Vacation

Options
I'm heading down to FL and GA for a week to visit friends and family. Was curious if anyone had tips they can share how to stay on track with eating and excercise. Also, we plan on going to a theme park on day. How do I count all that walking as excercise?

Replies

• Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    probably not much ya might get a couple of hours @ 2-2.5mile an hour
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I know it will be hard, but treat your vacation like any other day just in a different place. Do you have a pedometer? Most have a stop watch on them. Then you can save the intervals in time on the note pad on your phone and just enter when you get a second.
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i just got back from a disney 4 day trip. It was a little tough but most of the restuants have deli type sandwiches and baked turkey legs
    plus take into consideration the amount of calories you will burn just walking around.
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, we went to FL in April and I found it pretty easy to stay on track. We ran every morning (it was so gorgeous out) and then sometimes rode the bicycles in the afternoon which was fun AND burned calories. Eating wasnt as hard as I thought. I didnt let them talk me into "Fries with that" and opted for side salads with sandwiches. I ate a lot of grilled chicken and if I had a sandwich that had super huge bread on it I took off the top and used the lettuce as the top. It worked out well most of the time. I also ordered salads with grilled chicken a lot for dinner. Many times they are huge salads with a whole breast of chicken on top. Order the dressing on the side (light or no fat if possible) and put it on yourself. They put on way too much anyway.

I dont like fish but I assume that the grilled fish dishes and blackened fish dishes are probably good for you and pretty low cal. Stay away from fried or you will be sorry :)

I hope this helps.
    Carole
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I do have a Pedometer that I currently use to track steps. (its not anything fancy).
    The thought of going to a Huddle House for eggs and grits makes my mouth water! LOL. I've been looking forward to southern cooking all year! But I'll shoot for the deli sandwiches for lunch/dinner and take off the top piece of bread. Also try and stick with salads. Thanks guys!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I always take a bunch of Clif bars, apples, trail mix, wheat thins, choc. covered raisins, nuts, etc. when I'm traveling. That way, at least I've got breakfast and some healthy(ish) snacks in the hotel room and then can usually still do okay on lunch and dinner... as long as I don't get crazy with the fried foods or alcohol! It keeps me from hitting the hotel vending machines.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just came back from an 8 day vacation out of the country with no internet access (so no MFP!). I did my best to make wise choices food-wise but definitely ate and drank more than I would normally. However, I was also very active (walking, swimming, etc.). I ate some "bad" food, for instance a pulled pork sandwich, but I ate mostly meat and a little bread, opted for veggies not french fries, opted for seafood not beef...basically made a bunch of little decisions to knock off some calories that added up. I am pleased to report I came back at the same weight as when I left!

My advice is to be aware of the choices you make and most importantly remember PORTION CONTROL! I still ate fatty/calorie laden things here and there while vacationing but I kept the portion size in check.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have my base activity level set to the lowest so when I walk a lot when I'm shopping or another place - I normally use the approx time (i normally set it about 30minutes lower than what i think it was) and the slowest walking speed (2mph) and track my exercise that way.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have a weekend at Mall of America over Memorial Day and then a week in Florida and my 30th birthday in between....All this has me a bit worried! i am going to mall with my sister and mom, both working on the weight loss thing so that should help!! Going to make sure I at least get some workouts in other then all the walking :yawn: