2000 cal a day???

Options
hey I just started and my goal is to lose 100lb I'm at 2lb a week but have been givin 2000cal a day. Is this a mistake or what because I'm finding the each day I'm way under almost by 800-900 or even 1000cal each day.... Am I not eating right?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    The goal is most likely correct. YOu have a lot to lose, so you can afford to eat that many calories.

You didn't get overweight by eating 1000-1200 calories a day, so you can obviously eat more. Have dessert every night, have slightly larger meals, etc.. Yeah, you'll lose faster if you're only eating 1000-1200 calories a day, but you'll be losing a lot of muscle mass along with that weight not just fat. Plus, your body needs fuel to perform its everyday functions, by not eating enough you are keeping those needed calories from your body.
  • azyaria
    azyaria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you aren't tracking accurately? Are you measuring and weighing ALL your food? Factoring in any added oils, milk or sugar for your coffee, any taste-testing, etc?

• nadenchris
    nadenchris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is correct. You need to eat to burn. When you don't eat enough calories your body starves...literally so it retains most of the nutrients in the form of fat to ensure you don't die. To break that cycle, eat the calories listed, play around with the macro-nutrients until you find an optimal breakdown (35% Protein, 30% Carbs, 35% Fat) and drink plenty of water.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ^^^It doesn't even have to be that difficult. Just track your calories if you're trying to lose weight. Get the hang of that first. If MFP tells you that you can have 2,000 calories a day, give it a shot and see what happens. I can assure you that eating 1,000 calories less than that is NOT what you should be doing. That's simply not sustainable in the long run. Good luck
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    nadenchris wrote: »
    Yes, this is correct. You need to eat to burn. When you don't eat enough calories your body starves...literally so it retains most of the nutrients in the form of fat to ensure you don't die. To break that cycle, eat the calories listed, play around with the macro-nutrients until you find an optimal breakdown (35% Protein, 30% Carbs, 35% Fat) and drink plenty of water.
    If you are truly a fitness professional as your profile indicates, you might want to clarify your statement I highlighted in bold - there is quite a bit of inaccuracy in that statement.
  • mszulborska
    mszulborska Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do 80% protein and plenty of water.
    Gym 5 times a week (2h)
    Lose 1-2kg per week.
  • ajfreder
    ajfreder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are not tracking accurately. Are you weighing all food on a food scale...not only just meat and veg, but condiments and semi-solids? If the answer is no. Get a food scale and report back on how many calories your are consuming. If the answer is yes...eat more.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What types of foods are you eating? Are you getting the proper amounts of protein, fiber, fat, carbs., etc? Are you weighing your food? There may be a good chance that you're actually eating more than you think you are. Are you accurately logging? Are you following a particular meal plan?

Answering these questions might help get some insight into what's going on nutrition-wise for you. Since you've gotten to the point where you need to lose 100 pounds, I'm sure you're able to hit a 2000 calorie target.

Also...

What? Could I get some science to go with my breakfast this morning?
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    MFP will give you more calories to eat according to your age and activity level. If you are finding you can't eat the calories you are given try adding a handful of nuts or add an avacado to your salad _ still heathy options but high calorie. Good luck!
  • arditarose
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    What types of foods are you eating? Are you getting the proper amounts of protein, fiber, fat, carbs., etc? Are you weighing your food? There may be a good chance that you're actually eating more than you think you are. Are you accurately logging? Are you following a particular meal plan?

Answering these questions might help get some insight into what's going on nutrition-wise for you. Since you've gotten to the point where you need to lose 100 pounds, I'm sure you're able to hit a 2000 calorie target.

Also...

What? Could I get some science to go with my breakfast this morning?

No science before coffee.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Gym 5 times a week (2h)
    Lose 1-2kg per week.

80% protein?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Gym 5 times a week (2h)
    Lose 1-2kg per week.

80% protein doesn't guarantee weight loss. Also.... 80%?

tumblr_lgw3rgYvLS1qh17feo1_400.gif
  • arditarose
    Options
    MOAR PROTEIN!&(!Y$(*
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    HEIGHT: 5'4"
    SW: 281
    CW: 231
    GW: 125
    Calories: 1,525 per day
    Exercise: four 30 minute work outs per week (avg)
    RATE OF LOSS: 1.8 lbs per week (avg)

If you are putting down good workouts in your GOAL setting page, MFP will allot more calories for fuel to burn. Take an honest inventory of your actual workout frequency and level of intensity and reset your exercise goals. I originally put down 30 minutes a day every day, and I ACTUALLY only do four 30 minute workouts per week on average, some more weeks than others depending.

Also, check your food portions and how you are logging them. I weigh most things for the most accuracy and try not to estimate. I also don't always take the MFP food counts at face value, some of them are just plain wrong. Do your own research.

You will see a pattern over time (and it does take time) how you are loosing and how your actual consumption and activity affects your rate of loss. For example, I am seeing that I loose steady for 2 weeks, don't move much for 2 weeks and then drop 4 or 5 lbs the next week. For me water retention and sodium intake affect my rate of loss on the scale the most. I have learned to not let it bother me because I am still averaging over 1.5 lost per week since I started last Oct 3rd.

Hang in there, be patient and work your program. You can do this! -Nancy