Vegetarian life helps lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I once stayed at the home of a vegan. For breakfast she had whole wheat pancakes, with maple syrup, orange juice. Lunch was vegetarian lasagna, dinner was a veggie sandwich loaded with avocado. The fats and carbs that day way exceeded my norm, and I was low on protein.
    I am not sure I could lose weight on a diet like that. And I felt bloated. I craved my light breakfast of greek yogurt, lunch of salmon salad, and steak with soybeans for dinner.

That was an individual vegan's choices on a single day. Not all vegans eat that way.

There are many days that I have a light breakfast, a salad for lunch, and some protein and vegetables for dinner.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In for vegetarian bodybuilders.
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight whether you're vegetarian, vegan or raw vegan! If you don't have a calorie deficit you can't lose weight.
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    Why would a vegetarian be swimming upstream when it comes to maintaining lean body mass?

Because it is difficult to get enough bioavailable protein from plant sources alone. I didn't say impossible--just difficult. Also, vegetarian diets are not exactly good for testosterone production. Personally, I've never seen a vegetarian get the kind of results I've gotten in the last 18 months with my quasi-routine.
    [/quote]

That's nonsense! There are many professional athletes who are vegan. Even natural bodybuilders. You can't gain if you don't push yourself, whether you're vegetarian or not