Is it okay to eat back exercise calories?

Options
I've read on the forums that you shouldn't eat back calories you "lose" in exercise. Is this true? I find if I don't eat some of them back, I end up feeling really hungry.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're following MFP's calorie goal for you (meaning you did the guided setup to get a calorie goal), then, yes, you should eat back your exercise calories.

Most folks here recommend you eat back a portion - say 25%-50% - and see how things go with your weight loss for 4-6 weeks. If you find you're losing too much, you can eat more calories back; losing too quickly, eat fewer.

~Lyssa
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What macgurl said. If its the default MFP method then you are expected to eat calories back, but people tend to eat a % only because MFP has been known to be overgenerous when calculating burns. Be careful your hunger isnt to do with your target being overly aggressive as its common for people then to binge or quit becayse they are making it harder for themselves than it needs to be.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. MFP works with you as an individual. Some will say YES eat them, some will say NO that defeats the purpose.

Personally I tried eating them because I was starving, but then couldn't seem to lose weight. So I raised my daily count by a few hundred and then never eat back exercise. Works for me (lost almost 20 pounds so far). Experiment and find what works for you.
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If you're following MFP's calorie goal for you (meaning you did the guided setup to get a calorie goal), then, yes, you should eat back your exercise calories.

Most folks here recommend you eat back a portion - say 25%-50% - and see how things go with your weight loss for 4-6 weeks. If you find you're losing too much, you can eat more calories back; losing too quickly, eat fewer.

~Lyssa

Agreed! When I was heavier and had a higher daily calorie allotment, I generally didn't eat back my exercise calories because I was satisfied with my meals. But when I lost weight and my daily allotment dropped to 1200, I found that when I ate at that level, I often felt hungry, got very cranky, and my energy level dropped. So I started eating back around 50% of my exercise calories. I've only been doing it for about two or three weeks, but so far, my weight loss has been consistent. Try experimenting like Lyssa said and see what works for you. Best of luck!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i doubt you read that on *these* forums.

But because of the overestimation and largely guess work of calories burned anyways, most people only eat back a percentage - maybe half or so of those burned.

when i was eating 1200 cals/ day - i ate them all back cause i was a mean hungry wretch. i changed my goals and now am at 1500 and sometimes eat them back and sometimes dont, just depends on how hungry i am or if (like today) i want pie. LOL!
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For a while I was eating 1200 calories no matter what. I lost weight nicely but as my workouts got harder and longer it suddenly it made sense for me to move my goal to 1400. Everyday I get 10k steps and on top of that 5 or 6 times a week I do 60 to 90 minutes of a cardio workout. I am more satisfied physically and I am still losing weight. It's nice to have 6oz of chicken rather than 4oz. And a 4oz turkey burger is actually way more satisfying than 3 oz! Based on my own experience it is okay to add back "some" of the calories. However, on the days where I only get my 10k steps in without my cardio workout I will stay at 1200. This is what works for me. It may take a bit of time and experimenting to figure out what you body wants from you. I would like to say though if you are still hungry try using your exercise calories up with protein. Best of luck with your weight loss!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat them, but remember that there are inaccuracies in calorie counts.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP 2 months and I find eating back 50% of exercise calories works for me.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat back at least 50% of my exercise calories, sometimes more. I love the saying that someone uses on here that "the winner gets to eat the most and still lose" that is totally how my mind works :)