Help me please guys! :)

Options
Hi there! I would massively appreciate some advice please. I'm currently in the process of changing my life by eating healthy foods. I'm a University student, lost over 1.5stone but I ate bad foods and often starved myself. As a result, I'm now "skinny-fat". Not extreme or anything, and I look good clothed it's just I have quite ugly 'love handels'. I want to lose body fat so I'm "skinny" and then from there start to build some muscle.

If you could evaluate my daily foods that'd be great. (I'm 6 foot 2 and 167 lbs by the way).

Breakfast - Banana

Lunch - Carrot, Beetroot and Lettuce Salad with sliced processed low fat turkey, 2 eggs (1 yolk) and low fat garlic dressing.

Snack - Green Tea x3
Low Fat Cheese stick

Dinner - 2 Chicken Breasts, Roasted Celeriac Chips with Rosemary, Roasted Butternut Squash with Chilli and Garden Peas.

I have input this data and my fat seems very high (45% of todays calories). This fat is predominantly from the olive oil I cook the celeriac in.

Todays Total Calories = 1,202
Total Fat = 60 (14g of Saturated Fat)
Total Carbs = 56g
Total Protein = 99g

I am waking up feeling fantastic and skinny, however as the day goes on and I take my top off to look in the mirror I still look shapeless. I have been doing the diet for 3 days. Before I started, my diet was high in sugar and salt.

Replies

• kg00105
    kg00105 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Any help would be great!
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The type of food you eat makes no difference to your body shape.

You need to start lifting heavy and eat at a slight calorie deficit to lower your bodyfat %. Maybe even do a bulk and cut session. That means add more muscle to tone your body and lose fat to show some of the muscle.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    The type of food you eat makes no difference to your body shape.

You need to start lifting heavy and eat at a slight calorie deficit to lower your bodyfat %. Maybe even do a bulk and cut session. That means add more muscle to tone your body and lose fat to show some of the muscle.

Also, when losing, eat at least 100g protein to try and keep your muscle mass, as you lose some of it with the fat while on a deficit.
  • kg00105
    Options
    It must make some sort of difference, after all, I do look better than I did a few days ago? Surely if I continued my old diet of cookies, crisps, cola etc. that's not going to help? I've started swimming and cycling but scared to start using weights as I literally have no muscle anymore and my gym is quite intense (i.e. professional rugby/football teams train there)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    3 days is all? You need three weeks to start noticing something on the scale and even then you need to check measurements from now and then in 3 weeks also judge by your clothes..

3 days? Honey this takes time, dicipline and dilligence and whole lot of patience. Weight loss is not linear either.

Also, eating like this will kill your goals (unless this is new way you want to eat forever)... Incorporate things you love and moderating those portions...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The changes you’re seeing in 3 (!!) days are probably just water weight loss or less bloating. I second the advice to lift weights if you want to change your body. Eating different foods will do nothing except maybe reduce bloating; eating any foods with a caloric deficit means you will lose weight.

Maybe get a personal trainer to get you started with strength training.
  • mrsaha
    mrsaha Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want to shed body fat and keep as much lean body mass as possible, you will need to lift weights and keep your deficit but not have it be too aggressive. You won't build muscle at a deficit. However, you should still be able to get stronger. If the gym seems to intimidating, you can try to look into body weight exercises.
  • Leana088
    Options

You've probably lost water weight that's why you look better.

You must have muscle. If you didn't, you wouldn't be able to move.

Just start somewhere. A calorie deficit will make you lose weight but weight training will make you look good.

I'm also skinny fat. I was weak when I started going to the gym, generally I couldn't lift more than 2 plates on most machines and complete my sets. 3 months later, I'm 3 plates away from the machine's limit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wait a minute..... Hold up!!

You have only 7 pounds to loose and you already lost 5 pounds... When did you loose 5 pounds and what is the real question or advice you are seeking? Did you loose 5 pounds in 3 days???????????

Your expectations are unrealistic.. Plus with only a few pounds to loose this might be more of a challenge (trust me I only have 5 pounds to go) and this take time when done properly...

• Leana088
    Options
    Also, this is a lifestyle change. If you feel you can cut out soda, cookies and whatever else forever then do it. But if you don't make sustainable changes, your success will be short lived and you'll just yoyo. That's why most here prefer the everything in moderation method.

That means you eat healthy most of the time, but do allow yourself treats when you can afford it and your nutrition has been met.
  • mrsaha
    mrsaha Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I see that you are already at a healthy BMI and are a young man. 1200 calories is not going to work to get you strong and muscular! You need to eat and strength train.
  • kg00105
    Options
    Sorry guys I posted in a rush (thank you all for the tips btw). I lost over 1.5 stone in a year and the 5 lbs I lost in the last 3 weeks, not 3 days. My mistake. I am feeling so much better and going to continue to eat this way and treat myself to the foods I love when I need to, meals out etc. so it's nothing drastic. What weight training do you recommend for a beginner?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    kg00105 wrote: »
    Sorry guys I posted in a rush (thank you all for the tips btw). I lost over 1.5 stone in a year and the 5 lbs I lost in the last 3 weeks, not 3 days. My mistake. I am feeling so much better and going to continue to eat this way and treat myself to the foods I love when I need to, meals out etc. so it's nothing drastic. What weight training do you recommend for a beginner?

with so little to lose you should set a goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week and eat back what you burn from exercise.

As for strength training I would suggest you check out starting strength (Book and program) or stonglifts 5x5.

Please eat more that 1200 cals, much much more, no less than 1600
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you have never done weight training, I would recommend getting a personal trainer. Otherwise start small.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You are a 6'2 male.
    1200 calories is not enough. I would guess closer to 1820 minimum. If you are going to strength train you need to even eat over that.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,716 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are at a healthy/normal weight and want to build some muscles and/or recomp.

I don't see how a weight loss regime will accomplish this. Nothing wrong with eating "clean" or better than before AT your tdee while starting to train those muscles.

Sounds like you are just putting off the perceived to be unpleasant task of exiting your comfort zone and having to deal with a gym, lifting weights, and possibly the people at the gym.

You're in good company as I am finding a lot of excuses as to why right now is not quite yet the right time to start lifting weights. Fear of injury, why risk derailing what has been working, cost, having to learn a whole slew of physically coordinated stuff, the intimidating fitness crowds (hey, I'm not saying they have to make sense... they're excuses darn it!)
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

with so little to lose you should set a goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week and eat back what you burn from exercise.

As for strength training I would suggest you check out starting strength (Book and program) or stonglifts 5x5.

Please eat more that 1200 cals, much much more, no less than 1600

Oh wow I just assumed you’re female based on your 1200 calorie target. You really should eat more. +1 for Starting Strength, it’s the program I follow and I really love it. I’m lifting heavy in a deficit and still gaining strength (not muscle, mind you). Do some reading on recomp / bulking, find a strength program that works for you, and you’re off to the races.

P.S. When I first started lifting I was SO intimidated by the weight room. It’s usually full of jocks, mostly dudes, and they’re all really strong and impressive. Just remember that most people there are focused on their own workouts, and once you start seeing results (i.e. increases in your lifts) it will feel amazing!
  • kg00105
    Options
    Thank you guys again. Definitely going to start lifting weights in the gym. I'm quite a sporty person and have read that cardio (I do swimming and badminton) can turn you into a 'fat storing machine' and therefore best to avoid them? Is this true? Also, I'm entirely satisfied at 1200 calories and scared that if I eat any more I'll put on weight. I used to be bullied for being fat and in fear of gaining weight.
  • rosy2car
    rosy2car Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, you are not eating enough. You need to find a personal trainer that can put you on the right track, even if it's only for one month the advice they will provide is invaluable.
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you guys again. Definitely going to start lifting weights in the gym. I'm quite a sporty person and have read that cardio (I do swimming and badminton) can turn you into a 'fat storing machine' and therefore best to avoid them? Is this true? Also, I'm entirely satisfied at 1200 calories and scared that if I eat any more I'll put on weight. I used to be bullied for being fat and in fear of gaining weight.

The first part makes no sense. If you’re burning calories exercising, how does that turn you into a “fat storing machine”? You seem to have some serious misconceptions about weight loss/gain. You lose weight if you eat less than you burn, you gain weight if you eat more. It’s that simple. This of course depends on measuring your food accurately, i.e. using a food scale for solids and cups for liquids.

I recommend you use http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to figure out the calories you need every day and go from there.

Once you get educated a bit on this stuff I hope you’ll find a way to have a better relationship with your body and food. It might be a good idea to also have a chat with a professional about all this.