"Addicted" to sugar

Options
I love anything sweet and I can't stop. I can do this and lost weight before but gain some back with personal issues. But anyway sweet stuff throws me off with the constant craving of sweet thing. I'm sure others deal with this. Tips on what to eat and he to deal with this

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If you truly have trouble moderating your intake of sugar to the point you cannot control your intake, it might be helpful for you to completely eliminate it for a while.

This will give you a chance to reset your taste buds.

It's probably best, while you're doing this, to avoid fruit as well.

After a few weeks, see if you can add back small amounts of sweet things in moderation.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you can't stop eating sweets, don't start eating sweets.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    I'm about to get addicted to my Ducati, again.
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sugar is the root of all evil. I am addicted too, I've cut it out completely in the past and lost weight but I end up binging and falling back into my old ways. So now I include sugar in my diet, within my calorie allowance. I've been choosing Special K bars, protein bars, 'nakd' foods, alpro chocolate desserts. My favourite combinations are a banana still in its skin but slit down the middle, peanut butter inside then a protein bar stuffed into it... Pop in oven or under the grill so the bar melts... Mmmm. Also, total 0% fat Greek yogurt topped with fruit, a broken up Special K bar, dark chocolate chips and a squeeze of 'choc shot' (low calorie chocolate syrup by Freedom). Lastly, half fat creme fraiche swirled with an alpro chocolate dessert with strawberries and a crumbled up meringue....
    I'm hungry now.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    I love anything sweet and I can't stop. I can do this and lost weight before but gain some back with personal issues. But anyway sweet stuff throws me off with the constant craving of sweet thing. I'm sure others deal with this. Tips on what to eat and he to deal with this

What type of sweets are you referring to?

For years, I could not have cookies, cake, candy, in the house, but I always did fine with fruit (except bananas). I would not buy any type of sweet food, and would avoid it like the plague at parties. I thought I was addicted to sugar until I figured out that I was compulsively eating and sweet treats happened to be what I overate on. I also figured out that most foods contain some sugar.

Now, I eat everything in moderation, including sweets, and I have them in the house. I learned how to moderate sweets when I changed my relationship with food and came to the conclusion that sweets, or any other food, does not have power over me. I am 100% for the food choices I make.

However, you must find what works best for you.

By the way, people start a lot of "I'm addicted to sugar" threads and they usually don't go over very well.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

R1, IMO.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options

R1, IMO.
    Sweet, or should I say suga sweet.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    bI am addicted too, I've cut it out completely in the past and lost weight but I end up binging and falling back into my old ways. So now I include sugar in my diet, within my calorie allowance. I've been choosing Special K bars, protein bars, 'nakd' foods, alpro chocolate desserts. My favourite combinations are a banana still in its skin but slit down the middle, peanut butter inside then a protein bar stuffed into it... Pop in oven or under the grill so the bar melts... Mmmm. Also, total 0% fat Greek yogurt topped with fruit, a broken up Special K bar, dark chocolate chips and a squeeze of 'choc shot' (low calorie chocolate syrup by Freedom). Lastly, half fat creme fraiche swirled with an alpro chocolate dessert with strawberries and a crumbled up meringue....
    I'm hungry now.

This is not true, though it might be the root of all evil for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the root of all evil.

Technically, it's "the love of sugar is the root of all evil."

Well, if it's like money, anyway.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it. :) If it's not in the house, you can't eat it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think one think that really helps with feelings that you are out of control with respect to specific foods is being analytical or mindful about it and figuring out what's really going on. For example, I've found that I have lots of trouble controlling my intake of sugary stuff (or really anything especially palatable, but sugary stuff is just what's usually around) at my office beginning around 5 (I tend to work late) or on the weekends. This is much worse if I'm super stressed or skip meals or have had little sleep. So what I did was basically eliminate unplanned snacks and bring any food I plan to eat for planned snacks or meals (so I won't be in a situation where I skip a meal and have had nothing to eat). I also try to be conscious that I'm going to have a harder time if tired (and also use coffee, personally). When I first started I would force myself to write about how I was feeling and why I wanted to eat before eating any snacky things, which would usually make me think better of it, and I brought a bunch of low calorie raw veggies to snack on if I felt like I was dying to eat (that part got much easier faster, so I stopped this after the first week).

Related to this, I did cut out sweets for a couple of weeks to teach myself I didn't need them as an emotional crutch (I'd been using them as such from time to time at home also, although I found controlling my eating at home much easier).

Once I got over this, I found that I can mostly eat sweets in moderation now, and often have a small dessert after dinner that fits in my calories. Work remains my more dangerous place, though, so I try to avoid starting with sweets there.

Your issues may be completely different, but it's probably going to be helpful to think through when you crave things, what, what's going on, how recently you've eaten, etc.

As for what to eat if I'm craving something, I find that there are two completely different things that can work. One is become a sweets snob and eat a little of something really high quality or tasty and just appreciate it fully. I'll buy a single serving square of fancy chocolate or have a half cup of ice cream (as noted above). The other is to eat something you like that is totally different, for me this often gets rid of any sweets craving. Pickles work for me often, or if I have calories, a piece of cheese. This is something I have experimented with when cutting out sweets for a time--other foods that I appreciate as a treat that aren't sweets. (Fruit (including avocado) and cheese are usually my go tos, although of course fruit is generally sweet.)
  • miche173
    miche173 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I decided to eliminate most foods with added sugar for that reason. I highly suggest taking two weeks off from sugar, you might find it easier to moderate after that. Personally, for me, not starting is the only way to moderate my intake. I'm hoping I can eventually introduce it back into my diet in small, manageable portions.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Before I quit smoking and my metabolism went out the window, I ate a full Snickers every afternoon. That was about the only sweet I had except for the occasional birthday celebration. I don't understand "addicted to sweets" though, just as I don't understand being addicted to drugs or alcohol. I don't even believe I was addicted to smoking, and still don't. I hated smoking even while enjoying it. Even though I smoked for nearly 35 years, when I quit, I did quit, then cried for two weeks because it was so easy once I DECIDED TO DO IT. That's all it takes. You just have to decide to do it. Once you've decided, it's easy.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sugar is the root of all evil.

Technically, it's "the love of sugar is the root of all evil."

Well, if it's like money, anyway.

I like that. :D
  • 1lamb3p
    1lamb3p Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »

• 1lamb3p
    1lamb3p Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello that's my problem too. Too much sweets love them. have you tried Kool Aid with splendor and crush ice, is one thing that may work. besides fruit. hang in there.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Treat refined sugar as an addiction and eliminate it. Stick to the MFP limits for carbs and sugars when eating fruit, starches, and plain dairy. It gets easier after a few months of elimination. You'll have more energy and less intense hunger.
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cut all the sugar out of your life for two weeks. This allows your palette to change. Be mindful that there is sugar in a lot of things that don't seem sugary such as salad dressings and such. Go clean and reset your palette.
  • lrenaee
    lrenaee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize...I have a real problem with sugary pastries. I just don't let myself near the doughnut section at the grocery story :wink: But seriously, I just work some kind of goodie into my calories or else I binge and end up eating way more. Half a cup of Tillamook ice cream is just over 100 calories, and so I save those for after dinner. I suppose I could cut all the sweets out of my diet but then I'd be sad :( why do that when I can still lose weight and have my ice cream?!