need tips for a new runner with asthma please

Options
I THINK I might attempt to start running this summer. But here is the problem...I HATE running mostly b/c I've never been good at it, I have asthma so I need to becareful. My asthma is the main reason I stick to JM dvd's but I know that in order to get rid of this stubborn belly fat my body needs more cardio. Any tips from runners would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma and began the C25K program a couple of months ago. I didn't think I'd be able to do it because of my asthma...but...surprisingly...I can now run for 30 minutes straight...and my lungs and asthma have improved dramatically. I rarely take my puffer anymore. It has been great. I definitely suggest you start running. Your lungs will thank you for it!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Have a look at c25k

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It starts you off very gently and will give you a good idea of how far you can push yourself without overdoing it.

Good luck
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I agree, I also have asthma and totally hear you. Just take your puffer before you go to start with, listen to to your bodytand walk when your lungs need you to. Aim to slowly increase the amount of time you run, C25K is a good plan to help you do that. I kind of did my own thing a bit like C25K. I found that once I could run for about 10mins without needing to walk, I could just run ... try running long distances as slowly as you can, just set a distance and run it.

Three months ago I couldn't run more than a lampost distance without needing to walk, now I can run 10km, probably more though I haven't tried! And after 3 months I'm starting to feel lighter on my feet and starting to enjoy it, honestly for me the hardest part of going for a run is putting my trainers on and walking out of the door!

You can do it, go get em!