TOO MUCH OF A GOOD/BAD THING?

Options
before I really started this weight loss journey I was ADDICTED to maple & brown sugar oatmeal and I could eat a whole box a day if I wanted to. But I read somewhere that it isn't good to eat a lot. But then I ready somewhere else that it is really healthy to eat everyday!! UGH Am I the only one with a somewhat "good/bad" addiction?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Actually, as long as it fits into your total calories for the day it's fine. Calories in/Calories out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You read somewhere it wasn't good to eat a lot of oatmeal? Why?

If you read about weight loss, you will read contrary opinions on virtually everything. The best strategy is to learn to figure out the rationale behind the claims that are being made so you can evaluate those instead of jumping back and forth between "good" and "bad" things.

I have no idea how big an entire box of oatmeal is, but it sounds like it would be difficult to meet your goals if you were eating an entire box. Or maybe it isn't.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mine is sharp cheddar and peanut butter (chunky). I avoided it much in the first couple of months, because an actual 2 Tbs of Pb or 1 ounce of cheese seemed like nothing. Now after two months I started adding it and am very satisfied with that amount. I could easily eat my total days calories in cheddar and peanut butter before :lol: So, your not the only one :smiley:
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I used to love that when I was a kid! Although not sure I could eat a whole box of it, you should likely try to eat a balance of various kinds of foods so you can meet your goals.
  • allyxnatara11
    allyxnatara11 Posts: 74 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    im not actually eating a WHOLE box lol, I just meant i could if I wanted to. And I completely slowed down in the last month I think ive had a packet or two in total not a day anymore lol
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    A pack or two a day sounds perfectly fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating a whole box of oatmeal is that you are probably not going to be all that full for the number of calories (although that may depend on you) and that you aren't going to be getting adequate protein and fat, probably, as it sounds like it's basically all carbs. And if it's pre-sweetened oatmeal it also may have a ton of sugar (and be kind of high calorie for how filling it is) and less fiber than some other kinds of oatmeal.

One thing that's useful about MFP is that you can log and better understand what you eat.

A great many foods are really good for us as part of an overall balanced diet but not great if eaten in excess, however.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Actually, as long as it fits into your total calories for the day it's fine. Calories in/Calories out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

that might be true for total weight gain/loss but not for health

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    That's my favorite flavor of oatmeal. Buy the high fiber kind-it has 10 grams of fiber per serving-and I bet you will find it fills you up to the point you won't want to eat more than one bowl. I also sometimes add a tbsp or two of peanut butter to make it extra yummy and satisfying
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with oatmeal. Stay within your allotment and you'll even lose weight.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had maple and brown sugar oatmeal for breakfast this morning! Added a little butter and milk too...mmmm :yum: