Work chest without working back/shoulder?

Options
I want to build my chest muscles(and tone arms) but do NOT want to work the back of mu shoulders too much. I spent many years busing tables and built up the back of my shoulder so much it made me hunch. Years later I still have back problems because of it.

I was told that if I build my chest it will help balance me out.

Any ideas?

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Chest flys on a bench will isolate your chest (vs chest press which uses shoulders and triceps secondarily).

If it's just the back of your shoulders that are over developed, wouldn't it make sense to also work the rest of your shoulders? If you were told by a professional, by all means follow their advice. Just wondering. :-)
  • magneticreikipaul
    magneticreikipaul Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    go look at elliott hulse's videos on you tube
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I guess it would be my trapezius muscle that's the problem. It is also where I hold all my tension.
    I have had a few people tell me the same thing from people who live to workout to massage therapists.

I'll try chest flys but I don't have access to a bench so I'll have to figure something out
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You can do flys on the floor. Using the bench just adds the deficit, making it a harder movement.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    If you're hunching it's a posture issue. You SHOULD be working your rear delts and mid back to "pull" your shoulders up and back so you quit hunching.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ll second what ninerbuff said, you didn’t “build back and shoulders” bussing tables. You developed poor movement patterns that lead to bad biomechanics. You need a balanced program to balance your body. A full upper body program, paired with a good mobility and stretching program will have you looking and feeling much better.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Agree with the last two posts.

If one group is overworked it will cause a postural inbalance. Opposing groups should be worked together for symmetry...ie. bench press and bar/bell rows.....or working biceps and triceps.