Resting heart rate

Options
I recently tested my resting heart rate and I got 54bpm. According to a website I visited the average is 60 to 90. So what does this mean for me? Do I have a heart problem?
Thanks for any responses!

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but depending on age, health, fitness ect 54 may not be in the average but is still considered normal.
    Check it every morning for a week a few minutes after you wake but before doing anything.
    Obviously if you are concerned about it go see your doctor.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Mine is 50 to 53 BPM very consistently since I stepped up my running training.

A strong and healthy heart can do more work in each beat.

If you believe yours to be low without good fitness as an explanation you may wish to consult with a doctor for reassurance.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would ask the doctor. I felt like Sh*&T with mine under 58 and had to go off the meds causing it. If you aren't on meds, you may be low on electrolytes. Either way, ask the doc!
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Twenty years ago, my resting HR was 44. Doctor had me take a stress test and found nothing wrong. Twenty years later I'm at 46. If you are really concerned, see your doctor.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'd say it sounds ok if you are fit & healthy. If you are concerned, definitely seek medical advice from a medical professional :smile:
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

According to that chart your HR is in the athlete range.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Mine hovers around 52. It is usually a sign your body is healthy rather than the other way around.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Mine has been bouncing between 38 and 44 depending on how recovered I am from the day before. Unless something feels abnormal 54 isn't anything to worry about.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I'm usually between 48 and 52 when well rested. I don't get into the 60's until after a really big workout or when I am coming down with something.

I never tracked resting heart rate until late last year. I had an EKG done in January and no problems found despite being well below that average.

From the way I understand it, while the average range is in that 60-90 range you need to keep in mind that the average person is also average "fitness". So if you are fitter than average that can influence your resting heart rate, bringing it down generally.

I'm not a doctor or medical professional. This is simply info as I understand it from looking into resting heart rate myself.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There is a huge range of what is normal as opposed to what is average, average people aren't very fit!

I'm x3 your age and my minimum HR is 48 as I cycle a lot. Used to be about 65 before I got fit.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I run and lift 5-6 days a week and my in in the low 40s...but I've just always had a low HR. Check with the doc if you feel weak/tired/dizzy/lightheaded, otherwise, if you feel fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    my resting heart rate is in the mid 50's. I believe I am just healthy