Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince(ss) and dinner like a beggar

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hmmm, interesting. I suppose for me the question would be - is potentially better results worth the sheer inconvenience, if what I'm doing already is giving me results I'm happy with? I suppose that's the question for any change in diet regimine. For me, any better weight loss would be quite offset by being unhappy having to eat like that. Plus, "better" weight loss would then put me into the "ehrmagerd, ur losing too fast" category...

Yep, this is the key. I don't think average results--none of which are all the high, iirc--in a study outweigh what personally works for people. For example, I do believe that on average people do better eating breakfast (I personally do), but I don't believe that means that every person does better eating breakfast. Eating 6 mini meals may work for some people, but the thought of it depresses me.

I tend to eat 3 similarly-sized meals unless I just have lots of calories left over, but dinner is generally my largest because I tend to be most likely to eat it with others, to go out, to have time to really cook something, to not be having it while rushing around in the morning or at my desk. I also eat dinner really late. I easily lost 2 lbs/week until my body weight was low enough that that wasn't realistic, and always did better than MFP predicted. So no, I don't think changing my lifestyle in a way that would make me less happy is likely to help with weight loss. Can't see how it would.

Yup, this is also how I feel about the "when should I exercise" question. The answer is "When you'll stick to it". Whatever benefits there may be from working out at a certain time of day, I'm sure that they would be outweighed or negated by the downsides of trying to exercise at a time which didn't suit your lifestyle or made you resent having to do it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use to try to eat like that and I ended up binging at night. I now do the opposite and I stay in my calorie goal.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I couldn't do this. I would never want to eat a large meal for breakfast when I've only been up less than an hour. Similarly if I eat dinner at 7pm then I have at least 4 hours before bed so I would never want a small dinner unless I knew I was having a supper a few hours later.
    I do agree a good breakfast sets you up so I tend to have oatmeal and blueberries, lunch tends to be a sandwich or similar and main larger meal always at dinner.
    I guess however it does depend on your job if it is very physical more food would be needed for breakfast and lunch I would think than a sedentary job.
  • skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I liked your font choice! Funny how some people think they can tell you what to do!
  • nadenchris
    nadenchris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is neither pointless or impractical in this sense: Just as eating a big dinner is a lifestyle choice (school and work during the day) Eating a larger breakfast and/or lunch is equally attainable if your lifestyle allows. It is pointless or impractical in this sense: Most people do not have the time to eat this style because of work or school and your goal should be to meet your Macro-nutrient needs and your caloric intake period. How you do it is less important.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for the individual.
  • Crystalp2281
    Crystalp2281 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I force myself to snack as early as possible. I too, can't eat too much too early. BUT, then I have to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism out of kryostasys mode! So I basically snack all day long at work, making sure I"m getting a variety of foods and then a decent size dinner around 6. I eat one more small snack before bed if needed, depending on when I worked out. Echoing most others on here, find what works for you and stick to it!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    disagree 100% …

eat how much you want, as many times as you want, just stay in your calorie goal and hit macros/micros
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That text...

4724097+_8c4e1fd156846cccd84dbad727b8ea20.gif
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I force myself to snack as early as possible. I too, can't eat too much too early. BUT, then I have to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism out of kryostasys mode! So I basically snack all day long at work, making sure I"m getting a variety of foods and then a decent size dinner around 6. I eat one more small snack before bed if needed, depending on when I worked out. Echoing most others on here, find what works for you and stick to it!!!

Do you mean Cryostasis? And if so, how does your metabolism go into a state of being which would require "using clathrate-forming gaseous substances under increased hydrostatic pressure and hypothermic temperatures?"
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Once again, let's add some science to the discussion, instead of relying on opinions & anecdotes.

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose,
    insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to
    high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day
    could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ..."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

I've tried to follow this advice, often have close to half my calories for breakfast, sometimes it's
    closer to 1/3. And yes, there are days I have a much larger lunch or dinner. But most of the time
    most of my calories are for breakfast, a large chunk of what's left is for lunch, and dinner is really
    more of a snack.
    Welp, I better get started gaining back that 155#. Where's the nearest Tim's?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever way suits you best.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    During the week, I'm in the 'big breakfast makes me hungrier all day' camp. I eat light breakfasts and lunches and look forward to a big dinner. On the weekend, I sometimes skip breakfast at breakfast time to instead have a massive brunch-time meal, then a light dinner later. This is what works best for me, keeps me from bingeing and makes me happiest.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this makes no sense….

how does your metabolism go into cryostasis …?
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the important meal of the day. I believe, even if it's based on myth, that it sets the "tone" for the rest of my day. If you eat eggs in butter, you will find yourself feeling fuller much longer - and that will help reduce calorie intake the rest of the day.

I find that when I don't eat eggs or start out my day with a healthy breakfast or if I skip it, I lag considerably for the rest of the day.

If you want a natural way to help limit how much you eat during the day to help in CICO, I would say eating a healthy breakfast is the way to go.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Well I can see the logic of it. If you are active in the day and eat a big meal at breakfast time then you will work off the calories, and eating a small meal in the evening before sleep/ winding down makes sense.

It doesn't really fit with most of our cultural norms and what we are used to though. I normally have a lightish breakfast and lunch and then a hot meal for dinner which will always have the most calories.

I probably prefer it that way because it's what I have always been used to!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much the opposite. Small breakfast (250-350 calories) sometimes no breakfast at all. Lunch in the 350-450 calorie range, then dinner anywhere from 500-900. Any extra calories are for snacks.

Occasionally, we go out for a big brunch type meal and I eat one big meal in place of lunch and breakfast then have a smaller dinner, but I wouldn't want to do that every day.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love the rainbow font!

Agreed - do what works for you. Any possible advantage you gain would be small (though there is research to back the theory up, no certain conclusions can be made), and would mean little if you're forcing yourself to do something that goes against your body's natural inclinations.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the important meal of the day.

What was the name (or "name") of that anti breakfast guy? I kind of want him back, and I love breakfast.
    I believe, even if it's based on myth, that it sets the "tone" for the rest of my day. If you eat eggs in butter, you will find yourself feeling fuller much longer - and that will help reduce calorie intake the rest of the day.

I eat the same whether I eat eggs or not (oatmeal is my usual alternative), so long as I keep the general calories and protein content consistent and don't go too low on fat). I've been experimenting with this. Butter is tasty but has 0 effect on my satiety. Veggies, on the other hand, are important for me.

I often end up eating less if I skip/eat light for breakfast (which is rare), because I do it when I'm busy and have set plans for my other meals that I stick with. If one were eating based on perceived hunger rather than logging or having trouble meeting a calorie goal I can see how it would make a difference, though, IF you are someone who tends to feel hungrier if you don't eat breakfast.

I personally prefer breakfast, but I hate when people generalize about things that are individual.

I recommend experimenting to see what actually works for you, vs. feeling like you need to meet some rule that maybe works on average, but not for everyone.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    If you are active in the day and eat a big meal at breakfast time then you will work off the calories, and eating a small meal in the evening before sleep/ winding down makes sense.

It makes sense if a larger meal affects sleep.

The idea that you don't work off calories unless you are active right after eating them doesn't actually make sense if you think about it. We are always adding and losing fat, so the issue is the overall net balance. If you eat late in the day and aren't active until the next morning (and don't eat much in the morning), you still need to fuel the morning activity. So you are still burning off what you ate (well, you are still fueling your activity and contributing to whatever net energy balance you have, which if you are trying to lose should be CI<CO).