For how long will I lose 2lbs per week

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been losing 2lbs per week for the last 9 weeks. I know that my weight loss will slow down eventually but I'm wondering for how much longer I can "count on it" staying like this? What is your experience?

At the moment I have a daily 1000 calorie deficit
SW: 198
CW:178

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    For as long as you eat at a 1000 calorie a day deficit.

My experience was that I lost 2+ pounds a week for a year, until I cut my deficit.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How much do you have to lose?
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How much do you have to lose?

I am 5,4", so I still have quite a lot to lose. 30-40 lbs.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The rate at which you will lose will AND SHOULD slow down as you near goal weight. Also, because you are tinier, you may want to start adjusting your expectations to losing a bit slower and focusing on adjusting eating habits so that you have a sustainable lifestyle for when you finally hit goal weight.

The goal shouldn't be to hit goal weight, but more so, adjust life downwards so that once you get there, you're taking in just the right amount of calories to maintain.

Think of getting to your goal weight as easing to a stop, instead of slamming on the breaks. It's a lot easier on the body, and WAY easier on your mind.

Yes, it may take longer, but it will also help with sustainability over the long run.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your calorie needs will change as you lose and you'll probably slow down to 1.5 pounds, to compensate (You still lose and get to eat the same amount).
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, CW is 175lbs, and I'm losing 1lb per week. I started 14 months ago at 268lbs and lost 2lbs per week for about 8 months, then slowed down to 1.5, and now 1. I plan on lowering it to .5 per week when I get closer to my goal.

2lbs per week is very aggressive unless you have over 75+lbs to lose. Healthy, sustainable weight loss is the goal.

Losing 20lbs in 9 weeks is great progress but you will find that it is very hard to sustain. The smaller you get, the less calories your body needs and therefore the smaller your deficit will be. Since we are so similar in stats I would say you should think about lowering your loss rate now since you are within 40lbs of your goal.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" and only 30-40lbs overweight, you really should not be eating at an 1000-calorie daily deficit. That's an enormous deficit for you, and could cause you some health problems and nutritional deficiencies if you keep it up for too long -- not to mention making you feel hungry and tired all the time.

At this point I'd highly recommend dropping your goal to 1lb/week and aiming for a 500-calorie deficit. You may find you have to tighten up on your logging at first, since a smaller deficit means less room for error. But in the long run you'll be much happier for having taken it a bit slower.
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    At 5'4" and only 30-40lbs overweight, you really should not be eating at an 1000-calorie daily deficit. That's an enormous deficit for you, and could cause you some health problems and nutritional deficiencies if you keep it up for too long -- not to mention making you feel hungry and tired all the time.

At this point I'd highly recommend dropping your goal to 1lb/week and aiming for a 500-calorie deficit. You may find you have to tighten up on your logging at first, since a smaller deficit means less room for error. But in the long run you'll be much happier for having taken it a bit slower.

Thanks! But what if I'm never hungry and feeling more energized than ever?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry and you still have the energy to do what you need to do, you might as well stick with what's working.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »

At some point you should likely switch your calorie goals. But as long as you feel okay I imagine it's fine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »

based on your goal of 1280 you are saying your maintenance is 2280? hmmmm mine without cardio is 2k and I am taller and weigh 150...

something is off with that...but regardless

I see days you are netting 400 calories...based on exercise and calories consumed, other days you net just over 1200...

not being hungry is one thing but if you under nourish your body and underfeed it there is a hormone that switches on that stops feelings of hunger (this is to prevent issues during lean times).

How long have you been at this deficit? AS well I see you logged 9.6oz of meat and cheese lasagna @ 324 calories...and it starts with homemade..did you make it cause that's a bit hinky

as well 1lb a week is aggressive enough with 30-40lbs to lose
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and currently weight 153. Started at 188 lb and lost about 1 pound a week. Now losing 1/2 pound a week with a 500 calorie average daily deficit. As you weigh less, your body becomes more efficient and you don't need as many calories nor will you burn as many calories for the same period and intensity of exercise.

I'd agree with @segacs and eventually trim your expectations and calorie deficit to 500. You want to be able to maintain this lifestyle for the rest of your years.

IMHO, you're on a weight loss high right now. Losing 2 pounds a week is rockin' the scale for sure. But just because you are 'never' hungry and feeling full of energy, doesn't mean that you should keep going at this pace.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry and you still have the energy to do what you need to do, you might as well stick with what's working.

Agree... Though if you start feeling sluggish, reevaluate!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How much you burn in day is based on age/height/weight/gender but also how active you are & how much you exercise. I'm 5'5.5" & 125ish and generally burn 1800-1900 per day. But yesterday almost 2300. Very active day, with about 45 minutes cardio and alot of day time spent on my feet.