HELP PLEASE!

Options
MiNiMoNkI
MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
can someone please help me out, im off shopping tonight and im sick of buying/eating the same foods day in day out...any ideas for meals, preferrably quick and easy and vegetarian? would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Replies

• Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    how about Spaghetti squash with garlic and EVOO
    a big tray of roasted veggies with onions, garlic, EVOO and balsamic
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole

Ok, this is one of my absolute favourites. It has a great balance of protein to carbs, and is low in fat and - even better - low in calories. I should add that I lost weight through a combination of educating myself about nutrition and the phenomenon of calorie counting. The way our body works is far too complicated to ignorantly assume that even accurate calorie counting is a sure-fire method of ensuring that we lose weight, but it is a fantastic guideline to ensure you are eating at a defecit.

I found this recipe on CC and it sounded crazy! Butternut squash, garlic and cranberries!? But I was curious so I had to try it. Sure enough, with a little tweaking, it was a taste-bud sensation!

Serves: 6
    500g Butternut Squash
    1 1/2 cups green lentils
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 cloves garlic
    3g thyme
    400g tomatoes, tinned
    100g dried cranberries
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 chicken stock cube
    400 ml water

Boil the lentils in the chicken stock cube and water for 1 hour.
    Roast the squash in chunks in the oven for 30 mins.
    Warm the oil and add finely chopped garlic and coarsley chopped onion.
    Add the squash and any fluids which may have come off during roasting.
    Drain the lentils, reserving the stock and adding it to the pan.
    When the squash begings to break up a little, add the lentils and tin of tomatoes.
    Simmer for 20 mins then add cinnamon,nutmeg, thyme & cranberries.
    Mix well and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the squash has almost completely broken down and the sauce has thickened.

227 calories per serving, 0.2g F, 0.0g SF, 44.2g C, 6.9g S, 10.1g Fb, 11.9g P

This freezes well and refridgerates for up to 3 days. I know the combination of flavours sounds crazy, I was skeptical too, but it really tastes delicious! I eat it on its own, its quite a large portion. Would perhaps go well with a small green salad, and maybe some bulgur wheat or brown rice if you fancy some starchy carbs/grains.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options

Sounds good to me, but what is evoo? cheers haha
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P

Ok, this is one of my absolute favourites. It has a great balance of protein to carbs, and is low in fat and - even better - low in calories. I should add that I lost weight through a combination of educating myself about nutrition and the phenomenon of calorie counting. The way our body works is far too complicated to ignorantly assume that even accurate calorie counting is a sure-fire method of ensuring that we lose weight, but it is a fantastic guideline to ensure you are eating at a defecit.

I found this recipe on CC and it sounded crazy! Butternut squash, garlic and cranberries!? But I was curious so I had to try it. Sure enough, with a little tweaking, it was a taste-bud sensation!

Serves: 6
    500g Butternut Squash
    1 1/2 cups green lentils
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 cloves garlic
    3g thyme
    400g tomatoes, tinned
    100g dried cranberries
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 chicken stock cube
    400 ml water

Boil the lentils in the chicken stock cube and water for 1 hour.
    Roast the squash in chunks in the oven for 30 mins.
    Warm the oil and add finely chopped garlic and coarsley chopped onion.
    Add the squash and any fluids which may have come off during roasting.
    Drain the lentils, reserving the stock and adding it to the pan.
    When the squash begings to break up a little, add the lentils and tin of tomatoes.
    Simmer for 20 mins then add cinnamon,nutmeg, thyme & cranberries.
    Mix well and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the squash has almost completely broken down and the sauce has thickened.

227 calories per serving, 0.2g F, 0.0g SF, 44.2g C, 6.9g S, 10.1g Fb, 11.9g P

This freezes well and refridgerates for up to 3 days. I know the combination of flavours sounds crazy, I was skeptical too, but it really tastes delicious! I eat it on its own, its quite a large portion. Would perhaps go well with a small green salad, and maybe some bulgur wheat or brown rice if you fancy some starchy carbs/grains.

Wow they sound amazing, could i cook in a slow cooker? many thanks
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options

Sounds good to me, but what is evoo? cheers haha

its Extra Virgin Olive Oil.....EVOO
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I really must shop tomorrow. How about, salads consisting of lettuce, rocket, tomato, cucumber, raw broccilli, raw cauliflower, corn, carrotts, cottage cheese, hommus and sunflower seeds. Big Mushrooms, stuffed with cottage cheese and fresh herbs of your choice, and Bake for about 40mins, serve with salad or steam veg. Make a vegeatable curry and dahl serve with brown rice. Eggplant lasagne, Make a big pot of vegetable soup and freeze in meal size portions, always great to grab when stuck for an idea, have it with a slice of grain toast. Bake a tray of mixed vegetables, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, bake with sprigs of fresh rosemary and maybe serve with Quorn sausages. Mountain Bread with boiled egg, rocket and mustard.
    Great that has helped me organise my shopping list for morning.
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I really like mixed salad (lettuce, pepper, tomato, cucumber) with oil-vinegar and on top of it fried potatos. That's really delicious. Sometimes I also add other vegetables to the salad (mushrooms, corn, olives,...) or even feta.

At the moment i also eat a lot of aspargus with boiled potatos.

Sometimes I just slice fresh vegetables (zucchini, tomato, kohlrabi, cabbage,...) and just fry it in a pan.

I also like to cook cauliflower in different ways.

Hope that helps!
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options
    I really must shop tomorrow. How about, salads consisting of lettuce, rocket, tomato, cucumber, raw broccilli, raw cauliflower, corn, carrotts, cottage cheese, hommus and sunflower seeds. Big Mushrooms, stuffed with cottage cheese and fresh herbs of your choice, and Bake for about 40mins, serve with salad or steam veg. Make a vegeatable curry and dahl serve with brown rice. Eggplant lasagne, Make a big pot of vegetable soup and freeze in meal size portions, always great to grab when stuck for an idea, have it with a slice of grain toast. Bake a tray of mixed vegetables, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, bake with sprigs of fresh rosemary and maybe serve with Quorn sausages. Mountain Bread with boiled egg, rocket and mustard.

Wow som eof those sound amazing, i just seem to get stuck on ideas! youve helped a lot thank you x
  • TearsoftheMushroom
    Options
    I love Hot Bean Pot and its really quick to make and you can just as as much or as little of the ingredients you need.

Tin of tomatoes
    Up to a tin of kidney beans
    Peppers
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    (any veg you have in really)
    Teaspoon of chilli powder

Cook your vegetables for a little bit to soften then add the rest and bring to a simmer and cook to your liking.

Serve with rice for a super low calorie very cheap lunch or tea.
  • Vixxta
    Vixxta Posts: 31
    Options

What's rocket? Also, Quorn sausages? Please help the clueless Yankee. :wink:
  • Tarah40
    Tarah40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the BBC good food website, Www.bbcgoodfood.com, you can also get a free app if you have an iPhone.
    They have loads of easy recipes. They also have different sections such as healthy and vegetarian. All the nutritional values are at the bottom of the recipe.
    Hope this helps x
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options

Rocket is a type of green like lettuce, with a bit of a kick and quorn is basically vegetarian equivilant to meat, like morning star! fake meat.

What's rocket? Also, Quorn sausages? Please help the clueless Yankee. :wink:
  • JosephinaG
    JosephinaG Posts: 6
    Options
    This sounds great, will be trying this V soon!