weight loss with no exercise

Options
So I've posted a couple of times regarding exercise with knee pain.

so a little bit about my self my cw is 156 lb my height is 5ft 3ins. I work as a nurse and do 3 * 12 hr shifts a wk so am on my feet majority of my shift.

I have suffered with my knees the last 3 yrs which used to only play up with kneeling and lots of squats. I started jogging the last 2 wks and have had knee pain (especially the left) last 4 days. It's easier if it is straight. The knee it self aches but burns when bent for a period of time and thigh muscle hurt too. So trip to drs this wk.

Anyway I know it's about CICO but I see a lot of success stories are from people who include exercise or have a lot of weight to lose at the beginning .

So my question is, has anyone lost say the last or only had 14-18lb with no exercise just diet?

As knee has stopped play at the min. As walking even painful at the min

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weight loss happens in the kitchen. plenty of people have done it with no exercise. you have to be tighter on what you eat and weighing your food, but yes, it can be done.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's still all about CICO. Exercise helps the deficit and is for your health, but is not necessary for weight loss. You may need to tighten your logging as you get closer to goal, but you'll get there.
  • inafog
    inafog Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    On Sept 3rd of last year I slipped and fell going down steps in our pool. The top half of my body went one way and from the knee down my bottom half went the other way. I couldn't walk, could hardly move without help, I ended up going through physical therapy and to this day I still have knee pain and can't straighten my left leg all the way. More than likely I am as healed up as I will ever get so that means knee pain for the rest of my life.

During this time I lost 40 pounds without any exercise, all I did was eat less food. I weighed 204 in Sept and today I weigh 164, I've lost 40 pounds because of nothing more than being sick and tired of being fat. You can lose weight without doing any exercise.
  • fitbunny93
    fitbunny93 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah you can totally lose weight without exercising. especially considering you are on your feet everyday as it is. as long as you count calories carefully and stay within your limit you should be fine. back when I was in high school I didn't exercise, but lost and maintained through careful eating.
    suggestions : Maybe you can try something like swimming? I think that may even benefit your knees. or perhaps short walks around the neighborhood?
  • polo18
    polo18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been eating clean (protein, non-starchy veggies, protein shakes) for the past two weeks, and have lost 12lbs without exercising. I have about 70lbs to lose, so losing 10lbs the first week isn't shocking when you switch from sugary junk to good food. My plan is to start working in weights and walking while I'm eating less calories. As I introduce more/different foods, I'll increase workouts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I lost 24lbs in 4mths with zero exercise. And had a very sedentary lifestyle.
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    @christinev297 did you lose inches as well? I know you can spot reduce but basically i gained 4lb since I bought some clothes 2 yrs ago and now the trousers don't fit, the tops of my thighs are obviously less toned than 2 yrs ago. Which is when I could exercise and do squats with little discomfort to my knees.
    Now I'm hoping and praying in the next 11 wks I can lose 10 lbs and get back in the clothes for hol.
    I've never done it by diet alone ive always exercised. So thats why I'm asking will I lose inches with diet alone too xx
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I lost weight without exercise before, I just stuck to 1200-1300 calories. Took me about 6-7 months to lose about 55lbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    @christinev297 did you lose inches as well? I know you can spot reduce but basically i gained 4lb since I bought some clothes 2 yrs ago and now the trousers don't fit, the tops of my thighs are obviously less toned than 2 yrs ago. Which is when I could exercise and do squats with little discomfort to my knees.
    Now I'm hoping and praying in the next 11 wks I can lose 10 lbs and get back in the clothes for hol.
    I've never done it by diet alone ive always exercised. So thats why I'm asking will I lose inches with diet alone too xx

I went from a (Australian) size 12 down to a size 8. So loads of inches lost, I never measured, so don't know how many. My belly was the very last thing to go :disappointed:
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3", 34 years old. I went from weighing 15 stone to 11 stone by diet alone. I was working in retail, so also on my feet all day. I now have a cushy desk job that I love and I have lost a further stone since, I did start to incorporate exercise when losing this most recent stone.

I think one of the reasons ppl encourage exercise (particularly heavy lifting) is so that when you lose the weight, you keep as much muscle as possible, rather than lose both fat and muscle.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". About 5 years ago, I went from 150 lbs to 125 lbs without exercise. It took me about 6 months sticking to 1200-1300 calories. You can definitely lose inches as well and 11 weeks is plenty of time. If I remember correctly, I went from size 8/10 jeans to size 6 in about 3 months.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options

so a little bit about my self my cw is 156 lb my height is 5ft 3ins. I work as a nurse and do 3 * 12 hr shifts a wk so am on my feet majority of my shift.

I have suffered with my knees the last 3 yrs which used to only play up with kneeling and lots of squats. I started jogging the last 2 wks and have had knee pain (especially the left) last 4 days. It's easier if it is straight. The knee it self aches but burns when bent for a period of time and thigh muscle hurt too. So trip to drs this wk.

Anyway I know it's about CICO but I see a lot of success stories are from people who include exercise or have a lot of weight to lose at the beginning .

So my question is, has anyone lost say the last or only had 14-18lb with no exercise just diet?

I lost my first 45lbs with absolutely no exercise. I have dysautonomia so exercise wasn't easy for me at first since I tend to pass out from it. I went to cardiac rehab and worked my way up until I could do it regularly.
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Going the drs on Thurs about knee. And have set calories now to 1500 Though if I can be under would be better. But I want to set a realistic target.

My tdee is 1658 But I've set it as if I have no activity.

Fingers crossed by hol will be in my clothes x
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I lost most of my weight without any exercise at all. After I hit my original goal weight I decided to keep losing, to get rid of a few 'vanity' pounds (about 10lbs). I upped my calories to do a slower paced loss/started transitioning into maintenance, and I also started walking a mile a day, 3-4 days a week. Over the course of three-ish months I upped the calories more, upped the walking and lost around 15lbs, which brought me to the low point of my updated maintenance range. I've been successfully maintaining in that area now for two years, with very minimal exercise. During the winter months I do nothing. Spring I start walking again and then do some body-weight exercises.

I have a current bmi of around 19.4 and a bf% of around 21% I have never stepped foot into a gym and I never will. I maintain my weight loss by CICO/what I eat. I also have perfect blood panels and blood pressure etc. I've found what works for me and it's sustainable long term :)
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You can do with with food only but you'd have to be quite strict. In order to gain some exercise cals you could consider swimming for exercise? Nice and low impact.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    weight loss happens in the kitchen. plenty of people have done it with no exercise. you have to be tighter on what you eat and weighing your food, but yes, it can be done.

Lets qualify that further - its a LOT harder to do it just through diet. Every little bite you take has to be accounted for. That gets lame after a while. Exercise does wonders for metabolism, body chemistry(shedding fat/preserving muscle), and overall health. Sure, the kitchen is where it mainlyy happens but IMO and in my own experience with a lot of weight loss, exercise makes it a helluva lot easier.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Me. 17lbs to be exact. Since Dec. 10th 2014. I think it took about 4 months. It will take longer without exercise but for me (and losing in winter) it was easier than doing both. I don't have a gym membership and I live in a small apartment. And I also live in Ohio where until about yesterday the weather was miserable.

Now, I'm fit as a fiddle, I had just gained too much weight. And I had to find a way that I could get it off and not give up. I can walk and run, and lift and everything I just chose not to. Now that it's nice I'm getting out and walking and doing kettlebell classes.