Military Diet

Options
What do y'all think? Does it work? Is it worth it? I've been considering doing it, but I don't want to put myself through the 1200 calories a day thing if it doesn't actually work. Thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    1200 calories of any food would accomplish the exact same thing so why not eat stuff you like?
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just search "Military diet" , 1 out of every 1000 people found it helpful, the other 999 are very vocal to denounce it.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    1200 calories of any food would accomplish the exact same thing so why not eat stuff you like?

yup exactly this! a calorie is a calorie u don't need to do some wierd restrictive diet to lose
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh God not this again.
    1. It's not a "military diet". I'm in the military. No.
    2. Calorie deficit, exercise, consistency. That's what will work. You don't need to starve yourself.
  • RandomChick116
    RandomChick116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh God not this again.
    1. It's not a "military diet". I'm in the military. No.
    2. Calorie deficit, exercise, consistency. That's what will work. You don't need to starve yourself.

Thank you
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a miserable few days. Any weight loss you would lose on a crash diet like this you would most likely gain back when the diet is over and you go back to eating like you used to.

^^This is all you need.
  • RandomChick116
    Options
    thanks everyone! This has been VERY helpful!
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    You're welcome :)
  • RandomChick116
    Options

I think it's called "military diet" because it's strict though...haha
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's been around for a long time under different names.

The calorie count is a lot lower than 1200. When other members have put the menu in the database it averages out to about 800 a day.

Whatever you lose will probably be back in a few days after going back to your normal diet (noun).

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, set up MFP with a sustainable calorie goal, read the announcements in the getting started forum and stop looking for a quick fix that is only going to be temporary.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat at a caloric deficit?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's more likely it has that name because those who created it thought it would give it an air of authority. This is pretty common in the fad diet world (Mayo Clinic diet, Russian Gymnast diet, etc).
  • eisterunicorn
    Options

It's more likely it has that name because those who created it thought it would give it an air of authority. This is pretty common in the fad diet world (Mayo Clinic diet, Russian Gymnast diet, etc).

^ I think this too.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    it 'works' if you net a calorie deficit over time. but most people don't find it a very pleasant we to eat.

And whatever reasons they give for you to eat particular kinds of foods on the 'on' days is total BS