C25K help

Options
Hi, I started C25K on the 1st May, with very little hope. The first day was horrendous, I felt sick and my stomach was sweating and cramping. By day 2 I was already feeling an improvement.

I've decided to not stick rigidly to the plan as I know from prior experience if I try to push myself too far at first I'll end up dropping it, and I don't want to. Sunday was my first W3D1. I often find the first two jogs are the most difficult so only do 1.15, then slowly increase. I managed to jog 3 minutes solid twice in that day which was good for me (I was very pleased!) but didn't quite believe it, so for my last jog of the day I pushed even further, managed 5 minutes pretty easily and was VERY happy!

So today, with a spring in my step, I set out to accomplish mostly 3 minute jogs and maybe one 4/5 minute jog. How wrong was I. I'm not entirely sure what was different, but today felt like a complete failure. I struggled for a minute, struggled for a minute thirty. I barely managed to scrape two 2 1/2 minute jogs before deciding today was not going my way. I extended my time out (did 10 reps instead of 8) and for my last two jogs, jogged for a minute at a quicker pace than usual. Even that made me feel ill!

I'm feeling very deflated about it, but I guess we all have good and bad days.

So I'm thinking, perhaps I shouldn't worry so much about the reps at the moment. perhaps I should simply try to increase the distance I go and then reduce the time it takes me? I did 2.6km in 29 minutes (including my 5 minute warm up walk) which is neither fast nor slow (well probably slow but not terrible I hope!). So I'm wondering if maybe next time I should push for 2.5km in 27 minutes, then 25 etc. Or gradually increase the distance? As it stands it would take me about an hour to walk/jog 5K which is actually pretty slow, but I've already improved (10 days ago it took me the same time to walk/jog 2.2km).

Anyway thoughts and suggestions very welcome :)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I started by just running 6 of the one minute runs in week one, the next day did seven of the, then eight. Then I repeated week 1 for another week.
    Then onto week 2 and I did the same thing - just built up slowly and once I could make it through all the repeats I did another week at that pace.

I think it's important (if you aren't a runner, and are starting from scratch like me) to take it slow and go at a pace that you can acheive. I'd suggest:
    - slow down your speed to find the pace where you can get through all the repitions.
    - don't be afraid to walk one of the runs for the first day or two if you need to (though slowing down might just take care of this)
    - repeat the week until you can do all the reps.
    - then, and only then, move onto the next week.
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think you're right. I guess I'll be sitting on week 3 for a while then haha! Thank you :smile:
  • SandraMay1982
    SandraMay1982 Posts: 328
    Options
    I started C25k. I gave up a while ago. ha.

I was on week 1 for over 3 weeks. I could get about 5 or 6 of the 1 minute runs out. I usually walk at about 5 - 6 kmph . and I set my jog to about 8kmph.

I had more issues with my ankles hating me with all the weight I am carrying, hence why I stopped doing it until I get down a ways.

You have to do what you feel comfortable with. even if you just do week 1 for a couple of weeks and then move up like that. jiggle the program around a bit, if you don't do it in the 9-12 weeks (whichever one you're following) then so be it. you're still doing it . everyone's different.
  • xrockinrobyn
    Options
    I think I will always have to do a shorter jog for my first one, but then if that means doing 8 reps in the session so be it. I really want to do this, I've never lasted this long with jogging and I don't want to quit now.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No, don't give up, I didn't think I could do it but it feel soooooo good to be able to go out for a run, and go nonstop for 30 - 45 minutes. I just never thought I could do it, so it feels like a major acheivement.

My pace is still really slow, but I'm not too worried about that, I've had some knee problems, so I want to build up my endurance and muscle strength and I'll work on speed later.

It has reallly helped my weight loss too (it was so much fun to be at a conference last week with people I haven't seen for 2 years and to hear "wow, you're looking great, what are you doing?" and to be able to casually reply "well, I've taken up running and am eating better'. I felt 10 feet tall!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Well done on your running!

I know how amazing it is feels to progress because I'm a new runner too. Like you I also started out slowly - walking 1min, running for 30secs (!) building up in 15sec increments and now run 3+minutes at a time. (I also try to stick to road running as I find treadmill much easier and can run for much, much longer.) As I'm only a learner I don't have many wise words of wisdom other than my own experience and suggestions from others:

1. I've found that I can run better in the morning when it's cooler and the air fresher, if it's humid or hot I struggle more.
    2. I run better away from the roads and pollution.
    3. Some days are just harder than others.
    4. I do better when I don't run everyday.
    5. I can't run hungry! Or after drinking coffee. And I take a bottle of fresh orange juice with me which keeps up my blood sugar.
    6. The right music helps, as does being cross! (But I don't recommend the cross bit!)
    7. Many people have found the running programmes have enabled them to be successful, thus it should also work for me....BUT
    8. I have had to tweak the programme to suit my ability - whilst still challenging me. So what if it takes me a few weeks longer to complete.
    9. Others have helpfully suggest cross training and I plan to add that in.
    10. Not run a 5k yet but what I have read is for beginners finishing is good! And you got great time so you can clearly do it!

The question you ask about endurance and following the programme, a number of people have suggested that following the programme will increase endurance and I've now just started to follow the programme properly and found that I can get into a better rhythm - and when that happens I go faster.

I hope that some of that waffle is helpful! Please friend me if you like.

Good luck with it all - you sound determined and that's an essential!

Shirley
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice here - this site is the best for that! I'd just like to stress the good day bad day thing - hopefully now you'll have a few good days, and they are the days that keep you going!
    By all means tweak the plan to your own needs, but it is a brilliant plan, and if you keep going you will surprise yourself every week!
    Good luck
  • xrockinrobyn
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, I actually feel like going out again and trying it all over!

I will repeat this week until I can crack it easily. I have actually shortened the amount of time I walk for as I've noticed my recovery rate is much quicker than it was two weeks ago and my RHR is about 67 (I'm 20) so not too shabby, I've just never run or wanted to! I really enjoy the feeling of accomplishing something and I guess, as you say, we all have bad days, I'm glad I've got my first bad day (I don't count the first lol) out of the way, I can push forwards and get over it.

You're right about never minding how long it takes, this isn't a temporary solution to a permanent problem, it's a permanent solution. One thing I have found though is that I NEED to jog on one of my rest days between the weeks (friday and saturday - I jog sun/tues/thurs and short jog (half session) friday) as giving myself two days off was definitely detrimental. I also wonder if it doesn't help that where we are, the paths are pretty poor. I can run around the back roads but prefer to jog at night (this is the first time I've jogged in the morning) and so it's a little creepy on your own!

I think I'll stick to evening runs, that way I can jog as slow as my grandad without being mocked :laugh: I do wonder if I jog too fast but I don't feel that fast. I really do want to do this. Losing weight is great but being fit, healthy and toning up is even better. Plus my legs and stomach could do with the help!

Thank you :smile:
  • NicB72
    NicB72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in January - followed it exactly to the letter and didn't repeat any weeks, just by keeping my pace slow. I finished it in exactly the amount of time given - 9 weeks for the app I was doing (NHS C25K). I lost a stone in that amount of time and now have another stone to go. I definitely managed to complete the programme by just keeping my pace at a slow and steady rate and I didn't worry about making the 5 k - just concentrated on jogging continuously for 30 minutes and then decided that once I'd done that then I'd worry about the distance. I had run in the past and completed 5k races but when I started again in January it was probably a good 2 years since I had done any form of running so honestly just stick with it, keep your pace slow and steady and focus on how good you'll feel once you've completed the last week. When I finished my last week I was in the middle of the park and congratulated myself a little too loudly as it felt so good to have achieved my goal!! Good luck with it - keep up the good work!
  • xrockinrobyn
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd be able to hold out for the entire plan if I did it as it says. The increase in running seems quite drastic (for me) and I'd rather it take longer and have to repeat weeks than to run the risk of making myself even more demotivated. I'm still feeling quite down about it, but looking forward to my next jog in the hopes it was a one-off bad moment.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd be able to hold out for the entire plan if I did it as it says. The increase in running seems quite drastic (for me) and I'd rather it take longer and have to repeat weeks than to run the risk of making myself even more demotivated. I'm still feeling quite down about it, but looking forward to my next jog in the hopes it was a one-off bad moment.

That is so important - go at your own pace. I think to be successful you have to be determined, but if you are determined you can be impatient I speak for myself here! If I tried to follow the C25K to the letter I would fail - it just progresses too fast for me and I would get demotivated too. The important thing is to notice when it starts to get a little easier and at that push yourself a little harder towards a goal.

You are right, for some of us:
    Slow & steady = finishing and a sense of achievement and progress.
    Fast = exhaustion and disappointment.

You sound like you have a lot of insight into yourself and what you are capable of and what you need to do! Good for you!
  • xrockinrobyn
    Options
    Thank you! Looking forward to my run tomorrow. I'll slow it down and try and stick to what the plan says, and if it takes me an extra week, so be it :D
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 monday. I wanted to die! Then again I am so out of shape! LOL Today is day 2.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    It can help to slow down quite a bit and also to repeat weeks As are you are doing.
    When I started I couldn't do C25K so I did Jeff Galloway's 8-week conditioning program
    first just walking and repeated it all over again with the
    jog segments.
    It's free online and the gymboss item is most helpful and it's available at multiple sources on the web (meaning this is not an ad for Galloway's site)
    Don't worry that it includes some walking. I finished a half marathon doing Run Walk Run
    Just an idea. I found it can be important to Not over-do it. :-)
    Listen to your body. And remember, even seemingly small incremental progress over time yields grand results !

The webite is Run Injury Free. And the 8-week conditioning program is under the Training - Half Marathon tab.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    It can help to slow down quite a bit and also to repeat weeks As are you are doing.
    When I started I couldn't do C25K so I did Jeff Galloway's 8-week conditioning program
    first just walking and repeated it all over again with the
    jog segments.
    It's free online and the gymboss item is most helpful and it's available at multiple sources on the web (meaning this is not an ad for Galloway's site)
    Don't worry that it includes some walking. I finished a half marathon doing Run Walk Run
    Just an idea. I found it can be important to Not over-do it. :-)
    Listen to your body. And remember, even seemingly small incremental progress over time yields grand results !

The webite is Run Injury Free. And the 8-week conditioning program is under the Training - Half Marathon tab.

Well thanks so much for the tips!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do c25k, continue to repeat days until you're ready to move on. Slow down if you have to! I run REALLY, REALLY slow (about 4mph - which according to MFP is a brisk walk! :laugh: )

For me, I switched over to c210k at week 4. I just couldn't handle the quick increase in times c25k was throwing at me.

C210k is the same program but shoots for a 10k. You'd think it would be harder, but it's actually easier. The runs are shorter. The walks/recovery is longer - but it's also twice as long of a workout (so you're building endurance quicker). I'm on week 6 and my distance is 3.5 - 4 miles.

I've still had to repeat weeks (I was on week 5 for 3 weeks but just moved up to week 6). But, the way I look at it is that I'm still running for an hour each time while I work up to the next week.

I tend to be a perfectionist - I had to let that go if I was going to complete this program. It's not a race. It's a goal. You'll get there when you get there... but you have to keep going to get there.

If you want to feel normal, feel free to read my c25k progress report...

http://c25k.cze.dk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1042
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    TS65 - I didn't want to quote you since your post is long but thanks for the info. My wife is ready to start an exercise program but I think c25k might push her with the running (overweight, bad ankles and knees.) I'll check out the c210k progarm for her; thanks!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    TS 65... I jog at the 4.0 range on my treadmill as well. to me, that is fast! I do the walking at 3.0. to me, that is brisk. LOL I read your blog/review. I am right there with you on height and weight, so I totally feel you there. I am on day 2 week 1 for the C25K, so I am not sure what lies next. I just finished my jog, and I am dying. This time, I thought I was going to die at jog 3... sooo bad, I know. But I pushed through and finished even though I wanted to quit! I am so interested in checking out the 10K. I did sign up for a benefit 5K walk/jog/run/bike, in August. So, I know I don't have to run the entire thing, and hopefully I will be dropping some pounds so it will get easier too.

Thank you for your info and blog post!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Slow down to a light jog, I have kept my pace slooooww but I have not repeated any weeks and am now running 25 minutes at 4.6mph, ok I won't be breaking any records soon but my endurance goes up every week. I also force myself to speed up for the last minute every time however tired I am to 5mph. I only run faster than 4.6mph if I run outside, for some reason I just cant run that slow off a treadmill and I haven't tried a long run outside yet.
  • xrockinrobyn
    Options
    Well today was my repeat of week 3 day 1. I did it! Slowed myself down (covered 2.9km in 36 minutes (excluding my warm up walk). I don't know how fast I go because I'm running outside and I'm trying not to beat myself up over how slow I am because it's NOT the easiest place to run. Slow incrementing hills, uneven ground etc, I don't want to ruin my knees because they're not the best.

It's a total of 18 minutes jogging and 18 minutes walking.