Getting discouraged

Options
fketteland
fketteland Posts: 19 Member
I have been working and eating better for about 9 weeks.. I have only been using my fitness pal for about 26 days now and I like it a lot but I'm starting to get discouraged... I'm not losing as much weight as I though I would... How do you keep going when you get to this point???

Replies

• DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and track your measurements! Only weigh yourself once every week or 2. Take a photo every week too!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    how much are u actually losing? and what was your expected or hoped for weight loss?
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. The more you exercise and the less you eat = the more you will lose. If you want to lose weight bad enough you will. This is more of a life decision than phase. If you are coming here for a quick fix then you will probably be on a see saw with your weight.

One of the things I have learned to do is not to eat food to feel good. I try to see and eat food because its fuel and I need to. Not because I like it and want to.

It's been working for me...

Good luck! I hope you stick it out...
    Mark
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Check your salt intake. That can screw you up. Otherwise, stick to the plan. The tape measure is a good idea. Depending on your body, that can change without weight loss. I'm also interested in your expectations. But if all else fails, try to see a dietician if you are able to help develop a plan. If not, look around online to make sure you have realistic goals and a diet that matches those goals. WebMD is a great resource when you're just starting out.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Losing weight takes a lot of patience.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Every single decision you make takes you closer to the goal, makes you stand still, or sends you backwards.

The commitment is to yourself, your health, your life, your body. I weigh myself every day because it helps me to keep focused on the TREND of downward...even when it goes up for a few days, the overall trend is DOWN. You MUST set realistic goals. If you think you're going to lose 2-3 pounds a week, you have to know that it's not a loss that will continue each and every week. Weight loss is not linear. Some days, weeks, it doesn't look like anything is happening on the scale. So the scale simply cannot be the only way you measure success. Take measurements, log consistently, log everything, weigh everything, and be patient. It took a little while for my body to recognize the calorie deficit, the exercise, and to know how to work efficiently.

Don't quit!!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking body measurements and photos to track progress- the scale is a very finicky thing. Muscle weighs more than fat, water retention due to sodium intake/dehydration, timing of when you are weighing yourself (generally recommended to be the same time of day, I do it in the mornings before breakfast on Thursdays :) ...but I want to echo don't give up, find some non-scale victory (NSV) goals to start out with. Like a fitness goal. And be sure you weigh and properly log food as much as possible. Good luck :)
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Track all you BLTs. Bites, Licks, Tastes!
    When I'm not seeing results I really have to buckle down.
    Measure and weigh everything, don't eyeball anything. (especially when you're not getting results)
    Drink more water. Cut out all soda. (again, only because you're not seeing results)
    I have about the same amount to lose, if you want to be friends, send me a request!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    To clear something up...muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 16 ounces of fat = 16 ounces of muscle, because 1 pound of anything weighs the same as 1 pound of everything! Muscle is more dense. It takes up less space. You will look smaller, wear smaller sizes, feel better.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    But you ARE losing weight -- congrats! Weight loss takes time, but by taking it slow, you establish healthier habits (smaller portions, cutting back on junk food, exercising on a regular basis) and those habits will help you keep the weight off. Be proud of what you've accomplished, and keep at it!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It's 28 days out of how many days, weeks, years that got you to where you are? If it's like me, it's years. In 28 days I bet you've made leaps of changes that are going to impact you for the rest of your life, and you can keep following that change and make yourself a better person.
    I've been there after a month staring in the mirror wondering why, and I was discouraged too. The most important thing is not to give up, and keep going. Every day is the opportunity to take a step in a new direction.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You say you've been eating better, but are you in a calorie deficit?

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories. Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the stickies at the top of the various forums such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, in the beginning of a weight loss journey, we have unrealistic expectations for how quickly we should be losing the weight. Usually, it's never as fast as we might like it to be, because we've finally gotten the bee in our bonnets to get rid of the weight, only it seems like it's taking forever and it can be discouraging.

However, try to think of it in another way.

Before you began, you were probably on a steady trajectory of weight gain.

If you are losing anything at all right now, you are ahead of the game. Number one: You've halted the weight gain that you were experiencing previously. Number two: You not only are not gaining, but you are losing. Losing something, anything, is better than gaining.

If you post your current weight, height, age and activity levels, then some of the others can chime in with assistance in setting a realistic expectation for how much you can safely, healthfully lose on a weekly basis, based on your current statistics.

• fketteland
    fketteland Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the words of encouragement....
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    To clear something up...muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 16 ounces of fat = 16 ounces of muscle, because 1 pound of anything weighs the same as 1 pound of everything! Muscle is more dense. It takes up less space. You will look smaller, wear smaller sizes, feel better.

True. However a pound of one thing does not necessarily take up the same volume as a pound of another. For instance. A Cup of feathers does not weigh the same as a cup of lead...A pound of steak does not look like a pound of butter. The point is that one may notice a reduction in their actual volume (inches) when their weight has not changed or has even gone up. Muscle does weigh more than fat by volume.

OP how much did you start out having to loose? How much have you lost? Over what period of time?

We all want to loose out weight really fast, like by next week. But the reality is, it takes longer to get rid of it than it did to gain it. And a lot more effort. Be glad the numbers are at least going in the right direction. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You said you're eating better. Are you eating at a deficit?
  • PeachesandCream2015
    PeachesandCream2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For 21 days I've change my eating habit and started exercising for 30 min a day so far I lost 6lbs and 6 inches. I wanted to have at least 15lbs off but than I realized that was not healthy I want the weight to stay off. So stay encourage and remember that 1lb is better than no pounds. Congrats on the weight you have lost so far :) keep on keeping on B)