For the ladies : How do you control cravings during "the curse"

Options
I have been keeping on track for the most part, in terms of my food and exercise goals, although I still have some way to go.

However, as soon as its that time...all hell breaks loose. Today I found myself in front of Tim Hortons and got a toasted coconut donut :o . Of course it did not stop there, and as soon as I got home from work, I started looking around for sugary things to eat!

I find it hard to workout around this time as well due to the cramps and just that icky feeling. Normally I would do step class today, but the idea of jumping around and doing tons of lunges...not appealing..

For those that get these cravings, how do you manage it? What works for you and do you tame down your workout?

Replies

• Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I allow for treats in my cals for the day.I also sip flavored coffee with milk and it seems to curb my cravings.
    I go for long walks instead of jogging or a jumping type aerobic dvd.
  • ballerinabun
    ballerinabun Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like hot tea with a little sugar. Usually around that time, I find myself craving sweets, so sipping on something hot, fruity, and lightly sweet is heaven for me. It kills my cravings pretty well and takes a while to get through. Speaking of tea, an unsweetened passionfruit iced tea at starbucks is a cold alternative that also tastes delicious and curbs cravings.

Another thing I like is dark chocolate. And not regular dark but super, 70%+ cacao dark. It's a very rich flavor that's still sweet and like the tea and if you take your time to savor it, lasts a while.

If I'm in the mood for say ice cream or froyo, I'll eat plain, unsweetened yogurt. Totally my jam. On that note, if you really want a treat that'll curve sweets cravings, make a bowl of oatmeal, put a spoon or two of plain yogurt in, and then top with fresh berries and cinnamon. It's heaven in a bowl.

If worst comes to worst and I find myself about to dive into my boyfriend's Ben & Jerry's, I make myself eat a few pickle slices. Kills my sweets cravings immediately. Sounds weird, I'm sure, but something about the sourness of the pickles just turns me off from eating sweets after that.
  • tc3194
    tc3194 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tea has definitely helped. Especially the stuff from David's tea!
  • annamicacalcino
    annamicacalcino Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm new on here so I don't know if posting on here would be the right thing to do. I wanted to ask people for advice on what I can do to stop eating so much - it seems as though whenever I'm bored I just start eating. I've just turned 19 a few days ago, female if that makes a difference.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want. Your body is using more calories to fuel uterus activity (I think 200ish, something like that?). That time is miserable enough that I'm not about to make it worse. It's only a couple of days, anyway.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new on here so I don't know if posting on here would be the right thing to do. I wanted to ask people for advice on what I can do to stop eating so much - it seems as though whenever I'm bored I just start eating. I've just turned 19 a few days ago, female if that makes a difference.

Hey :) I think you'll have more of a response if you start your own topic :)
  • Skycandy86
    Skycandy86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know I can't control cravings but I can control my behavior. When a craving arises I feel it and then move on. You don't have to give into cravings. They will go away in a few minutes of you just sit with them.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't give in to sugar at ALL, because it will only snowball and make me want more and more. Instead I counteract it by eating sour and spicy. Like pickles and hot pickled peppers. If there is still an issue I eat something with fat like almond butter.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't. I make room. I don't get ridiculous because it's not worth it to me. But eat a whole chocolate bar? Sure. Have a 400 calorie pint of frozen yogurt the next night? Yeah, why not.
  • CharmaineDelzer
    CharmaineDelzer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im using the appetite suppressant phentermine, and ive lost ten pounds in two weeks!, I feel no hunger all day!, and still have plenty of energy, ( though it is pulling from my existing adipose tissue- I am 5' 06" and 190#), this could be an option for you.... I was set up with phentermine through a weight loss clinic, and have regular visits with a doctor, a nutritionist and a dietitian to monitor my progress and my reaction to the medication as well. Check it out if interested.
    Im very pleased, as I was jogging 2.2 miles up and down hills cross country to no avail, 1.5 times biweekly to no avail, except killing my knees, ankles, and arches. So until I can nix my weight to a manageable excercise weight ( 140-175#), phentermine is effectively tricking my body into burning my existing adipocytes. look into it, and see if its for you.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    This month was the first month I really went cray-cray. Mini Dark Chocolate Milky Ways are only 35cals per piece! I usually am content with fitting 2-3 in throughout my day.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There is a chart that I've seen that explains what your craving mean, like what vitamin you are missing. I know that if you're craving chocolate, you need magnesium. Here is a pinterest link for it. https://www.pinterest.com/explore/food-craving-chart/
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    The same as every other day... I dunno I don't get the hype.
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm odd, but I don't get cravings. It's a good thing I don't because my last one lasted 19 days (saw the doctor about it and had blood work done). If I do find myself wanting something 'naughty,' I just look to see if it can fit into my day. I also look for lower calorie versions of old favorites. I wanted chocolate today, so I had no sugar chocolate pudding made with 2% milk and a tablespoon of light whipped cream. It fit right into my calories and macros - plus was very delicious.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Take walks. Learn Yoga or Tai Chi. Do deep breathing techniques.
    It's not a curse -> Change your thinking.
  • auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's human nature, but I can't stand 'my monthly visitor' MISERY!! Well the first day or two are my 'REDRUM days' and the craving I get for CHOCOLATE - anything CHOCOLATE is huge!! :s I normally just gobble down a couple of pieces of dark chocolate just to keep myself sane and have so far managed to fight the urge to stuff my face with a truck load full of Ferrero Rochers. It is a mind game but it will pass! :smiley:
  • Babykeys32
    Babykeys32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't control them! If i really really crave something that badly, i eat it. Mostly, i'm a good girl for the rest of the month so eating what i want/need during that time isn't such a big deal. Although, i try not to let myself to go too out of control...like if i crave cake, i eat some cake...but i don't go and eat nothing but cake all friggin day!

My usual cravings are milk chocolate, donuts and pasta....why oh why cant i just crave carrots?? :D xxxx
  • TsaiHo
    TsaiHo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cook instead of buying premade stuff. It's really easy to just keep reaching for snacks, but once I limit myself to 90% of the time making my own meals and snacks, I slow down. I think it's being around fresh food and just inhaling the scents that satisfies the cravings, lol.
    And most importantly, I find that drinking water helps. I know it's been said time and time again, but if you've had regular meals, and drink enough water, it should shut off some of those hunger signals.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I just eat what I want. Your body is using more calories to fuel uterus activity (I think 200ish, something like that?). That time is miserable enough that I'm not about to make it worse. It's only a couple of days, anyway.
    A couple of days? Shheeeshh! How lucky you are! LOL! Mine lasts a whole week, and OP, I'm just plumb miserable during this time. Knowing that I can eat my treats, as long as I stay in my calorie range, is the only thing that keeps me sane.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    The same as every other day... I dunno I don't get the hype.

This here for me too...