how long did it take you to lose 20 pounds?

Options

Replies

• hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm over fifty, was 173, now 143 since January 20th. So that is 30 in 3 months. I hit 20 at around 7 1/2 weeks. Now though it's coming off slower. I am 5 pounds to 1st goal weight and I am 13 pounds more to final goal weight :smiley:
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, I started at 282 pounds on Jan 4, 2013 and lost 20 pounds by Feb 9, 2013, so about 4 1/2 weeks
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    when mfp gives that statement....read the whole statement..... "you would weight ____________ if every day was like today for 5 weeks" That's everything you logged. Your food, and activity journal. It is an estimate, because none of us do the same thing every day exactly for 5 weeks straight.
  • seantheking87
    seantheking87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 17lbs down and 10 weeks in. My fortnightly weigh in is Thursday which will mark 10 weeks, so just need a 3lb loss.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    At 18 weeks I have lost 25lb. I started 5'3" and 188lb. I have been steadily losing 1-1.5lb a week and I'm not on an aggressive plan (doing 500cal deficit per day aiming for 1lb loss per week). Goal is another 23lb away, may re-evaluate as I get closer as my goal is just to get me to a healthy weight, but my best sustained weight before having children was about 10lb lighter than my current goal.

I just think about where I'll be in a year's time, rather than a week or a month, knowing that I will most likely be lighter and healthier is good encouragement and helps me focus on the long game.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    zmusic wrote: »
    i know everybody's different.
    but I am curious.

20 days.

You lost 20 pounds in 20 days? Did you amputate your legs or something?
  • TannerBoyl
    TannerBoyl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It took me a little under two months to lose 20lbs. It was a tough two months, but it was well worth the struggle!
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got to the 20 pound mark at 50 days on MFP.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is so motivational!.
    Im 5'5 female, 174lbs. Do you think i can lose 20lbs in about 4 months? i eat about 1350 calories and Jog 2/3 times a week for 30 minutes.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It usually depends on how much you have to loose. I lost 20 lbs in three months but only 2 this last month. These last 25 lbs are really taking a long time. You just have to stick with it, be patient, and for goodness sake, maintain once you get there or it won't last. You have to make it a new healthier you kind of habit and try to be a lot more active. Good luck and don't give yourself a time line, just start and keep working on it and don't give up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about 4 months, starting at 163 and 5'4"
  • melanie899
    melanie899 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm hovering at 19 lbs, but it took 8-9 weeks
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It took me about 5 months, but I slacked off a lot during the last two of those months so I was losing far less each week than I had in the three months prior.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    A month, but I was pretty fat.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The first 20lb took about 3 months.. and the next 20 about 6 months... then I had a setback and have only lost about 5lb after that. Depends on how much you weigh to start with. I went roughly from 187-167 (3 months) 167-147 (6 months) I'm circling 140 at the moment. At 5-6 I'm close to my ideal weight,..so It's pretty slow going from here on out.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. The smaller you are and closer to your goal the harder it is and longer to take off so don't get discouraged. I only lost 6 lbs over the past 2 mos and am finally under 140 again:) I don't mind. The slower you take it off at that point, i feel its easier to keep it off. I've went from 150 to 125 before with a lot of hard work and clean eating and i'll do it again, but it didn't happen overnight. Good luck!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    About a day of pushing ;) seriously this answer will wildly vary, it depends on how overweight you started, and what you're doing to lose, and sorry - your gender. The dudes can come out of the gate hot and drop quicker in the beginning.
  • SFDonovan
    SFDonovan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    3.5 months to lose around 19 lbs. I've seen my biggest drops now that I have a HR activity tracker and I can see what my calorie burn actually is instead of going with these default values loaded here. The best thing about these activity trackers is they get you motivated. They may not always be highly accurate, but they do get me off the couch.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!