My weight is starting to look like a parabola - on the way back up.

Options
I weigh every day with the Withings Scale so I have tons of weight data from every morning for the last year. From May - December last year, I lost 50 lbs.

My lowest recorded weight was 259.5.

Since Jan 23rd, my weight has been on the way back up for the first time since I started losing in May of 2014.

After binging on cookies, McDonald's, and a Chinese buffet yesterday I weighed in this morning at 278 - almost 20 pounds above my lowest weight from a few months ago.

How could I have let this happen? I eat because I feel bad, which makes me feel worse, which makes me eat more.... I am back to feeling like the trash I eat.

How do you break this cycle?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You know HOW to do it, you lost 50 pounds. Congratulations! NOW choose to do it. You've got this!
  • Shellys_Start
    Shellys_Start Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get back with the program after you have a gain like that. All you do is realize you screwed up and start over again. New day = new chance for change.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You need to put a strategy in place so that when you get upset you do no try and eat your way out of it, but handle it with a non food solution. If you crack that, then you already have the diet thing sussed.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Put your fork down and back away from the table. Now get your fat butt to the gym and start exercising.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It happens to a lot of us that have problems with food and use it to control our emotions. Most people who have been morbidly obese have a messed up relationship with food. I had lost 160 pounds this time last year then started back to some of my same old food behaviors and stopped exercising and logging my food. I gained back 35 pounds and it was really disappointing. I started back two months ago and I've been focusing everyday on changing my attitude about food and dieting. I'm focusing on exercise and fueling my body for that. I take it day by day and try not to focus on the scale or strict dieting. You can get back on track now so the gain doesn't get worse. Don't put it off til tomorrow. Good luck, hun!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    atreides42 wrote: »
    I weigh every day with the Withings Scale so I have tons of weight data from every morning for the last year. From May - December last year, I lost 50 lbs.

Since Jan 23rd, my weight has been on the way back up for the first time since I started losing in May of 2014.

After binging on cookies, McDonald's, and a Chinese buffet yesterday I weighed in this morning at 278 - almost 20 pounds above my lowest weight from a few months ago.

How could I have let this happen? I eat because I feel bad, which makes me feel worse, which makes me eat more.... I am back to feeling like the trash I eat.

Find a different way of dealing with your emotions. See a therapist. Write in a journal. Listen to music or sing. Exercise. Meditate. Take a warm bath. Talk to a friend. Pet a cat or dog. Write a list of positive things about you and your life instead of focusing on the negative. Watch a movie. Volunteer somewhere. Start a new hobby. Clean or organize your house.

Pre-log your meals and stick with your plan. Include reasonable portions of cookies or fast food occasionally in your plan or don't buy that stuff at all.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Nasty cycle isn't it? Binge, guilt, give up, binge more, regret. Talk to a therapist and find another outlet for those emotions. It helps immensely.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Stop promoting obesity. She was fat and lost weight and was at a healthy weight. She's just imagining reasons on why she's fat again and giving excuses on not dieting.
    You know, I owe you one.

It is only because every single post I've ever seen from you is a misinforming troll busting the boundaries of mere stupidity that I clicked and read the article.

So the blogger discovered, like many people do, that becoming thin(er) didn't solve all her problems.

She also discovered, like most of us do, that her relationship with food was not particularly healthy.

And she apparently discovered she had an ED and got treatment for it.

And she is still maintaining her weight loss.

As usual, you descripion and comments on the situation were bang..... nevermind... I know you live under a bridge so why am I bothering...
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    The good news is you KNOW how to lose weight and you are able to do it. Losing 50 pounds is quite an accomplishment.
    Now, for some reason you've lost your incentive and drive to continue the healthier lifestyle. The emotional eating and binge eating can't be ignored though. Have you thought of talking to a therapist or perhaps attending an Over Eaters Anonymous meeting?

Good luck. :)
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was doing MFP a couple years ago and lost 44 pounds...then I stopped logging and stopped getting on the scale, a year-ish went by and 35 pounds had "magically" reappeared, so I started logging and stepping on the scale again in January. Lesson learned, I have to weigh myself frequently and log diligently. Just keep getting back up again.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    atreides42 wrote: »

Ok, first off, you know what a parabola is. That's damn sexy.

Second thing, you know what a parabola is, so you know math. You know CICO, you know what you have to do.

Third thing. I'm guessing you know how to logic. Try logicing Your way out if your sad-cycle. You know what makes you feel bad. Accept it and stop doing it!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What started the upwards cycle again? You had lost weight, you can do it, you have done it. What motivated you the first time? What got you going? Find that motivation and do it again. You can do it.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What started the upwards cycle again? You had lost weight, you can do it, you have done it. What motivated you the first time? What got you going? Find that motivation and do it again. You can do it.

Self diagnosed seasonal affective disorder, which was previously clinically diagnosed depressive disorder. As soon as the season/weather changed last October my mood started a downward spiral. Even though spring is breaking through here, I haven't seen the change back to how things were last May when I got started. I think if I can break the funk by starting my outdoor exercise routine that it will help.

You all are correct, I now know what needs to be done - I learned that last year when I lost 50 lbs, and honestly before that I didn't know how to do it. I was never raised with a healthy diet or proper exercise routine.

Knowing and doing is the difference. I think the fact I am back on here at least reaching out again is a helpful sign. This is where I was last year, reaching out on MFP, when it all finally clicked for me.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Saying you eat because you feel bad is just an excuse.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    No, it's a reason.

Knowledge is power. Next October, artreides, get yourself a light box - they don't cost that much and they do work :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

You must not have gotten your special treat today...