Weightlifting Hunger?

Options
I've been doing cardio for a few months and have very recently started weightlifting after my usual cardio. What would happen after I did cardio was I would log an incorrect amount of time to get a calorie burn on MFP matching what the treadmill said I burned. I would add those calories, but only allow myself to eat up to my goal (I try to keep stay about 200 under, which is pretty easy for me with a goal of 1530). This wouldn't be a huge issue since my appetite didn't change much, but would occasionally eat up to around 1500.
Now that I'm doing strength (various bodyweight exercises, sometimes with weights or medicine balls, also a trip or two around all the machines with about 3 reps of 10 on each with the lowest weight setting), my calorie burn isn't increasing, but my appetite is.
I have not been this hungry in so long.
I know to build muscle, I need to eat more than I burn, but bulking isn't my goal, weight loss is. I just know that combining cardio and strength yields the best results of fat loss and a little muscle build. I'm not opposed to building muscle, but my primary goal is fat loss and a little bit of muscle definition would be nice.
I'm also having a difficult time mentally allowing myself to eat to my goal, since it's been my philosophy to have a substantial deficit and has been working well so far.
I'm not sure if this is in the right category, but muscly people, please help.
Thanks!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    I lift, I get hungry. Perfectly normal response. Try increasing protein; it satisfies the muscle cravings and helps keep you feeling full for longer. By backing off on carbs you don't have to increase overall calories to get this effect.

You're a woman, unless you TRY ON PURPOSE to build muscle you generally won't. (Occasional genetics aside.) You will be simply improving the muscle you do have with a casual lifting program.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Seconding the recommendation to eat protein. I generally eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories, and it's always closer to 75% on days that I lift. I focus on getting in a good amount of protein, and along with intermittent fasting, it really helps control my appetite.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell from your OP whether you were eating back your cardio exercise. It sounds like not. Eat them back. Problem solved.

I could eat a house the day after I deadlift. I carry around snacks in my purse and eat every three hours. I feel you.

How much protein have you been getting?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It's always the day after lifting that I get hungry, too. Repair takes fuel :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    It's always the day after lifting that I get hungry, too. Repair takes fuel :)

Me too... It's so annoying... I always have to keep myself super busy the next day.
  • ThisOrderedLife
    ThisOrderedLife Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you have left over calories try adding a smoothie with casein protein powder at night... it is a slow release to help build back up and may help the hunger the next day
  • LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I couldn't tell from your OP whether you were eating back your cardio exercise. It sounds like not. Eat them back. Problem solved.

I could eat a house the day after I deadlift. I carry around snacks in my purse and eat every three hours. I feel you.

How much protein have you been getting?

I eat above my regular intake on cardio days, but below my goal. I have a hard time allowing myself to eat more sense my goal is to lose weight. I have my macros set at 45 carbs 35 fat and 20 protein, so I need around 80g in a day which isn't really a problem. My hunger is what's Freaking me out!
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings so this always happens to me. My solution was a whey shake as soon as I can after I get out of the gym or even in the locker room depending on the day. Tends to take the edge off and breakfast/snack/elevensies tends to fill in after that.