Weight Fluctuations (How does one know it's actual weight loss?)

Options
2»

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been long at all, not even a whole month. You must be patient :)

Are you super active? I'm 5'3" as well and eat about 1400 calories a day. I'm fairly active, and some times eat more, but 1795 would be too much for me.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    You can overcome fluctuations by ONLY logging your lows. If the lowest point last week is higher than the lowest point this week, then it's pretty likely that you've lost weight. You can't expect every weigh-in to be the lowest ever, but when it IS the lowest ever, you can usually be confident that your weight has decreased. This is even more reliable than logging weekly or bi-weekly or on any time interval, as those can still be challenged by fluctuations.

This is what I do. If I see a number lower than my last entry I log it. If it's up again the next day I don't log it, I just wait to see another number lower. Works for me!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fat loss and gain is a slow process. Large sudden variations are most probably water weight. Ignore it. Look at the trend. I weigh every day and use Trendweight.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    number wrote:
    if you're maintaining at 158 with exercise and cutting calories it could just be that you're putting on some muscle.
    1 - It's hard for women to build muscle.
    2 - It's nearly impossible for anyone to build muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.
    I'm thrilled that this calculator says that
    I've gained 4 lb of lean body mass while losing over 80 lb of fat. I think it's measurement error, and
    have probably only maintained LBM, but I'm perfectly happy with that. At least I haven't lost any
    appreciable amount.

number wrote:
    Also try cutting your daily calories by 100 which is equal to 700 calories a week
    and should net you about a pound loss or more in a month.
    700 cal/week x 4 weeks/month = 2800 cal/month
    1 lb is about 3500 calories

At 5'3", 31yo, & currently 156 lb, this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine shows that to
    maintain your weight you should eat 1407 cal/day if you're inactive. So cut 250 cal/day from that
    (1150) to lose 0.5 lb/week. You're short enough that it's probably not going to hurt you to be that
    low. That calculator also tells how many servings of the food groups you should eat.

I generally go with the "inactive" setting because it is the most conservative on calories. I probably use
    more than that, but I also probably eat more than I log because I don't use a scale & rarely actually
    measure volume. The errors cancel out.

And with only 30 lb to lose, it's going to be slow. (That's where I'm stuck right now. Frustrating.)
    If you're aiming for a healthy BMI, being 135 would put you at 24.0 & you'd need 1312 cal/day to
    maintain if you are inactive.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    But yeah, like others have said - look at the long-term trend.
    Not days, probably not even a few weeks, but a couple months.
    I write my weight on the calendar every morning, log it here if it's gone down. Makes it easy to look back.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    kailyw05 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    You can overcome fluctuations by ONLY logging your lows. If the lowest point last week is higher than the lowest point this week, then it's pretty likely that you've lost weight. You can't expect every weigh-in to be the lowest ever, but when it IS the lowest ever, you can usually be confident that your weight has decreased. This is even more reliable than logging weekly or bi-weekly or on any time interval, as those can still be challenged by fluctuations.

This is what I do. If I see a number lower than my last entry I log it. If it's up again the next day I don't log it, I just wait to see another number lower. Works for me!

Me, too. I write down my weight every day in a separate calendar (to observe trends, etc.), but only log new lows in MFP.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't know how you guys could just relax for so long with such a static weight? It sounds like the OP is maintaining.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I use Libra (same idea as Happy Scale). I log my weight every day, and even though I thought I was maintaining (bouncing between 177-179), I was actually going down, but only at an overall rate of 0.2 lbs per week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It looks like you've gone nowhere for a month. Looking through your diary, I'm not really what is being weighted, what is by volume, what is guesstimated. Eg, there was an entry for 0.02xxx servings of bread. What did you mean by that?

I've never had a stall longer than ~10 days that didn't turn out to highlight a mistake in my logging. At a month, you're outside the typical "it's not linear" envelope, and it really does sound like you're eating at maintenance (ie, more than you think). If it were me, I'd be taking an extremely close look at my logging practises.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been long at all, not even a whole month. You must be patient :)

Are you super active? I'm 5'3" as well and eat about 1400 calories a day. I'm fairly active, and some times eat more, but 1795 would be too much for me.
    Trying to be patient, thanks :)

I'm quite active. I'm a SAHM of two and spend most of my days on my feet. On top of it, I do cardio 2-3 times a week (~30 min sessions) and lift 2x/week.

How close are you to your goal?

• Labouffecestbon
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Personally I don't know how you guys could just relax for so long with such a static weight? It sounds like the OP is maintaining.
    How much of a variation should there be, you think?

Oh gosh, I hope not! Lol
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    I use Libra (same idea as Happy Scale). I log my weight every day, and even though I thought I was maintaining (bouncing between 177-179), I was actually going down, but only at an overall rate of 0.2 lbs per week.
    Aaaah interesting!

• Labouffecestbon
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It looks like you've gone nowhere for a month. Looking through your diary, I'm not really what is being weighted, what is by volume, what is guesstimated. Eg, there was an entry for 0.02xxx servings of bread. What did you mean by that?

I've never had a stall longer than ~10 days that didn't turn out to highlight a mistake in my logging. At a month, you're outside the typical "it's not linear" envelope, and it really does sound like you're eating at maintenance (ie, more than you think). If it were me, I'd be taking an extremely close look at my logging practises.

Good luck! :drinker:
    It means I cut out a tiny piece of bread, weighed it, divided what is by serving size and logged it. I enter stuff like that because I know the cals can make a difference. On my phone, it might show up as, say 1/40, not 0.02****. I'm quite careful with the whole weighing and logging. I try not to estimate when possible. I even measure and log my recipes in the Recipe Builder.

How do you know you're stalling though? That's what I wonder. Is it when you have two days in a row of the same weight? Three? Four? I was at 156.6 (second lowest) a couple of times. Then up to 158, then down to 157. One time the scale read 155, but I don't count it because when I stepped on the scale again, the number changed lol (I generally step 3 times).

I'll certainly keep a closer look at my logging and be extra extra accurate. I have to be since I'm eating so close to maintenance.

Thanks!
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    number wrote:
    if you're maintaining at 158 with exercise and cutting calories it could just be that you're putting on some muscle.
    1 - It's hard for women to build muscle.
    2 - It's nearly impossible for anyone to build muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.
    I'm thrilled that this calculator says that
    I've gained 4 lb of lean body mass while losing over 80 lb of fat. I think it's measurement error, and
    have probably only maintained LBM, but I'm perfectly happy with that. At least I haven't lost any
    appreciable amount.

number wrote:
    Also try cutting your daily calories by 100 which is equal to 700 calories a week
    and should net you about a pound loss or more in a month.
    700 cal/week x 4 weeks/month = 2800 cal/month
    1 lb is about 3500 calories

At 5'3", 31yo, & currently 156 lb, this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine shows that to
    maintain your weight you should eat 1407 cal/day if you're inactive. So cut 250 cal/day from that
    (1150) to lose 0.5 lb/week. You're short enough that it's probably not going to hurt you to be that
    low. That calculator also tells how many servings of the food groups you should eat.

I generally go with the "inactive" setting because it is the most conservative on calories. I probably use
    more than that, but I also probably eat more than I log because I don't use a scale & rarely actually
    measure volume. The errors cancel out.

And with only 30 lb to lose, it's going to be slow. (That's where I'm stuck right now. Frustrating.)
    If you're aiming for a healthy BMI, being 135 would put you at 24.0 & you'd need 1312 cal/day to
    maintain if you are inactive.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
    Oh those are depressing numbers! :s
    Fortunately I'm not inactive.

I might be off on my logging, as suggested. Or I might just need to be patient and give it more time, as suggested as well. It won't hurt to do both.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 154lbs, and 28. I eat an average of 1700 cals and am losing weight nicely. I do about 5 workouts a week (yoga and running mostly, planning to add in lifting) and work a standing job as well as ride my horse generally 4-5 times a week.
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Uselessly_Irrelevant Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    g3Ye4OL.jpg
    I'm about the same height & weight (5'4" - 161lb atm) and my weight loss is going at about the same pace as yours. Here's what mine looks like over the same time period as yours. 165 at the start of the month, low was today at 161, but I will not be at all surprised if it jumps up to 163+ tomorrow. I know it's frustrating to have such slow losses, but at least it's a downward trend! Good luck :D