Too much vitamin A and C? Not even iron and calcium?

Options
Just out of curiosity: I've noticed that each day my vitamin A reaches near 900% of my daily and my vitamin C reaches near 600%. Can you consume "too much"? I do not take supplements; my diet is just rich fruits and vegetables. I am eating on average 1100 to 1600 calories a day.

On the other hand, my calcium barely reaches 50%. I am (most of the time) dairy and (full time) wheat free per my physician. I say most of the time for dairy as I'll allow cheese just once in awhile but only in very small amounts to avoid stomach distress. What foods can help me reach my calcium goal without consuming dairy? What about iron? My iron intake generally falls below as well.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on MFP for micronutritional information, I think it's too inaccurate. Most entries have this information missing, so it's not going to be a good representation of your intake.
  • LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem. I just got some cheap calcium and iron supplements and take those. I also go several hundred over A & C. Vitamin C is water soluble and is virtually impossible to overdose on. There are some possible issues with too much Vitamin A, since it is fat soluble and not water soluble. Wikipedia says that also consuming large amounts of Vitamin E may reduce any harmful effects of exceeding the daily allowance, which depends on your age and sex, so I would doublecheck those and then see how much you're really exceeding it by.
    Kudos on having the problem of eating too many fruits and veggies, btw. ;)