So hungry the day AFTER big workout.

Options
I worked out yesterday at the gym and as always could take or leave extra food on the day of the workout, but today wow I am hungry and have no opportunity to burn extra calories today. What to do?? Be hungry? Eat?

Replies

• leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    eat, but choose good foods :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, eat. If you're hungry, legitmately hungry, you should eat. If you had leftover calories and the end of yesterday, then you should be fine. Even if you didn't, one day what shut down your progress.
    Also, try spacing out what you eat- for example, eating 6 small meals instead of 3 normal ones. Eat lots of protein and fiber too, and drink lots of water- all of those help you fill up.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I'm the same, I don't get a tremendous workout, but still feel hungry the next day
  • kajunsarah
    kajunsarah Posts: 25
    Options
    bump
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Having the same problem. Had an intense workout yesterday, but...wasn't really hungry at all for the rest of the day. Normally the day after I am beyond hungry, it's nuts. But I am doing a video today, so hopefully that'll help the hunger.

If not, try to choose good foods, and eat smaller portions throughout the day instead of three normal portions.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to work out what you are hungry FOR.... Probably Carbs, Protein or both. As protein is lower calories I would try that first: Eat a lump of chicken or something :) better yet - have a protein drink/shake if you have tone to hand.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    aah didn't think about using a shake to quell my hunger will try that next time as have bought some whey protein powder
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems too. I eat wayyy too much the next day after a workout and it seems like my brain is trying to sabatoge my body. :explode:
  • ChrisR0128
    ChrisR0128 Posts: 86
    Options
    Same problem here. As a matter of fact right before i clicked on this i just changed my deficit on my calories, was at 2lbs a week, now almost 40 pounds later I just adjusted it to 1lb deficit. Will see how it goes
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    I ended up having lunch a little earlier than normal but seem to be feeling ok now, i do eat enough or atleast i think i do lol!
    I just seem to want food the day after the work out!
    I may look at changing my deficit but seens as i'm not loosing any weight just inches i don't know if it'll make any difference lol!

Thanks for the info!