actual weight loss?)

Options
I posted something similar in the EM2WL group, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get more opinions.

Pretty much I'm feeling frustrated and discouraged. Right now, my mind is playing tricks and I've been tempted to cut further (but I haven't done that). The scale numbers are killing me. Deep down I know they don't tell the whole story but with 30 lbs left to lose, I'd think it would move...faster? Ugh.

I weighed daily during this time to check out weight fluctuations.

I need third party input here.
Do these numbers mean anything?
Am I on the right track? Should I adjust anything? Too early to tell?

So far...

From 3/29 to 4/24
Average caloric intake: 1795
Average TDEE (Fitbit): 2193
Starting weight (on 3/31): 158
Highest weight recorded: 159.8 (on 4/6 and 4/7)
Lowest weight recorded: 156.4 (on 4/17)

I'm not sure that lowest # equals an actual loss due to weight fluctuations. I'm dancing around 158 most days. :/

When do you know it's an actual loss?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't a linear process. But over time, the trend will be downward. It may spike up, but it will head down.

What's your BMR? My observation from what you've posted is there's not a huge difference between your TDEE and your calories consumed. About 300. A calorie deficit of 300/day is between .5 and 1 pound per week loss. And your gender, height and age make a difference, too.

Of course, this depends on your logging accurately. Weighing solids and measuring liquids.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When it hits the lowest :smiley:
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It is all weight loss. Fat loss? That is more difficult. I think it is common to see the scale fluctuate several pounds through the day. And progress isn't linear for most people. it seems that it takes me about 12 or 15 days and the. I suddenly drop 2 pounds.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Weight loss isn't a linear process. But over time, the trend will be downward. It may spike up, but it will head down.

What's your BMR? My observation from what you've posted is there's not a huge difference between your TDEE and your calories consumed. About 300. A calorie deficit of 300/day is between .5 and 1 pound per week loss. And your gender, height and age make a difference, too.

Of course, this depends on your logging accurately. Weighing solids and measuring liquids.
    I think my BMR is around 1315. Not sure. I think it's higher according to Fitbit.

Yes, there isn't a huge difference. Going for about 15% cut. No more than 20%.

Female
    ~5'3

I do log accurately and use a scale.

• Labouffecestbon
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When it hits the lowest :smiley:
    Hahaha that's what I secretly wish!
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    It is all weight loss. Fat loss? That is more difficult. I think it is common to see the scale fluctuate several pounds through the day. And progress isn't linear for most people. it seems that it takes me about 12 or 15 days and the. I suddenly drop 2 pounds.
    I do know that it fluctuates several pounds during the day. I can "put on" 2 pounds from morning to evening. But the numbers above are from weighing daily, in the morning, after using the toilet (not always pooping!) and before eating anything.

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You could use an app that will give you your trending weightloss. I have an app on my phone called Happy Scale. I enter my weigh ins everyday and it gives me an average based on how things are trending, and shows me a graph so I can see that it's going down.
    This way the fluctuations even out and I can tell if the trending number is going down, staying the same, or going up. I can also see the line on the graph going down, staying the same or going up.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    Your height would help. But if you're maintaining at 158 with exercise and cutting calories it could just be that you're putting on some muscle. Also try cutting your daily calories by 100 which is equal to 700 calories a week and should net you about a pound loss or more in a month.
    I can't put on muscle on a deficit.

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

glv0ar065hx4.jpg

Yes like this. I spiked up, and if I were to break it down by month, you'd see them more, but I spiked a lot but the general trend was still downward.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    You could use an app that will give you your trending weightloss. I have an app on my phone called Happy Scale. I enter my weigh ins everyday and it gives me an average based on how things are trending, and shows me a graph so I can see that it's going down.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Wouldn't MFP graph be enough?

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options

That's what I use.
  • MysticRealm
    Options

I only enter my weigh ins on MFP once a week as friday's are my 'official weigh in days' that is the number that I use as my 'current weight' until the next friday.
    So I use the Happy Scale app, mostly just for fun. It also uses the trending weight so you get an actual number read out for that which I don't believe mfp does.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    Yes @higgins8283801, that's the reason I've been weighing daily. Just to see the trend. And well, I'm not sure what to think of it. It really is up and down. I've only been doing it for a few weeks though. Perhaps I should give it more time?
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    v9wejdxrby4f.jpg

as you can see mine is far from linear. after figuring out my tdee for a month (fitbit) now looking to get back on it
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    v9wejdxrby4f.jpg

as you can see mine is far from linear. after figuring out my tdee for a month (fitbit) now looking to get back on it
    Thanks for sharing!
    I suppose I should give it more time. Good luck with getting back on it!
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Here's what the Happy Scale graph looks like (there was a week where I did not have a scale to weigh on so that's why there are no dots in the middle)
    411168540.jpg
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    Here's what the Happy Scale graph looks like (there was a week where I did not have a scale to weigh on so that's why there are no dots in the middle)
    411168540.jpg

Ooooh I like that. It shows the fluctuations, yet put a line through for the trend! I'll give it a shot! :)
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You can overcome fluctuations by ONLY logging your lows. If the lowest point last week is higher than the lowest point this week, then it's pretty likely that you've lost weight. You can't expect every weigh-in to be the lowest ever, but when it IS the lowest ever, you can usually be confident that your weight has decreased. This is even more reliable than logging weekly or bi-weekly or on any time interval, as those can still be challenged by fluctuations.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like Trendweight. It gives a nice picture like the Happyscale app.