Take a peek at my food!

Options
Can you guys take a peek at my food and let me know what you think? Please?

I am working on dropping weight slowly, maybe a pound a week and at least keeping my strength if not improving upon it. My food is usually the same during the week, with kids, work, and working out, it just makes things easier for me. On the weekends is usually when I may change it up here or there, add in, take out, have a sweet treat, etc.

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your diary looks pretty good. My personal preference would be to add more colorful vegetables (perhaps in place of some of the potatoes), but you seem to be losing well and coming within reasonable macro margins. Good job, keep it up!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    Not sure what concerns you have re your food as you seem to be losing and your menu seems reasonably balanced.

I've decided to value quantity over "decadent taste", so I personally use less butter and oil than you do and even resort to cooking spray. This is something I will have to watch in the future if i don't move on to reducing quantities in the future.

In the same category of trade offs, I use more "veggies" compared to calorically more dense "starches". Broccoli and carrots vs potato, for example.

But again, if these work for you, and you're not super hungry, and you're losing.... ???
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you're losing, it's working. Personally, I like a LOT of diversity, but only so I don't get bored!
  • tonyalynn26
    tonyalynn26 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Honestly, your diary looks pretty good. My personal preference would be to add more colorful vegetables (perhaps in place of some of the potatoes), but you seem to be losing well and coming within reasonable macro margins. Good job, keep it up!

Not big on veggies, that is the reasoning behind a smoothie with broccoli and sweet potates!! But I am working on it. I am changing dinner up this week to a salad instead of more quinoa.
  • tonyalynn26
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Not sure what concerns you have re your food as you seem to be losing and your menu seems reasonably balanced.

I've decided to value quantity over "decadent taste", so I personally use less butter and oil than you do and even resort to cooking spray. This is something I will have to watch in the future if i don't move on to reducing quantities in the future.

In the same category of trade offs, I use more "veggies" compared to calorically more dense "starches". Broccoli and carrots vs potato, for example.

But again, if these work for you, and you're not super hungry, and you're losing.... ???

The starches were to help increase my calorie intake, because I was barely hitting 1000cals right before I really started logging on here again! And also not very big on veggies, so I throw stuff into smoothies with fruit so I am able to get them in. Sometimes I get hungry, but I think it's usually around days I do more lifting.
  • tonyalynn26
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    If you're losing, it's working. Personally, I like a LOT of diversity, but only so I don't get bored!
    I love to eat different things but with being so busy it's hard! It's much easier to throw quick things in a bag or blender and go!

The weekends I try to get in different things, but those are busy to, just not as busy as the week!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds are calorically and nutritionally dense. Almonds, pumpkin seeds...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why so low on the fats? 10grams is not a lot...your macros seem very out of whack to be honest.

For a woman to try and get in 166grams of protein a day seems high, 10 grams of fat is really low and a lot of carbs...285grams..wow.

Fats help increase intake as well.

There are a lot of days not logged or partially logged...and with 10lbs to go 1/2lb a week would be more reasonable.

I would suggest evening out your macros for a better balance, using a food scale, logging accurately and consistently and eat what you want...within your goals.
  • tonyalynn26
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    why so low on the fats? 10grams is not a lot...your macros seem very out of whack to be honest.

For a woman to try and get in 166grams of protein a day seems high, 10 grams of fat is really low and a lot of carbs...285grams..wow.

There are a lot of days not logged or partially logged...and with 10lbs to go 1/2lb a week would be more reasonable.

I would suggest evening out your macros for a better balance, using a food scale, logging accurately and consistently and eat what you want...within your goals.

My marcos are not based on what it is set to on here! I can't get them to set right! I am shooting for around 65-70g on fat, Around about 150g of protein, and 200g of carbs. I crossfit and lift heavy so my intake of carbs is kinda high. I use a food scale, and log all my food accurately when I log. I just restarted logging about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago, and the weekends are a hit and miss with logging.
  • elfintomcat
    elfintomcat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I once did the purina diet. You put some dried purina in your pocket. When you get hungry, pop a couple of morsals in your mouth. I lost weight too! until I woke up in the hospital with tubes coming out of me. Seems I stepped off a curb to smell a poodle's butt and got hit by a car!
  • tonyalynn26
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nuts and seeds are calorically and nutritionally dense. Almonds, pumpkin seeds...
    So maybe change up the potatoes for some nuts? Would that be a better choice?
  • tonyalynn26
    Options
    I once did the purina diet. You put some dried purina in your pocket. When you get hungry, pop a couple of morsals in your mouth. I lost weight too! until I woke up in the hospital with tubes coming out of me. Seems I stepped off a curb to smell a poodle's butt and got hit by a car!

What is that suppose to mean?

I am asking for advice! If you have none them why reply?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

My marcos are not based on what it is set to on here! I can't get them to set right! I am shooting for around 65-70g on fat, Around about 150g of protein, and 200g of carbs. I crossfit and lift heavy so my intake of carbs is kinda high. I use a food scale, and log all my food accurately when I log. I just restarted logging about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago, and the weekends are a hit and miss with logging.

Regardless of crossfit and lifting heavy that's still a lot of protein. it's typically 1grams per lb of LBM (unless you weight almost 200 and have an LBM of 150lbs)

The food you log I see in cups and tsp/tbsp, slices of bacon so it may be weighed but it doesn't show that in your diary. Logging accurately means choosing correct entries as well...for example 2oz of chicken you have as 120 calories and 26 grams of protein where the USDA database says 56grams (equals 2 oz) is 92 calories and 17.7 grams of protein.

To set your macros you figure out their %.

I believe each gram of carbs/protein have 4 calories and fat 9 so you have 1800 calories the math would be

200g Carbsx4=800/1800=45%
    150g Proteinx4=600/1800=35% (actually 33% but MFP goes in increments of 5)
    Leaves 20% for fat...hence the issue with your macros.

If you were aiming for those in grams it works out to 2030 calories...not 1800

As a heavy lifter I go 45/25/30...based on LBM of appx 113lbs
  • tonyalynn26
    Options

Regardless of crossfit and lifting heavy that's still a lot of protein. it's typically 1grams per lb of LBM (unless you weight almost 200 and have an LBM of 150lbs)

The food you log I see in cups and tsp/tbsp, slices of bacon so it may be weighed but it doesn't show that in your diary. Logging accurately means choosing correct entries as well...for example 2oz of chicken you have as 120 calories and 26 grams of protein where the USDA database says 56grams (equals 2 oz) is 92 calories and 17.7 grams of protein.

I believe each gram of carbs/protein have 4 calories and fat 9 so you have 1800 calories the math would be

150g Proteinx4=1800=45%
    Leaves 10% for fat...hence the issue with your macros.

Thanks! I will reset my stuff and see how that goes! Hitting marcos and cals at the sametime is new to me and seems kinda hard! I use to do just cals! I weigh 163/164lbs(not sure if you can see that on my profile).
  • tonyalynn26
    Options

150g Proteinx4=600/1800=35% (actually 33% but MFP goes in increments of 5)
    Leaves 20% for fat...hence the issue with your macros.

Also how do I find an accurate listing for foods? I try to scan in all my things with barcodes on mobile and use what the label says, but some I forget or they don't have one and so I look it up on here.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so sorry if this is a silly question, but please can someone tell me what on earth 'flap meat' is? It sounds awful!