Can I do Insanity?!

simplysara9
simplysara9 Posts: 521
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I am thinking about buying Insanity and starting it in the next few weeks but am worried that I am not fit enough to do the program. I have over 100 pounds to lose still but have been working out consistently and wanted something challenging. I find 30 day shred challenging so would this be too much?

Replies

• SurlyGirly
    SurlyGirly Posts: 5
    In my opinion, Insanity is a lot harder than 30-Day Shred. Insanity is almost all plyometrics and that can take its toll on the joints. I had some minor knee pain when I did Insanity last year. If 30-Day Shred is challenging, I recommend getting some of Jillian Michaels's other DVDs. Good luck.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    I Don't see why you couldn't if you put your mind to it. I've seen alot of people do P90 or P90x before tackling it thought. I haven't tried it yet because i think it actually might be harder then P90x as far as cardo goes.
  • simplysara9
    In my opinion, Insanity is a lot harder than 30-Day Shred. Insanity is almost all plyometrics and that can take its toll on the joints. I had some minor knee pain when I did Insanity last year. If 30-Day Shred is challenging, I recommend getting some of Jillian Michaels's other DVDs. Good luck.

Maybe I will finish a round of 30-Day Shred before starting Insanity. I know it's all about willpower and determination. I am determined to lose the weight and do this.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Try doing 2 minutes of jacks at a reasonably quick pace followed by a minute of deep squats then another minute of tuck jumps, if your knees are painful at the end of that then you are going to find it hard going with Insanity.

When I first started doing P90x (I had ~90lbs to lose when I first started) all the jumping stuff was very painful on my knees. Its gotten easier as I've gotten lighter and fitter.
  • I wouldn't recommend it yet. I think this workout may be too much for you right now. Insanity involves alot of jumping squats and pushups.You can give it a try but I think maybe you should try Turbo Fire first. I think you may hurt yourself more than anything if you still need to lose 100 more pounds. You never know though. I would hate for you to spend your money and end up having trouble with the workout.
  • Mando55
    Mando55 Posts: 140
    I agree with some of the other posts. It is extremely rough on your joints. I hurt myself twice doing that program. However, it is super fun and it does work. I suggest trying what Tankplanker wrote and go from there.
  • simplysara9
    I bit the bullet and ordered the program despite a lot of people saying it wouldn't be a good idea. I am told all of the time that I can't do things and I love to prove people wrong. The set should be here the middle of the week and I plan to start on Saturday.

I know that it is going to be rough on my joints in the beginning but I do a ton of walking, squatting, kneeling at work so I am not too worried about my knees. They get their own workout throughout the day at work so they are tough!

Here is the beginning of 60 days of Insanity!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Today is my day off from Insanity. Insanity is brutal for me but I love it. I hope you like jumping because there's a lot of that going on.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    I have done two rounds of Insanity and even on the second round there were times I wanted to die! I have been into fitness for years and this kicked my butt! Also P90X is NOTHING compared to Insanity! The title says it all and now the sequel is Asylum. I have not ordered it yet cuz was told it was hard on your back and Insanity made me see the chiropractor once a week! Best wishes and do what you can!!
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    I have a question to add to this.. I see that many people do a hybrid of Insanity and something else, would you recommend that? I don't have a gym membership right now and am starting Insanity tomorrow. Should I try to find something else to do it with or will it be good on it's own? Any opinions would be appreciated!
  • Good for you, use the "don't tell me I can't do it" phrase for motivation. I just ordered my copy of Insanity as well. I know it is a hard program and I am not the best of shape but I have done P90X and got bored with it b/c I didn't feel there was enough push. Was a good program but not for me. Wish you the best of luck, keep updates on your progression :)
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    We tried Insanity in our home. The title speaks true to the program. Just know your limits and don't try to keep up at first. Stop for a breather when you need to. I believe there is a tracker or test of sorts that comes with the program. It's a short intense workout that is used to monitor your progress. Just use that at first and shoot for a goal being able to go a little bit longer each time and I think you will be fine. I have heard of numerous injuries with the program, but it does work. Just start slow and progress at your own pace.
  • simplysara9
    We tried Insanity in our home. The title speaks true to the program. Just know your limits and don't try to keep up at first. Stop for a breather when you need to. I believe there is a tracker or test of sorts that comes with the program. It's a short intense workout that is used to monitor your progress. Just use that at first and shoot for a goal being able to go a little bit longer each time and I think you will be fine. I have heard of numerous injuries with the program, but it does work. Just start slow and progress at your own pace.

I plan to do the fitness tests that come with the program. I know you do one before starting and then maybe a few throughout the program to see your progress (not sure until I get the materials) but I plan on taking each of the tests and recording my results.

I have also read to stay within your own personal limits and not to over do it because some of the people in the video can't even keep up. I plan to go at my own pace and listen to my body to reduce the risk of injury.

I am at the point that I am very determined to make a lifestyle change and I know Insanity is going to kick my *kitten* but that is what I need right now!

I will definitely post my progress throughout. I will also be talking about the program in my blog which is linked in my signature!
This discussion has been closed.