My weight is starting to look like a parabola - on the way back up.

Options
2»

Replies

• atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some types of advice work for fat people as well as telling a depressed person "just get over it", "buck up", "be happy." :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    atreides42 wrote: »
    Some types of advice work for fat people as well as telling a depressed person "just get over it", "buck up", "be happy." :)

But really there are only a few choices:
    {a)--able and willing to get going and do what you know you must
    {b)--able and willing to get help (medical intervention? light box? therapy?) to get to where you can do (a)
    {c)--keep hoping that things will fix themselves.

Of the three, one has the least chance for a good outcome :smiley:
    And really, you have already proven you can do it!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    atreides42 wrote: »
    What started the upwards cycle again? You had lost weight, you can do it, you have done it. What motivated you the first time? What got you going? Find that motivation and do it again. You can do it.

Self diagnosed seasonal affective disorder, which was previously clinically diagnosed depressive disorder. As soon as the season/weather changed last October my mood started a downward spiral. Even though spring is breaking through here, I haven't seen the change back to how things were last May when I got started. I think if I can break the funk by starting my outdoor exercise routine that it will help.

You all are correct, I now know what needs to be done - I learned that last year when I lost 50 lbs, and honestly before that I didn't know how to do it. I was never raised with a healthy diet or proper exercise routine.

Knowing and doing is the difference. I think the fact I am back on here at least reaching out again is a helpful sign. This is where I was last year, reaching out on MFP, when it all finally clicked for me.

are you talking to a therapist? If not, start there. You made a great first step, which was to figure out what is the problem, but you need help to solve it once and for all. Depression is not an easy thing to handle alone.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the fold, OP. Congrats on losing 50 pounds. That's a super accomplishment. Gaining 20 back isn't a happy thing, but then what's the alternative? Keep going and gain back the other 30? Of course not.

I'd suggest to not weigh yourself every day. It can be so defeating to go three days in a row with no change. Or worse yet, an uptick. Talk about a bad way to start the day. Twice a week is a good substitute if you're coming off daily weighing.

Second, make yourself a challenge to see if you can stay out of fast food drive-thru's and restaurants for a week. If you feel bad for binge-ing on McDonald's and Chinese Buffet, it's time to cross them off. Equate fast food and buffets with failure. If you pull in their parking lots, you lose. Say no to eating out for one week. If you make your goal, reward yourself with something that isn't food. Then try it again, this time for 2 weeks. If you're eating well at home, you won't need buffets and fast food. Keep protein bars handy when you are away from home but need some quick nutrition.

Finally, here's something I discovered recently. I did some power walking in my apartment (I know, it's weird but I don't have a treadmill at home and it was rainy) and I carried two 8 pound weights and did some curls and different exercises with them while walking. Then I put them down and walked without them for 10 more minutes. It was like a breath of fresh air dropping those dumbbells! If you have 10 pound weights, try it and when you put them down, you'll see why losing that 20 pounds is so important and worth doing. Best wishes!