Too much water???

Options
Is it possible to drink too much water? I have no problem getting my water in. I can do 12 glasses easy. Is there a point when it's too much? I don't want to start retaining it.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    More water=less retention from my experience.

Too much water would be downing 2 liters an hour and getting water intoxication.

If you aren't literally trying to overdo it with water, you won't.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    love your sig
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

Read this link page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    yes! you can drink too much water! My neighbor drank too much last October and by the time her husband got home from work and called 911 she was nearly dead. She had flushed out all the sodium and potassium in her body.

My doctor and chiropractor both told me to drink half your body weight in ounces a day. In other words, if you weigh 150, you would ideally drink 75 oz a day.

4433730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Technically it's possible, but assuming you have healthy kidneys, water intoxication is only a concern if you're doing *very* long high-intensity exercise like marathon running or you're doing something stupid like trying to drink as much water as you can without stopping. 12 cups in a day is not a concern (assuming you're not drinking all of that at once). Many people regularly drink upwards of 15, 18, 20 glasses a day.

Our kidneys can typically filter approximately 24-32 ounces of water an hour, and even if you exceed that it's not a big concern as long as you're not doing anything extreme. Space your water out throughout the day and you'll be fine.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yep. You can overload your cells until they burst, which can kill you. You just have to be careful not to drink too much water all at once. Like, don't drink a gallon of water within an hour. Someone did that for a radio contest once & died.
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How is a gallon over the course of a day?? I have no problem doing that one!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression the danger was having too much too quickly.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Here's the facts.

It is possible BUT you have to drink A LOT of water in a very SHORT amount of time. If you are drinking it throughout the day and peeing normally and all that you will be fine. Your body can handle a lot so unless you are trying to overload yourself with water you don't have to worry. I drink about 4.5 liters a day which is about 152 US fluid ounces and I'm fine.

Bottom line, you have a VERY slim chance of drinking too much if you are doing it normal.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Here's the facts.

It is possible BUT you have to drink A LOT of water in a very SHORT amount of time. If you are drinking it throughout the day and peeing normally and all that you will be fine. Your body can handle a lot so unless you are trying to overload yourself with water you don't have to worry. I drink about 4.5 liters a day which is about 152 US fluid ounces and I'm fine.

Bottom line, you have a VERY slim chance of drinking too much if you are doing it normal.

Yep. :happy:
  • wheelieblade
    Options
    drink half my bodyweight in water? no way I can do that
  • loopylis
    loopylis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Its dangerous to drink a heck of a lot of water in a very short space of time. As long as you are spacing out the water throughout the day you should be ok.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options

What you do is take your weight divide it in half and that's how many ounces you should drink. I'm 190 which means I should drink 80 ounces of water a day. That's only 10 cups. That's really not that much.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think its good to bear in mind that all things that go in your mouth are a certain percentage of water. That includes tea, coffee, soda's, in fact all drinkds and all foods.

There is an average of 8 glasses per day to keep us hydrated. And a debate as to whether that includes all the above or not.

I think it would be VERY hard to drown yourself, however, it CAN happen. The body does a fine job of keeping electrolytes and sodium in balance, so I feel that if you're running to the bathroom every 15mins, then you're probably drinking too much. I certainly feel that I am guilty of this, especially as the other night I got up out of sleep 10 TIMES!! That is totally excessive fluid consumption, IMHO!! :laugh:

I know on this site everyone advocates the more water the better, but nobody really knows how much is TOO much. So, again, its listening to the body time?

:flowerforyou:
  • wheelieblade
    Options

What you do is take your weight divide it in half and that's how many ounces you should drink. I'm 190 which means I should drink 80 ounces of water a day. That's only 10 cups. That's really not that much.

I've tried it, it messes me up like I said no way can I do that
  • Amers85
    Amers85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. I have 2 600mL Camelbak water bottles that I refill numerous times a day. I normally drink anywhere from 20-25 glasses of water a day. I am still losing weight pretty consistently. I do spread my water drinking out throughout the day.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yup, soldiers out in Iraq have had problems with it apparently. Heavy work in hot sun meant they were sweating tons, drinking tons and were flushing all the salt and stuff out of their bodies. Hubby told me he was made to drink water with salt added to it at one point out there :sick:
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I WISH I HAD YOUR PROBLEM :(